FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Newbie corner » Synaptic Package Manager
Synaptic Package Manager [message #34204] Wed, 02 November 2011 12:40 Go to next message
jthornton is currently offline  jthornton
Is it possible to install on Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid using the Synaptic Package Manager? I'm a little confused about what the PPA is...

Thanks
John
Re: Synaptic Package Manager [message #34206 is a reply to message #34204] Wed, 02 November 2011 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

jthornton wrote on Wed, 02 November 2011 12:40

Is it possible to install on Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid using the Synaptic Package Manager? I'm a little confused about what the PPA is...

Thanks
John

Hi John,

Yes, I believe it is. You just have to add the repository to your software sources. If I remember correctly it can be done in Settings > Repositories > Other sources > Add... and fill in "ppa:dolik-rce/upp" or "ppa:dolik-rce/upp-nightly".

This video explains this for Ubuntu software center, but it is very similar to Synaptic. Actually the Software sources dialogue is the same one, I believe Wink

Best regards,
Honza
Re: Synaptic Package Manager [message #34208 is a reply to message #34206] Wed, 02 November 2011 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Honza,

Thanks using the Ubuntu Software Center worked just fine.

Once installed I assume I just use "g++ file.cpp -o file" to compile like other C++ programs?

John
Re: Synaptic Package Manager [message #34213 is a reply to message #34208] Wed, 02 November 2011 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

jthornton wrote on Wed, 02 November 2011 13:58

Once installed I assume I just use "g++ file.cpp -o file" to compile like other C++ programs?

Well, technically it does work like that... But U++ is very large framework and to get everything working correctly you'd have to call g++ hundreds of times, with correct parameters. The recommended way is to install theide package (also available in the PPA) and use TheIDE for development - it is written for U++ (and in U++ Smile ) and it will take care of everything automatically. Have a look here and here for some introduction about the organization of code and TheIDE usage. Then you can start by looking at the examples shipped with upp or the tutorials linked from Manual page (note: the code for tutorials is also shipped with the upp package, so you can watch it while reading Wink ).

If you still have questions after looking at all this, don't be afraid to ask Wink

Honza

Re: Synaptic Package Manager [message #34226 is a reply to message #34213] Thu, 03 November 2011 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Honza,

Thanks so much for the links and the info. I have some reading to do now Very Happy

John

[Updated on: Thu, 03 November 2011 12:24]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Synaptic Package Manager [message #34227 is a reply to message #34226] Thu, 03 November 2011 13:03 Go to previous message
Ultimate Contributor

jthornton wrote on Thu, 03 November 2011 12:19

Honza,

Thanks so much for the links and the info. I have some reading to do now Very Happy

John

Well, when you finish this reading, there is more Very Happy U++ has rather steep learning curve, but all of us here on the forum are trying hard to help the new users as much as we can. Also there is (often overlooked) tutoring plan available.

Honza
Previous Topic: Linking error with gdk_pixbuf-2.0
Next Topic: U++ and Managed c++ /clr
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 21:31:51 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.82030 seconds