Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ TheIDE » U++ TheIDE: Other Features Wishlist and/or Bugs » IDE still goes into the foreground
IDE still goes into the foreground [message #30872] Thu, 27 January 2011 10:27 Go to next message
coolman is currently offline  coolman
Experienced Member
Hi,

I have a problem with the IDE, which still goes into the forefront when I start compiling the program and minimize the IDE or run another program. This includes the debugging of programs under development.

IDE version 3084, Fedora 14, i686

This problem does not appear in the version 2929.

Radek
Re: IDE still goes into the foreground [message #30878 is a reply to message #30872] Thu, 27 January 2011 14:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

coolman wrote on Thu, 27 January 2011 10:27

Hi,

I have a problem with the IDE, which still goes into the forefront when I start compiling the program and minimize the IDE or run another program. This includes the debugging of programs under development.

Radek

Hi Radek,

I'm not sure if it is a new problem, as I experience this (or similar) annoying behavior for quite a long time (I'm quite certain that it is longer than from 2929). Maybe some change occurred recently in your desktop environment settings, that just made it visible?

For me the problem is that theide "pops up" when compilation is finished and when breakpoint is hit during the debugging. The most disturbing part is that if I happen to work on different virtual desktop then theide runs at, I am abruptly taken back to the desktop where theide is.

I think this behavior should be changed or made configurable... Good compromise would be probably just to notify the user by blinking taskbar item (as many IM apps do when message is received; it should be possible both on Linux and win), what do you think?

Best regards,
Honza
Re: IDE still goes into the foreground [message #30905 is a reply to message #30878] Fri, 28 January 2011 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
dolik.rce wrote on Thu, 27 January 2011 14:49

coolman wrote on Thu, 27 January 2011 10:27

Hi,

Radek

Hi Radek,

I'm not sure if it is a new problem, as I experience this (or similar) annoying behavior for quite a long time (I'm quite certain that it is longer than from 2929). Maybe some change occurred recently in your desktop environment settings, that just made it visible?

For me the problem is that theide "pops up" when compilation is finished and when breakpoint is hit during the debugging. The most disturbing part is that if I happen to work on different virtual desktop then theide runs at, I am abruptly taken back to the desktop where theide is.

I think this behavior should be changed or made configurable... Good compromise would be probably just to notify the user by blinking taskbar item (as many IM apps do when message is received; it should be possible both on Linux and win), what do you think?

Best regards,
Honza

Hi,

Thanks for answer. I have both IDE version (2929 and 3084) on the same desktop without new enviroment settings.

Radek

[Updated on: Fri, 28 January 2011 09:22]

Report message to a moderator

Re: IDE still goes into the foreground [message #30908 is a reply to message #30905] Fri, 28 January 2011 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

coolman wrote on Fri, 28 January 2011 09:21

Hi,

Thanks for answer. I have both IDE version (2929 and 3084) on the same desktop without new enviroment settings.

Radek

Ok, than it is really something new and maybe not related to my problem... Anyway I will try to find out where is the problem and fix it.

Honza
Re: IDE still goes into the foreground [message #30929 is a reply to message #30908] Fri, 28 January 2011 14:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fudadmin is currently offline  fudadmin
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
Could be this related to this bug?
Re: IDE still goes into the foreground [message #30930 is a reply to message #30929] Fri, 28 January 2011 16:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

fudadmin wrote on Fri, 28 January 2011 14:29

Wow. At first, I was thinking this can't be related at all. But... After some debugging and trying to find out whats going on I found out that theide is actually brought to foreground by SetFocus(), by exactly the same line you spotted and commented out in your macosx patch. So I tried to comment it out just as you did and voilą, it works Smile Single line commented out and theide works as one would expect...

Still it doesn't fully explain why it would start between 2929 and 3084, since the line in question was sitting in the code for 4 years or so. It might be some side effect of latest changes in minimize/maximize handling and/or some other changes in CtrlCore that happened lately.

I am really curious about what Mirek will say about removing this line. He's probably the only one who can remember why he put it there Smile It was even before SVN, so there is no log for us to read Confused

Honza
Re: IDE still goes into the foreground [message #30960 is a reply to message #30930] Sun, 30 January 2011 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
I suggest to continue this debate in the other thread... Smile
Re: IDE still goes into the foreground [message #30980 is a reply to message #30929] Mon, 31 January 2011 09:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member

Hi,

Thanks for the tip but it didn't help me. I commented the line and it had no effect.

Radek
Re: IDE still goes into the foreground [message #30983 is a reply to message #30980] Mon, 31 January 2011 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

coolman wrote on Mon, 31 January 2011 09:16

Hi,

Thanks for the tip but it didn't help me. I commented the line and it had no effect.

Radek

Hi,
Interesting, so your problem is really different than what I experienced. But since I can't/don't know how to reproduce it, it'll be kind of difficult to help...

It might help a lot if we narrow down the range of versions where this problem appeared. Could you try to test few other versions? The best ones to start with are probably 2938, 2941, 2972 and maybe 2955, which brought changes in CtrlCore and ide big enough to cause this.

Honza
Re: IDE still goes into the foreground [message #30985 is a reply to message #30983] Mon, 31 January 2011 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
try the other thread update update
Re: IDE still goes into the foreground [message #30993 is a reply to message #30985] Mon, 31 January 2011 15:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
fudadmin wrote on Mon, 31 January 2011 13:16

try the other thread update update

Hi,

This doesn't work too.

I have found that version 2929 is latest 'good' version. IDE version 2938 is from my point of view 'bad'. Smile

Radek
Re: IDE still goes into the foreground [message #30996 is a reply to message #30993] Mon, 31 January 2011 15:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

Good, so it was most probably something in 2938. There were some changes to max/minimization code, but for now I can't see anything that could cause your problems...

Also, there was some confusion in the other thread, with some messed up identifiers. Can you please confirm once more that putting
if(activate) topwindow->SetWndForeground();
in Ctrl::SetFocus(bool activate) doesn't help?

Honza
Re: IDE still goes into the foreground [message #30997 is a reply to message #30996] Mon, 31 January 2011 15:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
Can you check this, please:
if(activate)
    topctrl->SetWndForeground();

because this:

prevents menus in OSX11 and might on other unix'es as well.
Re: IDE still goes into the foreground [message #31058 is a reply to message #30997] Thu, 03 February 2011 07:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
fudadmin wrote on Mon, 31 January 2011 15:43

Can you check this, please:
if(activate)
    topctrl->SetWndForeground();

because this:

prevents menus in OSX11 and might on other unix'es as well.

Hi,

It doesn't work. Problem still remains.

Radek
Re: IDE still goes into the foreground [message #31060 is a reply to message #31058] Thu, 03 February 2011 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

That's bad news, I was still hoping that it would solve it for you too Confused

Well, I guess we'll have to look deeper into the changes in 2938. I'll try prepare some test and contact you via PM (no need for so much details here on the forum, especially as you are the only one experiencing the problem).

Honza

PS: Just to make sure, is 2929 the last working or 2038 the first broken?
Re: IDE still goes into the foreground [message #31066 is a reply to message #31060] Thu, 03 February 2011 16:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
could you try the latest from the other topic
Re: IDE still goes into the foreground [message #31084 is a reply to message #31060] Fri, 04 February 2011 10:39 Go to previous message
Experienced Member
dolik.rce wrote on Thu, 03 February 2011 09:59

That's bad news, I was still hoping that it would solve it for you too Confused

Well, I guess we'll have to look deeper into the changes in 2938. I'll try prepare some test and contact you via PM (no need for so much details here on the forum, especially as you are the only one experiencing the problem).

Honza

PS: Just to make sure, is 2929 the last working or 2038 the first broken?

Yes, 2929 is the last "working" and 2938 is "broken". It is just little inconvenience, especially when debugging. But I can live with that.

Radek
Previous Topic: Split window
Next Topic: Include file hangs Theide
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 09:40:42 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00893 seconds