Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » U++ community news and announcements » Use unique output directory per assembly (append assembly name to output director)
Use unique output directory per assembly (append assembly name to output director) [message #31490] Sun, 06 March 2011 20:55 Go to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
I have made a subtle change in theide building process:

Output directory now appends a name of assembly. It means that each assembly now has unique set of output files (like .obj or .lib). Quite often, this will lead to unnecessarry duplication, and it is also true that the same thing could have been achieved before by specifying different out directory.

Whatever, this is still a little bit better when frequently working with branches.

Whole thing is optional and can be switched off in Setup/Environment.
Re: Use unique output directory per assembly (append assembly name to output director) [message #31491 is a reply to message #31490] Sun, 06 March 2011 21:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mindtraveller is currently offline  Mindtraveller
Experienced Contributor

Will it be disabled by default?
Re: Use unique output directory per assembly (append assembly name to output director) [message #31493 is a reply to message #31490] Sun, 06 March 2011 22:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

Good idea Mirek!

I understand your motivation very well... I have some asemblies that differ just in one directory, e.g. one works with stable sources and the other with development version. Few times I got terribly stuck with weird bugs, which I later discovered to be caused by out-of-date .o files. If I understand correctly, this should solve this in future.

I know you considered using md5 or some other hash as the unique identifier, why did you decide to use name in the end? Actually I would prefer the unique part to be hash of the nests inside given assembly, even though the output directory names would be less readable. The reason why I would benefit from this is that I use two different ides ("theide", which is nightly build and "ide", which contains some personal tweaks), so that they would use the same output for assemblies that have same hashes, regardless of their name... On the other hand I understand that this is probably not very common setup and that I should probably use consistent naming (for my own good Smile ). So this is just a comment, without any real urge to change your decision Wink

Thank you for this feature,
Honza
Re: Use unique output directory per assembly (append assembly name to output director) [message #31495 is a reply to message #31491] Sun, 06 March 2011 22:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Mindtraveller wrote on Sun, 06 March 2011 15:06

Will it be disabled by default?

Well, it is enabled by default (because I consider that option more safe), but I guess I could be pesuaded otherwise with little effort Smile
Re: Use unique output directory per assembly (append assembly name to output director) [message #31496 is a reply to message #31493] Sun, 06 March 2011 22:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
dolik.rce wrote on Sun, 06 March 2011 16:08

I know you considered using md5 or some other hash as the unique identifier, why did you decide to use name in the end? Actually I would prefer the unique part to be hash of the nests inside given assembly, even though the output directory names would be less readable.

Well, mostly because assembly name is unique.

Sure, nests can change, but they can change "materially" too (like overwriting nest with other branch), so basically you still have to remember that after fiddling with it too much, you have to "bomb" it...

Re: Use unique output directory per assembly (append assembly name to output director) [message #31498 is a reply to message #31496] Sun, 06 March 2011 23:27 Go to previous message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

mirek wrote on Sun, 06 March 2011 22:49

dolik.rce wrote on Sun, 06 March 2011 16:08

I know you considered using md5 or some other hash as the unique identifier, why did you decide to use name in the end? Actually I would prefer the unique part to be hash of the nests inside given assembly, even though the output directory names would be less readable.

Well, mostly because assembly name is unique.

Sure, nests can change, but they can change "materially" too (like overwriting nest with other branch), so basically you still have to remember that after fiddling with it too much, you have to "bomb" it...

As I said, I have two theides, which have clashing assembly names. Right now I use separate output directories to solve that. Renaming the assemblies would be an option too, of course Smile This is corner case, but the other advantages of nest based hashes (like detecting assembly renaming, same assemblies etc.) seemed quite compelling and useful to me.

Also overwriting the sources shouldn't be a problem. Unless you manage to keep older file timestamps Wink

Honza
Previous Topic: U++ 3211 released
Next Topic: Cookie Prize 2011
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 22:49:54 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 2.94552 seconds