Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Newbie corner » Introduction (Howard Lee Harkness)
Introduction (Howard Lee Harkness) [message #31291] Sat, 19 February 2011 03:35 Go to next message
CppMod is currently offline  CppMod
Promising Member
I happened to be the moderator "on duty" when I got an announcement message for U++ submitted to comp.lang.c++.moderated yesterday. To do due diligence, I checked out the URL given in the message, which led me here. I haven't had time to grok all of U++, but I hope to find a good use for it. The whole idea behind U++ appeals to me.

Some newbie questions, though... Does U++ had a TDD library (such as CPPUnit)? I see that there is an initiative to compose a book about U++. Is the documentation in a form that would make extraction of a book/course notes/tutorial/etc possible from a single body of documentation? I co-authored a course with Dr. Oberg (of Object Innovations), which we did in XML so that generation of course material, tutorial, and book was just a matter of which way we parsed it. Something very much like that should be possible with CSS.

One last one: It isn't obvious how to enter a photo to use as my avatar. Do I need to use a URL where it says "image"? UPDATE: I found it, and uploaded my photo. Now awaiting approval, I guess. The photo is really me, gray beard and all.

I'll try not to stay a newbie long Smile

611bb927f8731cdc83c3f1eb09e758ac

[Updated on: Sat, 19 February 2011 03:46]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Introduction (Howard Lee Harkness) [message #31294 is a reply to message #31291] Sat, 19 February 2011 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
CppMod wrote on Fri, 18 February 2011 21:35

I happened to be the moderator "on duty" when I got an announcement message for U++ submitted to comp.lang.c++.moderated yesterday. To do due diligence, I checked out the URL given in the message, which led me here. I haven't had time to grok all of U++, but I hope to find a good use for it. The whole idea behind U++ appeals to me.

Some newbie questions, though... Does U++ had a TDD library (such as CPPUnit)?

So far there seems to be bazaar/UnitTest++.

Quote:

I see that there is an initiative to compose a book about U++. Is the documentation in a form that would make extraction of a book/course notes/tutorial/etc possible from a single body of documentation?

More or less. I believe the possible answer to this question is this website, which is (except the forum) regenerated each night from U++ documentation sources (using U++ code, there is 'uppbox/uppweb' package that does just that).

There is an initiative to generate the book, I believe it should not be that hard, using similar process. We can certainly output topics (U++ doc unit) to pdf just as easily as to html.

Bigger problem is that docs unfortunately still lag behind, way too many parts are still not covered.

Mirek
Re: Introduction (Howard Lee Harkness) [message #31295 is a reply to message #31294] Sat, 19 February 2011 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CppMod is currently offline  CppMod
Promising Member
mirek wrote on Sat, 19 February 2011 03:19

Bigger problem is that docs unfortunately still lag behind, way too many parts are still not covered.Mirek
Such is the way of most open-source projects. Actually, pretty much every software project I've ever worked on, except for my last job, which was development of COTS software for commercial sale -- that company took an entirely different view of documentation.

611bb927f8731cdc83c3f1eb09e758ac
Re: Introduction (Howard Lee Harkness) [message #31299 is a reply to message #31295] Sat, 19 February 2011 16:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
Hello Howard

All U++ help and doc is in files with T++ format (.tpp). They are edited in TheIDE. There are also functions to convert T++ pages into html or pdf.

As Mirek says, using this, uppweb is an application that is run everyday to get the U++ web page from all U++ docs plus svn. You can run it in your computer to get the updated web. Open obtained index.html and it link it to all in your pc.

About the book, now UltimateBook (100% based in uppweb), generates a +1000 pages pdf with all U++ doc.

With a little effort the chapters could be well ordered and taking care of page formating, all book would have the same look.

An additional thing is that the T++ links (to internet or to other T++ docs) remain when converted to html, but they disappear when converting to pdf. It does not seem difficult to solve this.

Best regards
IƱaki
Re: Introduction (Howard Lee Harkness) [message #31321 is a reply to message #31291] Mon, 21 February 2011 11:49 Go to previous message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
I'm did use bazaar/UnitTest++ to work in TDD way on some small CLI tools. Didn't try it for GUI, UnitTest++ as is will be surely workable base for that, but for final GUI testing you would need probably to employ some bigger gun, like Selenium or similar.
But for CLI tools it's ready to go, tested on real world projects.
Previous Topic: How to add controls from bazaar in my apps ?
Next Topic: expected template name ???
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 05:22:15 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02389 seconds