Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » U++ Developers corner » Issue tracking...
Issue tracking... [message #30619] Wed, 12 January 2011 21:05 Go to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Well, I am late to this as usual (as it was proposed in the past), but now I am definitely ready for some issue tracking system.

I am happy user of Redmine (www.redmine.org) in my job, so I naturally tend to this solution.

However, I am open for other suggestions.

In any case, if it is Redmine:

- one question is whether it is even possible to install it on www.ultimatepp.org, but I guess that should be ok

- anyway, perhaps we would rather install it to the 'hidden' infrastructure server?

Do we want to keep issue tracking hidden (so we do not need to watch our tongues that carefuly), or make it public?

Re: Issue tracking... [message #30620 is a reply to message #30619] Wed, 12 January 2011 21:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

It would clean up the forum a bit... Why not the tracker that already exists on sf.net? Only reason I can see is that it is not on ultimatepp.org (maybe that might be fixed with a little work).

Honza
Re: Issue tracking... [message #30622 is a reply to message #30620] Wed, 12 January 2011 21:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
OK, I shall check sf.net tracker first...
Re: Issue tracking... [message #30623 is a reply to message #30622] Wed, 12 January 2011 21:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
And the googlecode one..
Re: Issue tracking... [message #30624 is a reply to message #30623] Wed, 12 January 2011 21:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
And to sum it up, I was also considering issue tracking as nice case-study for U++ based web development:)
Re: Issue tracking... [message #30633 is a reply to message #30624] Thu, 13 January 2011 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
Hello Mirek

This is a great idea!.

Best regards
IƱaki
Re: Issue tracking... [message #30638 is a reply to message #30624] Thu, 13 January 2011 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
mirek wrote on Wed, 12 January 2011 21:35

And to sum it up, I was also considering issue tracking as nice case-study for U++ based web development:)

That would be very interesting, but I think U++ can benefit from tracker usage *now*, and doing such case study in hurry is not really up to my taste. (although considering how the git was born, it looks like it's my own personal problem Smile (of not doing things in a hurry))
Re: Issue tracking... [message #30645 is a reply to message #30638] Thu, 13 January 2011 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
unodgs is currently offline  unodgs
Ultimate Contributor

Issue tracking is generally a good idea. But I don't need it too much now so if that would speed up developing rainbow project it can be written in upp for me Smile
Re: Issue tracking... [message #30650 is a reply to message #30624] Thu, 13 January 2011 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tojocky is currently offline  tojocky
Contributor

mirek wrote on Wed, 12 January 2011 22:35

I agree with you to make U++ based web development.
I planning to create an issue tracking, integrated with GIT repository (or SVN). Based on web and windows forms.
Web forms i planning to add with v8cgi.

Finally, I can contribute in this project!
Re: Issue tracking... [message #30653 is a reply to message #30645] Thu, 13 January 2011 19:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
unodgs wrote on Thu, 13 January 2011 05:57

Issue tracking is generally a good idea. But I don't need it too much now so if that would speed up developing rainbow project it can be written in upp for me Smile

Well, that 'rainbow' thing is primarily intended to speed up MacOSX/Android/framebuffer ports. Using it for TS-like server was just additional idea; I am afraid that in the end we should support 'proper' web development as well...
Re: Issue tracking... [message #30661 is a reply to message #30653] Fri, 14 January 2011 17:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tojocky is currently offline  tojocky
Contributor

mirek wrote on Thu, 13 January 2011 20:17

unodgs wrote on Thu, 13 January 2011 05:57

Well, that 'rainbow' thing is primarily intended to speed up MacOSX/Android/framebuffer ports. Using it for TS-like server was just additional idea; I am afraid that in the end we should support 'proper' web development as well...

I do not know details 'rainbow'.

Will be exists possibility to:
1. change source code runtime (like in PHP or v8cgi)

This rainbow will not overload the system for more quantity of users?
Re: Issue tracking... [message #30662 is a reply to message #30619] Fri, 14 January 2011 20:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
PHP can't change code dynamically.
Well, it can by calling "eval()", but that's not used.
(anyway, self modifying code was common practice back in past, and it died for quite a valid reasons Wink )

What you probably have on mind is simple deployment of new changes, but that's just implementation detail and can be solved up to some degree even with C++, and also for larger projects this is absolutely non issue, because you definitely don't want your project to just change suddenly, that requires much more planning and strategy with large projects to keep the app running without inconsistencies and noticeable downtime.

If you want just to do some small page and experiment a lot, PHP is excellent choice and I don't see a reason to compete with it in such case.

Rainbow project is anyway almost completely unrelated to web development, except the ability to run more of U++ core in server environment without GUI and with smaller platform dependency, so porting and maintaining will be simpler.

[Updated on: Fri, 14 January 2011 20:08]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Issue tracking... [message #30736 is a reply to message #30623] Wed, 19 January 2011 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chickenk is currently offline  chickenk
Experienced Member
mirek wrote on Wed, 12 January 2011 21:27

And the googlecode one..

Well, after having used it a bit more on other projects, I must say that googlecode issue tracker is not that bad. It seems too 'light' at first when you see the plain text box for entering the bug description, but after all it's sufficient. And the features are elsewhere :

- you (core devs) can apply labels to filter issues by themes (think gmail-like filters)... handy
- any observer can easily subscribe and get email notifications when the issue is updated (right, this one is present on most of issue tracking systems)
- any observer can suggest a patch by directly editing source code from the browser app ! I just used this and it's very handy. It creates an issue of type 'Patch' with the suggested patch attached.
- there are interactions between source code repo and issue list (Redmine does the same kind of thing) with an API that enables to control issues from commit messages (ex. you write 'Fixes issue 1234) and the issue 1234 is changed to fixed.

All in all, it seems everything useful is inside. And I've not seen the owner/admin side of googlecode yet.

My 2 cents,
Lionel
Re: Issue tracking... [message #30741 is a reply to message #30619] Wed, 19 January 2011 22:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
harmac is currently offline  harmac
Promising Member
When thinking about improvements for development, it might also be a good idea to consider changing to a distributed version control system. There has already been some discussion about that in the coffee corner. I think, I should go there later and also add something to the discussion, as I've recently read about a couple of systems around of which Bazaar and Fossil looked the most promising to me.

Speaking of the latter, it has some unique features and its being BSD licensed might also be worth taking a look on it, as you mentioned having considered issue tracking as a case study for U++ web development (what exactly does that mean, did you think of writing an issue tracker?). In particular, it is self-contained and integrates bug tracking and a wiki for documentation with its version control that allows for distributed working. So, if I've read that correctly, you can for example write offline in the wiki and commit changes locally and push them later to a central repository the same way as you'd do it with code when using the system with autosync off. While a GUI is missing, which I consider a weakness, the author argues that it is not necessary, because there's a web interface.

Otherwise, I'd suggest not to use sourceforge, because I have the impression that the site loads annoyingly slowly when compared to googlecode, which might be the best choice among third party web hosted trackers.

Are there any specific requirements for functionality that shouldn't be missing?
Re: Issue tracking... [message #30742 is a reply to message #30741] Thu, 20 January 2011 00:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
unknown user
harmac wrote on Wed, 19 January 2011 22:49

When thinking about improvements for development, it might also be a good idea to consider changing to a distributed version control system. There has already been some discussion about that in the coffee corner. I think, I should go there later and also add something to the discussion, as I've recently read about a couple of systems around of which Bazaar and Fossil looked the most promising to me.

Off-topic:

IMO git fit better with U++ design. One can checkout a branch (change from one branch to other) in same directory so there is no need to add new assembly to TheIde, only reload the files (which TheIde already do) - one reason why i use git with U++.

If i understand correctly fossil repo is one single file? SQLite DB? You have to run "open" command to map the file to a directory and "close" when you done - that doesn't worth the effort Smile IMO fossil should exist only in museum. Razz

Bazaar is ok (a bit slow), but it can't have branches to share same directory (AFAIK), and switch from one to another.

Andrei
Re: Issue tracking... [message #30744 is a reply to message #30742] Thu, 20 January 2011 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kohait00 is currently offline  kohait00
Experienced Contributor
glad to see things going this direction..
Quote:

When thinking about improvements for development, it might also be a good idea to consider changing to a distributed version control system.

totally agree with it. this makes developping things really smooth. and cleans up the forum. otoh, having code examples and 'geek upp terminology' (things beginners wouldnt first search for in upp/and help forum) really helps the learning process.. so totally dismiss them (issue threads) there would probably make learning for the 'others' (non-developers) more difficult.

in terms of bug tracking: i'd suggest to use a BT that can be integrated with the version control of choice (see coffe corner: GIT). so i'd suggest 'mantis' which might not seem too fancy but is just the right choice for most things, and has GIT integration plugins.

but some research revealed: Redmine is just as potent for integrating GIT. and it looks better Smile

so, for mireks sake, i'd suggest to switch over to Redmine/GIT.
(for git, all version history from svn can be imported, i'm having running a git mirror from upp locally, and someone is running a public one as well, Mindtraveller, right?). this would speed up migrating (just pass over a rar file).
Re: Issue tracking... [message #30746 is a reply to message #30744] Thu, 20 January 2011 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chickenk is currently offline  chickenk
Experienced Member
I've been suggesting and using Redmine at work for a few projects, and I've always been happy with it indeed. Seems my colleagues appreciated is as well, they can't do without Redmine now. So for git and project management integration (including BT and source code viewer), I vote for Redmine definitely.

Lionel
Re: Issue tracking... [message #30747 is a reply to message #30746] Thu, 20 January 2011 14:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Well, I have found that redmine is in the main Ubuntu 10.04 repo, which seems to make me prefer 'redmine on infrastructure server' variant.

As for GIT, well, I guess at the moment I am too invested into svn. I believe that most of what GIT would give as can be quite painlessly achieved by making 'branches' directory of svn r/w for every 'primary svn' user.
Re: Issue tracking... [message #30753 is a reply to message #30747] Thu, 20 January 2011 15:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kohait00 is currently offline  kohait00
Experienced Contributor
sure. no doubt about that.

we are using git in company now for about 1 year. it's been a pain relief Smile. cause branching is really fast and one can keep an eye on the changes that happened. svn is just too slow in that sense.
another advantage is the possibility to follow others' repo's and cherry picking some commit while rejecting/ignoring others. nead features that just make life more productive. i can provide some really good information sources on git. maybe reconsider it Smile maybe it's not bad to change/introduce both at once, as one step, to spare some pain.
Re: Issue tracking... [message #30755 is a reply to message #30741] Thu, 20 January 2011 15:54 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
fudadmin is currently offline  fudadmin
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
harmac wrote on Wed, 19 January 2011 21:49

When thinking about improvements for development, it might also be a good idea to consider changing to a distributed version control system.

+1.

Btw, fossil is a good discovery (until someone rewrites UVS ... Rolling Eyes )
Fossil Versus Git
GIT ---------------- vs FOSSIL
File versioning only ----|| Versioning, Tickets, Wiki, and Blog/News
Sharding ----------------|| Replicating
Huge community ------|| Road less traveled
Complex ----------------|| Intuitive
Separate web tools ---|| Integrated Web interface
Lots of little tools -----|| Single executable
Pile-of-files repository-|| Single file repository
Uses "rebase" ----------|| Immutable
GPL ----------------------|| BSD
Previous Topic: SSE2(/AVX) and alignment issues