FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » U++ Developers corner » Google Summer of Code
Re: Google Summer of Code [message #31347 is a reply to message #31342] Thu, 24 February 2011 05:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novo is currently offline  Novo
Ultimate Contributor
koldo wrote on Wed, 23 February 2011 10:34

Hello Novo

In this recent post mirek said he did not want a dynamic plugin.

I had a similar discussion with Mirek about DLLs a long time ago. Mirek didn't want to use DLLs because of performance reason. Statically linked application is much faster. I agree with that.

Actually, in case of "application as DLL" you do not need to ask Mirek's permission because you do not need to change UPP. Smile

IMHO this discussion is offtopic in this thread. Let's move it somewhere else.

Regards,
Novo
Re: Google Summer of Code [message #31350 is a reply to message #31347] Thu, 24 February 2011 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
Hello Novo

You are right.

Please detail as much as possible, as clear as possible your idea and follow the format here.

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Google Summer of Code [message #31364 is a reply to message #31310] Fri, 25 February 2011 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gprentice is currently offline  gprentice
Experienced Member
koldo wrote on Mon, 21 February 2011 05:11

Hello Graeme

I have added your idea. Please review and complete it, specially the extra credits.

Sorry for the delay but due to a catastrophic earthquake here in Christchurch NZ, I've had no power or water for the last 3 days. I'm fine though, unlike a few people.

Regarding the extra credits
1. Converting to PDF - we can do this already, right? I know nothing about it but the table of contents and preferably also the index, need to become a clickable table of contents and a clickable index and also the links need to work - may be a bit of a challenge. Perhaps a project on its own.

2. Convert to google docs format - this was just a wild thought because it's a google thing. Google docs allows simultaneous online changes by multiple users so possibly people could write and maintain an individual help page as a google doc and import as a topic page when convenient. With a proper help infrastructure, people might become more interested in updating the help and the easier it is, the more likely people are to contribute.

3. Automate the mechanism for submitting changes to the help - relating to what I said just above, automate the process so that people are more likely to contribute. How easy are topic++ files to diff? Maybe something for a student to investigate. Maybe Google docs is a solution.

Graeme
Re: Google Summer of Code [message #31365 is a reply to message #31364] Fri, 25 February 2011 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Veteran
Thank you Graeme

I hope you and your family are all ok:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/christchurch-earthquake-photos/new s/headlines.cfm?c_id=1503036

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Google Summer of Code [message #31385 is a reply to message #31350] Sun, 27 February 2011 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novo is currently offline  Novo
Ultimate Contributor
koldo wrote on Thu, 24 February 2011 05:00

Hello Novo

You are right.

Please detail as much as possible, as clear as possible your idea and follow the format here.

I've made a small example for Windows.

It works. I'm not sure that this project is a good candidate for GSOC, but it looks like nobody else is using this trick. UPP could be the first.

It is up to the UPP community to decide.

Regards,
Novo
Re: Google Summer of Code [message #31396 is a reply to message #31385] Mon, 28 February 2011 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tojocky is currently offline  tojocky
Contributor

Another Idea:
- Name:
IPC(Inter-process Communication) using named pipes (local host) and socket (network)
- Proposed by:
Ion Lupascu
- Difficulty:
Medium
- Experience required:
UPP, socket, named pipes (POSIX, WINDOWS)
- Description:
Using IPC can create a stable plugin manager with crash prevent (ex: Google Chrome), running parallel scripts of V8 JavaScript, etc. A good experience result is chromium project (Google Chrome).
- Mentors:
Ion Lupascu
- Roadmap:
TBD
Re: Google Summer of Code [message #31397 is a reply to message #31396] Mon, 28 February 2011 15:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chickenk is currently offline  chickenk
Experienced Member
tojocky wrote on Mon, 28 February 2011 15:00

Another Idea:
- Name:
IPC(Inter-process Communication) using named pipes (local host) and socket (network)
- Proposed by:
Ion Lupascu

My 2 cents: We could even benefit from using the ZeroMQ framework here, that makes an awesome abstraction of IPC/sockets/whatever layers...

I dream of seeing ZeroMQ wrappers in U++. Some C++ bindings already exist.

Lionel
Re: Google Summer of Code [message #31398 is a reply to message #31397] Mon, 28 February 2011 18:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor

chickenk wrote on Mon, 28 February 2011 16:49

Another Idea:
- Name:
- Proposed by:
Ion Lupascu

My 2 cents: We could even benefit from using the ZeroMQ framework here, that makes an awesome abstraction of IPC/sockets/whatever layers...

Lionel

Thank you. I will analyze this. Is better to integrate a well supported project instead of individual project.

[Updated on: Mon, 28 February 2011 20:28]

Report message to a moderator

icon4.gif  Re: Google Summer of Code [message #31422 is a reply to message #31398] Tue, 01 March 2011 15:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Veteran
Well, we are (almost) officially candidates for GSoC 2011.

This year there are two new questions:

- If you are a small or new organization applying to GSoC, please list a larger, established GSoC organization or a Googler that can vouch for you here.

- If you are a large organization who is vouching for a small organization applying to GSoC for their first time this year, please list their name and why you think they'd be good candidates for GSoC here:

If you know an organization that could vouch us please try your best Smile. The deadline is March 11, 2011 at 23:00 UTC.

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Google Summer of Code [message #31424 is a reply to message #31397] Tue, 01 March 2011 17:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor

chickenk wrote on Mon, 28 February 2011 16:49

Another Idea:
- Name:
- Proposed by:
Ion Lupascu

Lionel

First stept of integration is ready!

Thank you for saving my time!
Re: Google Summer of Code [message #31437 is a reply to message #31422] Wed, 02 March 2011 09:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Veteran
koldo wrote on Tue, 01 March 2011 15:39

Well, we are (almost) officially candidates for GSoC 2011.

This year there are two new questions:

- If you are a small or new organization applying to GSoC, please list a larger, established GSoC organization or a Googler that can vouch for you here.

- If you are a large organization who is vouching for a small organization applying to GSoC for their first time this year, please list their name and why you think they'd be good candidates for GSoC here:

If you know an organization that could vouch us please try your best Smile. The deadline is March 11, 2011 at 23:00 UTC.

Google people said this in discussion groups:

Google puts a lot of trust into the organizations that are taking part in GSoC. The idea behind this "voucher" is that if you're a new and lesser known organizaton, that you try and find an established org that can vouch for you so that Google extends the trust they put into them onto your org.

You can still apply without it, but if you're really small, new, and unknown, having some other org vouch for you would probably increase your chances.

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Google Summer of Code [message #31485 is a reply to message #31437] Sat, 05 March 2011 22:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
unknown user
Did U++ applied for GSoC? Or we're waiting for an organization who can vouch us?

Andrei
Re: Google Summer of Code [message #31487 is a reply to message #31485] Sun, 06 March 2011 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Veteran
andreincx wrote on Sat, 05 March 2011 22:48

Did U++ applied for GSoC? Or we're waiting for an organization who can vouch us?

Andrei

Hello Andrei

Yes, as in previous year, we have applied. We have one week to do changes in the application. See here the timeline.

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Google Summer of Code [message #31529 is a reply to message #31487] Thu, 10 March 2011 23:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Veteran
Alea jacta est.
Whoever has any objections, speak now or forever hold your peace. Smile
(Friday is the last day)

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Google Summer of Code [message #31669 is a reply to message #31529] Sat, 19 March 2011 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
unknown user
U++ was not accepted Sad
Re: Google Summer of Code [message #31677 is a reply to message #31669] Sat, 19 March 2011 17:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Veteran
Oh yes, it is official.

Thank you for your effort.

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Google Summer of Code [message #31686 is a reply to message #31677] Sat, 19 March 2011 23:07 Go to previous message
Contributor

koldo wrote on Sat, 19 March 2011 18:50

Oh yes, it is official.

Thank you for your effort.

Thank you Koldo for your great efforts!

I thing that we can continue without GSOC. Every of us have our little projects for existence. if we improve our code and make it better, than in a short time we can achieve more success.

Together we can do more!
Previous Topic: About Painter vs OpenGL
Next Topic: Question about pick behaviour
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 21:39:23 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01253 seconds