Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ TheIDE » U++ TheIDE: Compiling, Linking, Debugging of your packages » [ATTN: dolick.rce] Additioanl directory needed for Ubuntu-natty
[ATTN: dolick.rce] Additioanl directory needed for Ubuntu-natty [message #31911] Wed, 06 April 2011 14:47 Go to next message
Lance is currently offline  Lance
Contributor
Hi Honza:

I recently updated to Ubuntu-natty. The following manual changes to build method are required to arrive at a fully working theide environment:

1. Change compiler name to g++-4.5
2. Add two additional include directories:
    /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/glib-2.0/include
    /usr/include/gdk-pixbuf-2.0

the first one appears to be platform-dependent.

Just in case these are not something that need to be manually set.

Thanks,
Lance
Re: [ATTN: dolick.rce] Additioanl directory needed for Ubuntu-natty [message #31915 is a reply to message #31911] Wed, 06 April 2011 15:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

Hi Lance,

Thanks for report.

I am aware of the new glib include directory and I already changed it. Actually, I knew the next day after it occured, lpbuild acts like automated test build system - everytime something brakes, I have a report in my mailbox next morning Wink The problem is that the build method file is generated only when installing the package (in postinst script). If you update the package, it won't change (in order not to break manual changes user might have done). The same goes for the g++ version as well, it is determined in the very same file.

I am not sure how to solve such thing cleanly (i.e. without requiring user assistance), apart from distributing the GCC.bm as conf file (which has some other problems...).

Best regards,
Honza
Re: [ATTN: dolick.rce] Additioanl directory needed for Ubuntu-natty [message #32335 is a reply to message #31915] Tue, 10 May 2011 03:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nixnixnix is currently offline  nixnixnix
When I start theide under Ubuntu Natty I get the message

"Invalid memory access!"

and theIDE does not start.

I think it is something to do with my packages but as I can't get in I can't fix it. I tried

apt-get purge theide

and then reinstalled but the crash is still there. Are there other config files not removed by purge and if so, where would I find them please?

Nick
Re: [ATTN: dolick.rce] Additioanl directory needed for Ubuntu-natty [message #32336 is a reply to message #32335] Tue, 10 May 2011 07:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

nixnixnix wrote on Tue, 10 May 2011 03:55

When I start theide under Ubuntu Natty I get the message

"Invalid memory access!"

and theIDE does not start.

I think it is something to do with my packages but as I can't get in I can't fix it. I tried

apt-get purge theide

and then reinstalled but the crash is still there. Are there other config files not removed by purge and if so, where would I find them please?

Nick

Hi Nick,
This seems to be a problem in theide binary itself, rather than in configuration. You can try to install some older version of theide (they can be manualy downloaded here). I'll try to check if there is something wrong with the packages...

Anyway, if you need to completely purge the configuration, just delete /home/<user>/.upp directory.

Honza
Re: [ATTN: dolick.rce] Additioanl directory needed for Ubuntu-natty [message #32348 is a reply to message #32336] Tue, 10 May 2011 19:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Honza,

That worked. I had specified /home/nick/out as the output directory in the packages dialog that comes up when UPP starts. I am now just leaving it blank.

EDIT: hmm, it doesn't like me using packages that are in /mnt/hgfs/ gives me the same Invalid memory access and I have to delete .upp again.

Nick

EDIT: there are no build methods and I am not sure how to add them. Ubuntu says that g++ is already installed. Should I go back to Ubuntu 10.10 just now?

[Updated on: Tue, 10 May 2011 19:20]

Report message to a moderator

Re: [ATTN: dolick.rce] Additioanl directory needed for Ubuntu-natty [message #32349 is a reply to message #32348] Tue, 10 May 2011 20:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

nixnixnix wrote on Tue, 10 May 2011 19:10

Thanks EDIT: there are no build methods and I am not sure how to add them. Ubuntu says that g++ is already installed. Should I go back to Ubuntu 10.10 just now?

There should be GCC.bm in /usr/share/upp/, just copy it to the newly created /home/<user>/.upp/theide/ (this should be done during install, probably a bug too...).

Honza
Re: [ATTN: dolick.rce] Additioanl directory needed for Ubuntu-natty [message #32409 is a reply to message #32349] Tue, 17 May 2011 03:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Honza,

No worries. I am perfectly happy using 10.10 for the medium term so I will try again in a few months time.

Cheers,

Nick
Re: [ATTN: dolick.rce] Additioanl directory needed for Ubuntu-natty [message #32474 is a reply to message #32409] Thu, 19 May 2011 18:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nlneilson is currently offline  nlneilson
Contributor
I just updated two notebooks to Ubuntu 11.04.

One is going back to 10.10 until a known issue with driconf is resolved.

I will try installing Upp on the other one to see if this bug regarding Invalid memory access or GCC is resolved.

[Updated on: Thu, 19 May 2011 18:25]

Re: [ATTN: dolick.rce] Additioanl directory needed for Ubuntu-natty [message #32475 is a reply to message #32474] Thu, 19 May 2011 19:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nlneilson is currently offline  nlneilson
Contributor
Installed using:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:dolik-rce/upp-nightly
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install upp

Worked OK.

Thanks Honza for setting up the ppa so Upp can be installed easily.

Neil
Re: [ATTN: dolick.rce] Additioanl directory needed for Ubuntu-natty [message #32477 is a reply to message #32475] Thu, 19 May 2011 19:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

nlneilson wrote on Thu, 19 May 2011 19:08

Installed using:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:dolik-rce/upp-nightly
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install upp

Worked OK.

Thanks Honza for setting up the ppa so Upp can be installed easily.

Neil

My pleasure to hear it is useful to somebody Wink

Honza
Re: [ATTN: dolick.rce] Additioanl directory needed for Ubuntu-natty [message #32896 is a reply to message #31911] Sat, 18 June 2011 17:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
goyo is currently offline  goyo
I get the "Invalid memory access" error using TheIDE from nightly repo in Natty (same using the upp repo). Any pointer to a working version?
Re: [ATTN: dolick.rce] Additioanl directory needed for Ubuntu-natty [message #32897 is a reply to message #32896] Sat, 18 June 2011 19:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

goyo wrote on Sat, 18 June 2011 17:40

I get the "Invalid memory access" error using TheIDE from nightly repo in Natty (same using the upp repo). Any pointer to a working version?

Do you mean that if you compile theide yourself, the problem doesn't appear?

Honza
Re: [ATTN: dolick.rce] Additioanl directory needed for Ubuntu-natty [message #32898 is a reply to message #32897] Sat, 18 June 2011 20:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I mean the binary from the U++ nightly builds PPA. In don't get the status of this issue or if some binary is expected (or confirmed) to work in natty or buildin from source should solve it. nlneilson says upp-nightly works but he doesn't explicitly refer to TheIDE.

Have you got any suggestions? Should building TheIDE from source work?
Re: [ATTN: dolick.rce] Additioanl directory needed for Ubuntu-natty [message #32899 is a reply to message #32898] Sat, 18 June 2011 22:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

Hi goyo,

Ah, ok... Sorry for misunderstanding. As far as I know, the packages in PPA are working as well as from any other source.

Regarding the error, could you describe when it happens, if and how can it be reproduced and some info about your system? It was already reported by few people, but if I remember correctly we were unfortunately never able to even reproduce it nor to fix it. So exact and precise info would be very helpful. Also, please post it as a new thread, as it is not really related to this one...

Honza

PS: Welcome to the forum Wink
Re: [ATTN: dolick.rce] Additioanl directory needed for Ubuntu-natty [message #32904 is a reply to message #32899] Sun, 19 June 2011 03:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks, Honza. I think I was the one misunderstanding what was going on. I posted in a new thread the problem and the solution which worked for me:
http://www.ultimatepp.org/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=329 03&#msg_32903
Re: [ATTN: dolick.rce] Additioanl directory needed for Ubuntu-natty [message #34685 is a reply to message #32904] Tue, 06 December 2011 06:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Honza,

Just swung by for another try and found that what was causing my problem was the fact I was trying to use a mapped drive.

My main code is on my D drive in Windows 7 whereas I run Ubuntu in a VM under Windows 7 and the cleanest thing is to have it access the same copy of my project from the Windows drive but theIDE doesn't like it.

Could it be a simple issue like the size of the buffer for the path to the package directory?

For now am happy to copy the code into the Ubuntu VM but it would be nice to have the option of reaching through to the original copy Smile

Thanks,

Nick
Re: [ATTN: dolick.rce] Additioanl directory needed for Ubuntu-natty [message #34686 is a reply to message #34685] Tue, 06 December 2011 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

nixnixnix wrote on Tue, 06 December 2011 06:21

Hi Honza,

Just swung by for another try and found that what was causing my problem was the fact I was trying to use a mapped drive.

My main code is on my D drive in Windows 7 whereas I run Ubuntu in a VM under Windows 7 and the cleanest thing is to have it access the same copy of my project from the Windows drive but theIDE doesn't like it.

Could it be a simple issue like the size of the buffer for the path to the package directory?

For now am happy to copy the code into the Ubuntu VM but it would be nice to have the option of reaching through to the original copy Smile

Thanks,

Nick

Hi Nick,

The paths to packages are Strings, so it can't overflow that easily Smile

This sounds more like a problem of the VM settings... What virtualization software do you use? And how did you mount the director to it? And have you tried to access the mounted directory with other applications inside the VM? Also, what exactly doesn't theIDE like about it?

Honza
Re: [ATTN: dolick.rce] Additioanl directory needed for Ubuntu-natty [message #34687 is a reply to message #34686] Tue, 06 December 2011 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vmplayer from vmware.

Mapped the drive in the tools. I can browse in Ubuntu to it at
/mnt/hgfs/D

The crash happens when I click on my package as theide starts.

Nick
Re: [ATTN: dolick.rce] Additioanl directory needed for Ubuntu-natty [message #34688 is a reply to message #34687] Tue, 06 December 2011 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

Unfortunately, I'm not very familiar with wmware Sad Perhaps there is some expert among other forum users?

The closest thing I ever did was the same in VirtualBox, but sharing from linux host to different linux guest. It worked quite well...

If you don't find any better solution, you might want to try ugly workaround by mounting the disk in different manner. E.g. using ftpfs or sshfs over network between host and guest.

Honza
Re: [ATTN: dolick.rce] Additioanl directory needed for Ubuntu-natty [message #34697 is a reply to message #34688] Tue, 06 December 2011 19:11 Go to previous message
I can get it working this way in the same setup using a CentOS VM with UPP 2791 which I built myself.

If I can get any more information on this I will check back.

Nick

EDIT: problem seems to be gone in Ubuntu 11.10. I can read from my Windows drive fine. I can't build though due to X11/xlib.h being missing. Do I need to install more stuff? Does 4193 work for you?

[Updated on: Mon, 19 December 2011 20:29]

Previous Topic: TheIDE must understand project-relative paths
Next Topic: A couple of requests to help importing source libraries
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 14:52:52 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00918 seconds