Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » U++ Developers corner » TheIde new look and new features
Re: TheIde new look [message #30915 is a reply to message #30914] Fri, 28 January 2011 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Well, this is really a nice debate. Anyway, to get somewhere, might I ask Uno or somebody else to materialize it into Redmine tasks? Smile

We can then assign priority and start working...
Re: TheIde new look [message #30917 is a reply to message #30915] Fri, 28 January 2011 11:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
unodgs is currently offline  unodgs
Ultimate Contributor

mirek wrote on Fri, 28 January 2011 04:40

Well, this is really a nice debate. Anyway, to get somewhere, might I ask Uno or somebody else to materialize it into Redmine tasks? Smile

I'll do this soon Smile
Re: TheIde new look [message #30918 is a reply to message #30917] Fri, 28 January 2011 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
unodgs wrote on Fri, 28 January 2011 05:19

mirek wrote on Fri, 28 January 2011 04:40

I'll do this soon Smile

Make it small.

I mean, make tasks as atomic as possible...
Re: TheIde new look [message #30946 is a reply to message #30914] Sat, 29 January 2011 01:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gprentice is currently offline  gprentice
Experienced Member
mirek wrote

No, but it is debatable. I mean, what is going there that at some operations you simply store the position. Personally, I do not think this should happen with regular cursor movemement. Maybe jump to the beginning of file or end of file. Or maybe we can even make it configurable, it is quite simple.

Anyway, mechanism is already there, I guess there is no need to create some new one, just to refine the existing.

I didn't intend my comments to be a feature request. I was just trying to say that code navigation is more important than code folding because I'm navigating code continually but only need code folding occasionally. Code folding is useful for outlining of large functions. Attached is an example from a 1200 line function from slickedit "Slick C" source.

Most editors can display a list of function headings for the current source file (as MindTraveller suggested) but usually they do it through a separate dialog or drop-down list. Maybe the navigate in file dialog could let you restrict the list to function headings and use that to display a list of functions in the current file.

Go to matching brace is a common feature theIde doesn't seem to have - maybe context go to could do that when the cursor is on a brace.
Why doesn't the mousewheel work in the keyboard shortcuts dialog?

Regarding cursor retrace, I use it for swapping back and forth between two places in the code but also for cycling round the last few places I've been - which is a bit different to how web browser alt-left/right work because as soon as you go in a "new direction" the web browser throws away a bunch of places that you've just been to. Probably an easy one theIde could have is to jump back to the last place where you modified some code.

Anyway, I'm sure I could implement cursor retrace for theIde if I wanted to but my desire is to try and improve theIde help.

Graeme

[Updated on: Sat, 29 January 2011 01:10]

Report message to a moderator

Re: TheIde new look [message #30958 is a reply to message #30946] Sun, 30 January 2011 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
gprentice wrote on Fri, 28 January 2011 19:09

Go to matching brace is a common feature theIde doesn't seem to have.

Ctrl+[
Ctrl+]

http://www.ultimatepp.org/app$ide$Keys$en-us.html

Maybe we should put all these functions to the 'Edit' (in some 'Goto' submenu) only to make them exposed Smile

Re: TheIde new look [message #30969 is a reply to message #30958] Sun, 30 January 2011 17:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novo is currently offline  Novo
Ultimate Contributor
mirek wrote on Sun, 30 January 2011 03:45

gprentice wrote on Fri, 28 January 2011 19:09

Go to matching brace is a common feature theIde doesn't seem to have.

Ctrl+[
Ctrl+]

http://www.ultimatepp.org/app$ide$Keys$en-us.html

Maybe we should put all these functions to the 'Edit' (in some 'Goto' submenu) only to make them exposed Smile

Behaviour of Ctrl+] is kind of strange. If cursor is positioned on '{' (looks like before, and it is a first character in a line) then it will jump to a next matching '}'. If cursor is positioned right after '{' (at the end of a line) then it will jump to a next '(' (next opening bracket).

Ctrl+[ works slightly differently. If cursor is positioned on or after '}' (the only symbol in a line), it will jump to a correct matching '}'.

Regards,
Novo
Re: TheIde new look [message #30972 is a reply to message #30946] Sun, 30 January 2011 18:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

gprentice wrote on Sat, 29 January 2011 01:09

Go to matching brace is a common feature theIde doesn't seem to have - maybe context go to could do that when the cursor is on a brace.

Just for completeness: Context go to already jumps between brackets. But only if there's not something more interesting on the other side of the cursor Wink See void Ide::ContextGoto0(), there is a lot of (probably undocumented) functionality for context jumps.

Honza
Re: TheIde new look [message #30982 is a reply to message #30958] Mon, 31 January 2011 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
mirek wrote on Sun, 30 January 2011 09:45

remove "Maybe". Smile
Re: TheIde new look [message #31114 is a reply to message #30982] Sat, 05 February 2011 18:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sergeynikitin is currently offline  sergeynikitin
Contributor

Friends!! Tabs in TheIde very beautiful, but only under Windows. I installed SVN 3149 under UBUNTU. Now is not visible while dragging the tab nothing.
Previously, even a color bar - pointer to dragging.

And another problem under Linux. During compilation window TheIde always goes on foreground, closing the other windows. You can save the situation only minimize the window TheIde. In 2791 this was not.

SergeyNikitin<U++>( linux, wine )
{
    under( Ubuntu || Debian || Raspbian );
}

[Updated on: Sat, 05 February 2011 18:55]

Report message to a moderator

Re: TheIde new look [message #31235 is a reply to message #31114] Wed, 16 February 2011 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

sergeynikitin wrote on Sat, 05 February 2011 12:55

Now is not visible while dragging the tab nothing

Thanks. Confirmed. I'll fix this soon!
By the way: I'm little bit busy now but I'm planning to sum up all the things we were discussing here soon. Good news is I fixed one of critical bugs regarding docking in ide and I hope to get docking working sooner than I expected Smile
Re: TheIde new look [message #33317 is a reply to message #31235] Sun, 24 July 2011 18:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
281264 is currently offline  281264
Experienced Member
Hi chaps,

When are you planning to issue a renewed (more modern look) version of U++?

Javier
Re: TheIde new look [message #33397 is a reply to message #33317] Sun, 31 July 2011 23:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
Any idea ? Smile

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: TheIde new look [message #33402 is a reply to message #33397] Mon, 01 August 2011 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
koldo wrote on Sun, 31 July 2011 17:19

Any idea ? Smile

Personally, I doubt I will have time to improve theide looks this year. Now that we have finished rainbow, I think the priority for me should be to support others while they develop Mac and Android ports.

Meanwhile, we need 'real' umake (without the need of X11), do some fixing in Linux look&feel.

And I would also like to start development of U++ as web framework... (I have some pretty nice idea, e.g. what about using .lay files for web? Smile

Anyway, 'ide' is open for community development, either as current package or perhaps a branch...

Mirek
Re: TheIde new look [message #33405 is a reply to message #33397] Mon, 01 August 2011 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

koldo wrote on Sun, 31 July 2011 17:19

Any idea ? Smile

I would really like to correct few thing in theide, unfortunately lack of time is the only reason that stops me Smile Similarly to Mirek I'm focused on rainbow right now as this is very important to my current project. However ide look is still an open discussion and I hope we'll get back to it as soon as possible.
Re: TheIde new look [message #33408 is a reply to message #33405] Mon, 01 August 2011 09:58 Go to previous message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
Hello Mirek and Daniel

Your are really right. Rainbow and porting are strategic. It is not far now! Smile

Best regards
Iñaki
Previous Topic: Docking
Next Topic: v8 JavaScript in U++
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 01:03:14 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02847 seconds