Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Newbie corner » TheIDE refactoring and multiple packages build support?
TheIDE refactoring and multiple packages build support? [message #34893] Fri, 16 December 2011 11:15 Go to next message
eMko is currently offline  eMko
Hello,

I am going to make some small tool application (up to 5 "dialogs", small XML processing) and Ultimate++ seems to be good framework to use - applications tends to have low memory and harddisk footprint, which is very good. (I consider situation "Yes, I made a great small tool, the only thing you need to do prior to using it is installing a .Net Framework 4.0. It takes only 2GB on your disk." a bit weird... (ideal Czech word is "zhulenư" .. I assume I am not the only Czech here, am I? Smile ) )

When I was "playing" with TheIDE, I found a lot of good things and it is more than OK for small projects. But as I can see on your web, you (or someone else?) did quite a huge applications using this (mainly IDIS). Hm...

- what about a refactoring support in TheIDE? I have found nothing. I don't mention moving classes through namespaces or from one library to another, but what about simple function or variable name changes? I do it almost every day in my work... (Java and C#)

- if I divide an application into multiple packages (which is often done when you are making some software of significant size), is there any way to tell the IDE that I want to make package1 as a dll and copy it to output dir and then a package2 as exe and copy it to output? This is very usual scenario.

Thank you for replying
Re: TheIDE refactoring and multiple packages build support? [message #34903 is a reply to message #34893] Fri, 16 December 2011 14:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

Hi eMKo,

Welcome to the forum Cool

eMko wrote on Fri, 16 December 2011 11:15

- what about a refactoring support in TheIDE? I have found nothing. I don't mention moving classes through namespaces or from one library to another, but what about simple function or variable name changes? I do it almost every day in my work... (Java and C#)

I guess I never worked with an IDE that would have such functions. Or I never needed them Smile I do all of the tasks you named using "Replace in files" dialog... I never needed anything else Smile If you could point me to some example of software which uses this, I might tell you more. Even video tutorial showing the function would be great. Also, some time ago someone wrote a CodeMetric tool (it is somewhere in the svn) which analyses the code complexity... That is probably the only refactoring support we have Smile

eMko wrote on Fri, 16 December 2011 11:15

- if I divide an application into multiple packages (which is often done when you are making some software of significant size), is there any way to tell the IDE that I want to make package1 as a dll and copy it to output dir and then a package2 as exe and copy it to output? This is very usual scenario.

Yes, there is a concept of custom build steps. These can be executed for each file with given extension or in pre-linking or post-linking stage. Such custom step executes given external command, so you can create e.g. synchronization script and call it after linking. As copy is very common task, there is even specialized instruction for that Smile

Best regards,
Honza

PS: (regarding the Czech) Jo, par se nas tady najde Wink
Re: TheIDE refactoring and multiple packages build support? [message #34905 is a reply to message #34893] Fri, 16 December 2011 15:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you for reply Smile .

The most famous IDEs for Java world have good refactoring support and Microsoft Visual Studio has plenty options too.

For pretty overview of refactoring options you can look at http://www.jetbrains.com/resharper/features/code_refactoring .html . ReSharper is a very commonly used plugin for Microsoft VisualStudio which tries to make it a "little IntelliJ IDEA" (one of the best IDE ever, but for Java).

Some Eclipse stuff: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/os-ecref/
Or new VisualStudio (without ReSharper): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3BDe6l9y7c

The "most basic" and most used refactoring option is method/property rename. This can be easily done with "Replace in files", but it takes some time and thinking if this one should or shouldn't be renamed too. Not an issue if you have a thousand lines of code but nightmare if you have thousand source files (which is quite common in Java world :-/).

Maybe you don't really need this even in larger C++ program - I don't know. I never did something useful in C++ - the last time I used this language was at university and only when I didn't have any other option.
Re: TheIDE refactoring and multiple packages build support? [message #34907 is a reply to message #34905] Fri, 16 December 2011 16:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

Well, I see the point of the refactoring helpers now. Thanks for enlighting me Smile

Sadly, I have to admit TheIDE doesn't have that. Maybe an idea for future development. But as you noticed, some pretty large projects have been done with it but nobody really asked for such functionality. Maybe it is because with the fast rebuilds (thanks to blitz) it is really easy to change one thing in definition, hit F5 to rebuild and then just go through the errors (F4) which will exactly show you all the places where the appropriate changes must be done as well. It sound like middle-age technology compared to the stuff in your links, but I guess it is what we all use and we are happy about it Smile

Honza
Re: TheIDE refactoring and multiple packages build support? [message #34908 is a reply to message #34907] Fri, 16 December 2011 17:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
unodgs is currently offline  unodgs
Ultimate Contributor

dolik.rce wrote on Fri, 16 December 2011 10:00

Well,
Sadly, I have to admit TheIDE doesn't have that.
Honza

I'm still trying to embrace clang. With it any kind of refactoring seems to be possible. I use Find and Replace a lot, but it's for sure very troublesome comparing to reach refactoring tools in Intelli J Idea for instance.
Re: TheIDE refactoring and multiple packages build support? [message #34909 is a reply to message #34907] Fri, 16 December 2011 17:57 Go to previous message
dolik.rce wrote on Fri, 16 December 2011 16:00

Well, It sound like middle-age technology

Everything else looks like a middle age technology if you look to some Smalltalk environments (e.g. VisualWorks from Cincom) Smile .

Having refactoring support in TheIDE would be nice, but creating this feature would take a huge amount of time. I just asked Smile .

I don't thing that lack of this is a major trouble if you don't change your code a lot. I know a lot of people (ehm, most of my colleagues) who are writing university information systems in Perl. They are using GVim. It does't even have a decent code-completion (if any).

Thank you for replies
Previous Topic: DLI Problem...
Next Topic: CanClose? Mechanism to prompt user to save edits
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 14:58:50 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01695 seconds