Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » What Operating System do U++ users work with?
What Operating System do U++ users work with? [message #34593] Thu, 01 December 2011 14:22 Go to next message
lectus is currently offline  lectus

What is your OS for development?[ 47 votes ]
1. MS Windows 25 / 53%
2. Mac OS X 0 / 0%
3. Slackware Linux 0 / 0%
4. Arch Linux 2 / 4%
5. Debian Linux 3 / 6%
6. Ubuntu Linux 7 / 15%
7. Kubuntu Linux 2 / 4%
8. Xubuntu Linux 1 / 2%
9. Fedora Linux 1 / 2%
10. OpenSUSE Linux 0 / 0%
11. Mandriva Linux 0 / 0%
12. Other Linux distribution (write the name on your post) 5 / 11%
13. FreeBSD 1 / 2%
14. NetBSD 0 / 0%
15. OpenBSD 0 / 0%

Just a little poll here.
Vote on what OS you prefer to use as your development environment with U++.

[Updated on: Thu, 01 December 2011 14:23]

Report message to a moderator

Re: What Operating System do U++ users work with? [message #34598 is a reply to message #34593] Thu, 01 December 2011 15:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

This might be actually quite useful poll. I hope it will tell us important thinks like for which distributions should we package, write docs etc.

So: Everyone please vote, so we have a representative statistics Very Happy

For me, I'm an Arch Linux fan, but I also develop on Debian (at work, unfortunately not U++ Confused ).

Honza
Re: What Operating System do U++ users work with? [message #34599 is a reply to message #34593] Thu, 01 December 2011 15:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tom1
Senior Contributor
Hi,

I had to answer 'Windows', although I wish it could be otherwise. However, part of getting any change on that answer is to have a well working U++ port on each platform. So, U++ is in fact my survival plan in the changing world of APIs and platforms. I constantly compile and test my software products on Kubuntu Linux too, just to make sure I have written portable U++ apps.

Best regards,

Tom
Re: What Operating System do U++ users work with? [message #34601 is a reply to message #34593] Thu, 01 December 2011 16:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FYI,
I got Slitaz ( http://www.slitaz.org/ ), a 30mb Linux distribution that runs from pendrives, CDs and HDs with minimal RAM usage to run TheIde. Razz

I haven't build any upp application in it because it still requires to set up the paths in TheIde.
But it runs and could be a viable portable U++.

Here's how I done:
1) Downloaded the latest Slitaz ISO.
2) Ran it in VirtualBox.
3) Downloaded TheIDe and Upp .deb packages.
4) Used Slitaz's package manager to convert the debian packages to its own format: # tazpkg convert <packagename>.deb
5) Installed the packages: tazpkg install <packagename>.tazpkg

At this point one could remaster Slitaz and build a new ISO with U++ in it following Slitaz manual. Then one could write this ISO to pendrives or CDs and work with U++ everywhere.

Enjoy!

[Updated on: Thu, 01 December 2011 16:39]

Re: What Operating System do U++ users work with? [message #34602 is a reply to message #34593] Thu, 01 December 2011 17:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chickenk is currently offline  chickenk
Experienced Member
It might be worth mentioning Gentoo Linux and its derivatives as an entry for the poll, since it is often used by developers and you might find several votes for it.

I use Funtoo Linux, a Gentoo derivative for my investigations on U++ at home.

At work I also use Fedora, and I'm thinking about pushing U++ for embedded development, I'll let you know how it goes.

Lionel
Re: What Operating System do U++ users work with? [message #34607 is a reply to message #34602] Thu, 01 December 2011 19:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
I am mainly using Windows 7, simply because the result of my work is win32 executable, but I have debian installed in wmware and often I do work in it on the same codebase, as our backend is running linux...
Re: What Operating System do U++ users work with? [message #34609 is a reply to message #34593] Thu, 01 December 2011 22:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm currently on Xubuntu.

I'd like to see U++ support at least:
+ MS Windows (.EXE setup already does an excellent job) - Most customers use it

+ Mac OS X - Again, some customers think different Laughing

+ Debian - The Universal OS Smile

+ *buntu - Pretty much the Linux standard in Desktops and Workstations nowadays

+ RPM distros (Mandriva / OpenSUSE / Fedora) - Those guys can't handle *.deb

+ Slackware .tar.gz packages - Same as above

+ Gentoo - Developers use it as someone said

+ Arch Linux - I like it too. It seems U++ already works through PKGBUILDs Very Happy

I think those are the main distros. Distros derived from them already support the same packages.

Of course targeting (cross-compiling to) Android / iOS / other mobile OSes is welcome.

[Updated on: Thu, 01 December 2011 22:28]

Re: What Operating System do U++ users work with? [message #34610 is a reply to message #34609] Thu, 01 December 2011 23:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
281264 is currently offline  281264
Experienced Member
I go with Windows 7.

Best wishes,

Javier
Re: What Operating System do U++ users work with? [message #34634 is a reply to message #34610] Fri, 02 December 2011 17:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
deep is currently offline  deep
Experienced Member
I use it with Fedora, Ubuntu, Win XP, Win 7.

will use majorly on Ubuntu.

Warm Regards

Deepak
Re: What Operating System do U++ users work with? [message #34640 is a reply to message #34634] Fri, 02 December 2011 21:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BioBytes is currently offline  BioBytes
Hi alls,

I vote MS Windows and also Kubuntu (Maverick Meerkat).

Cheers
Biobytes
Re: What Operating System do U++ users work with? [message #34658 is a reply to message #34640] Sun, 04 December 2011 04:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lance is currently offline  Lance
Contributor
I do most coding on MS windows because the debugger works far better with Windows+MSC then Linux+GCC. Otherwise I would prefer using Ubuntu.
Re: What Operating System do U++ users work with? [message #34663 is a reply to message #34658] Sun, 04 December 2011 15:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Didier is currently offline  Didier
Contributor
I develop my apps on Fedora Linux and when needed, compile the end user Windows apps with wine (I never leave linux Smile )

For debugging, I use ddd since I never managed to have correct debugging with Theide (but I haven't tried since a long time)

[Updated on: Sun, 04 December 2011 15:19]

Re: What Operating System do U++ users work with? [message #34668 is a reply to message #34663] Sun, 04 December 2011 19:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Didier wrote on Sun, 04 December 2011 09:18

I develop my apps on Fedora Linux and when needed, compile the end user Windows apps with wine (I never leave linux Smile )

For debugging, I use ddd since I never managed to have correct debugging with Theide (but I haven't tried since a long time)

Interesting. I've been wanting to try Fedora 16, but didn't find any suitable U++ rpm packages. How did you install it?

Also, how do you build it under wine? You just download U++ for Windows and Mingw and it works in wine?

If I get wine to work this well I might dump Windows completely. Very Happy
Re: What Operating System do U++ users work with? [message #34669 is a reply to message #34668] Sun, 04 December 2011 21:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

lectus wrote on Sun, 04 December 2011 19:38

Interesting. I've been wanting to try Fedora 16, but didn't find any suitable U++ rpm packages. How did you install it?
There is a spec file in svn... I guess that with some minimal tweaking you could use it to build rpm package on your fedora. Or you can always compile it from source code, the old way Smile (Ask in separate thread, if you are feeling adventurous Wink )

Also, how do you build it under wine? You just download U++ for Windows and Mingw and it works in wine?

Yes, it works just like that Smile I use it this way in Arch Linux too. Also, with a bit of research and tweaking, it should be possible to use mingw to cross-compile directly from the linux version of theide... but most people use the first method, it is just easier Smile

Honza
Re: What Operating System do U++ users work with? [message #34670 is a reply to message #34669] Sun, 04 December 2011 21:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Overall, I am pleasantly surprised that Win is only 56%... Smile

Mirek
Re: What Operating System do U++ users work with? [message #34700 is a reply to message #34668] Tue, 06 December 2011 19:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Didier is currently offline  Didier
Contributor

Didier wrote on Sun, 04 December 2011 09:18

I compile in wine using MSV5 express edition : search for 'winetricks' in the forum, all is trivial to install (easier than on win)
Re: What Operating System do U++ users work with? [message #35451 is a reply to message #34593] Fri, 17 February 2012 22:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
arkady_c is currently offline  arkady_c
Promising Member
Win XP , Win 7 MinGW
Debian Lenny / Squeeze My u++.deb
Ubuntu Dolic.re sources.list

And what does not work Smile? android - this is not possible?...

2a7aff6be3f76940495be32258777636
Re: What Operating System do U++ users work with? [message #35482 is a reply to message #34593] Wed, 22 February 2012 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jibe is currently offline  jibe
Experienced Member
Hi,

I'm using Linux Mint. Nice distrib Wink

Mainly the main (gnome) edition, but I have also the XFCE and LMDE editions on others computers...

I never use Windows, unless I have something that I cannot test under wine.

For U++, I use dolric-rce/upp-nightly/ubuntu in my sources.list.

[Updated on: Wed, 22 February 2012 09:47]

Re: What Operating System do U++ users work with? [message #36673 is a reply to message #35482] Sun, 24 June 2012 17:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No Message Body

[Updated on: Sun, 24 June 2012 18:43]

Re: What Operating System do U++ users work with? [message #36743 is a reply to message #34593] Sat, 30 June 2012 15:48 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
o_wild is currently offline  o_wild
Promising Member
Mainly MS Windows, but also Fedora some times. Because I think of Fedora as a promising OS.

Previous Topic: CLANG 3.4
Next Topic: How's it going?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 14:59:22 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02228 seconds