Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » U++ Developers corner » Web framework....
Web framework.... [message #34497] Fri, 25 November 2011 21:37 Go to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
So, the next big thing is web framework.

Here are some thoughts:

- primary inspiration Django
- clean URLs, view=function bind to view, templates have special language
- we will have more rich language for templates (Django templates sometimes too primitive for the task - first hand info from web designers:)

- other interesting frameworks to check: RoR
- for C++ CppCMS, TnTNet (but we will "JIT" compile templates, more practical in team development).

- we will attempt to enrich the thing by designing forms using regular Layout designer - should be quite possible...

- primary external interface - http (and either use 'naked' or with apache with mod_proxy)

- preferred multithreaded apps (single process, many threads to serve connections) - advantage is to store some common cached data; alternative is preforked processes

Please feel free to comment, request, suggest...

...to be continued
Re: Web framework.... [message #34504 is a reply to message #34497] Sat, 26 November 2011 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chickenk is currently offline  chickenk
Experienced Member
comments about things to check :

- for multithread, comm, etc: look at ZeroMQ, and the bindings already done in bazaar
- look at mongrel2 too, it's a webserver not a web framework, but it makes good use of zeromq
- another nice framework: CodeIgniter in PHP

that's all for now...
Re: Web framework.... [message #34506 is a reply to message #34497] Sat, 26 November 2011 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

mirek wrote on Fri, 25 November 2011 21:37

- preferred multithreaded apps (single process, many threads to serve connections) - advantage is to store some common cached data; alternative is preforked processes

May I ask you why you prefer MT over preforked processes? At work we use custom preforked server with shared memory. It proved very stable, since a problem (fatal error, lock-up etc.) in single child doesn't take down entire server. Also it is possible to limit each child to certain number of requests or set it some time of life, after which it is killed. This can be helpful in case of leaking apps (we don't use U++, so leaks happen from time to time Smile ).

Of course I see that MT makes other things simple. So maybe having both options available is the right way to go...

Best regards,
Honza
Re: Web framework.... [message #34508 is a reply to message #34506] Sat, 26 November 2011 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
dolik.rce wrote on Sat, 26 November 2011 06:22

mirek wrote on Fri, 25 November 2011 21:37

May I ask you why you prefer MT over preforked processes? At work we use custom preforked server with shared memory.

I am well aware about prefork advantages and in fact, we do the same.

However, right now I have some doubts about using shared memory for common data.

E.g. it looks like we are going to have 'jit' compiled html templates into 'functional nodes' (as shown in another thread). I am afraid that it might be a bit hard to use shared memory for caching this. Basically, I believe that single heap makes these things much simpler.

Quote:

Of course I see that MT makes other things simple. So maybe having both options available is the right way to go...

Sure, for web app developer, this will not matter too much. It will be possible to switch to MT or to preforked with ease, but with preforked, things will be duplicated in memory.

Mirek
Re: Web framework.... [message #34528 is a reply to message #34497] Sun, 27 November 2011 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lectus is currently offline  lectus
Mirek,

If it's possible would be great if the same U++ code (including layouts) would run on the web with a web interface.

One application I want you to take a look: qBittorrent. It has a normal GUI and in the options you can activate a web GUI you access by pointing your browser to your IP address, this way you can operate the application from distance.

This feature above doesn't imply a full web framework in the same sense as Django, but a way to deliver web interfaces (better if using layout editor).

I hope you like my suggestion.

Thanks
Re: Web framework.... [message #34536 is a reply to message #34497] Mon, 28 November 2011 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
I use Nette framework for PHP, and I'm quite happy about it's template language and overall library interface.
I will surely compare it with the results of U++ development. Smile
Re: Web framework.... [message #34565 is a reply to message #34536] Wed, 30 November 2011 09:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cbpporter is currently offline  cbpporter
Ultimate Contributor
If you seek inspiration from the Java world, I think the best candidate would be JSF (Java Server Faces). It is the only painless Java frameworks that I have encountered. If we could "compile" the views, it could turn to be quite pleasant to use.

RoR is also very pleasant. I have no experience with Django, but it probably shares at least a few principles with RoR.
Re: Web framework.... [message #34748 is a reply to message #34497] Fri, 09 December 2011 16:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here's a good idea:

* HTML 5 GUI designer in the layout editor.
* Use U++ classes to handle the back end.
* Connect both through HTML 5 WebSocket and U++ Sockets.

Basically the framework should make it easy to connect these sockets and this should not be visible to the programmer (wrapped in classes).

So, we can implement MVC for the web:
Model: U++ handling Sqlite, MSSQL, Oracle, MySql,etc
View: HTML5 UI designer on the IDE.
Controller: C++ code using U++ NTL and all classes.

Example of HTML 5 WebSocket:
socket= new WebSocket('ws://www.example.com:8000/somesocket');
socket.onopen= function() {
    socket.send('hello');
};
socket.onmessage= function(s) {
    alert('got reply '+s);
}; 

This way U++ can run on servers while HTML UI front ends will be available for Desktops, Notebooks, Netbooks, Tablets and Smartphones.

[Updated on: Fri, 09 December 2011 16:53]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Web framework.... [message #34749 is a reply to message #34748] Fri, 09 December 2011 17:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
lectus wrote on Fri, 09 December 2011 10:49

Here's a good idea:

* HTML 5 GUI designer in the layout editor.
* Use U++ classes to handle the back end.
* Connect both through HTML 5 WebSocket and U++ Sockets.

Basically the framework should make it easy to connect these sockets and this should not be visible to the programmer (wrapped in classes).

So, we can implement MVC for the web:
Model: U++ handling Sqlite, MSSQL, Oracle, MySql,etc
View: HTML5 UI designer on the IDE.
Controller: C++ code using U++ NTL and all classes.

Example of HTML 5 WebSocket:
socket= new WebSocket('ws://www.example.com:8000/somesocket');
socket.onopen= function() {
    socket.send('hello');
};
socket.onmessage= function(s) {
    alert('got reply '+s);
}; 

This way U++ can run on servers while HTML UI front ends will be available for Desktops, Notebooks, Netbooks, Tablets and Smartphones.

Like Wt?

Well, that is planned like one possible high-level paradigm. However, the core functionality will be much more down to the earth.

Re: Web framework.... [message #34790 is a reply to message #34497] Mon, 12 December 2011 15:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's nice.

So what are the plans of this web framework? Are there already a roadmap?
Re: Web framework.... [message #34799 is a reply to message #34790] Mon, 12 December 2011 20:00 Go to previous message
Ultimate Member
lectus wrote on Mon, 12 December 2011 09:05

That's nice.

So what are the plans of this web framework? Are there already a roadmap?

It is already in development. Current phase is 'experiment', should be ended by the end of year.

You can watch the progress in svn sandbox.
Previous Topic: Development ToDo finalized
Next Topic: U++ needs sockets examples and documentation
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 00:20:41 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01505 seconds