FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Newbie corner » U++ App for linux
U++ App for linux [message #35046] Wed, 04 January 2012 11:49 Go to next message
Wolfgang is currently offline  Wolfgang
Experienced Member
Hi,

just a little question. I'm using Win7 (32bit) to run U++ but want to create a small app for my linux system. Can I create it on my windows machine and if yes, how (compile, test... etc.)?

Thanks!

best regards,
Wolfgang

By the way, happy new year!
Re: U++ App for linux [message #35047 is a reply to message #35046] Wed, 04 January 2012 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BioBytes is currently offline  BioBytes
Hi Wolfgang,

You can use the same source code (beware of some OS specificity that are solved by using #ifdef #endif instructions). Then compile the source code under your Linux system. This means that You have to install U++ under Linux by apt-get or something like that depending on your system.

Regards

Biobytes
Re: U++ App for linux [message #35048 is a reply to message #35046] Wed, 04 January 2012 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

Hi Wolfgang,

The easiest way is to use virtualization Smile With some simple, free virtualization tool (e.g. VirtualBox), you can maintain a number of linux distros that you want to support.

Another option might be using cygwin. If I remember correctly there used to be gcc package that compiled linux binaries. Google will sure give you some more info Wink

I'd definitely recommend you the first way.

Best regards,
Honza
Re: U++ App for linux [message #35049 is a reply to message #35046] Wed, 04 January 2012 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
Hello Wolfgang

In addition to BioBytes post, I usually work in XP compiling with MSC and MinGW.

If code compiles well in MinGW it is almost sure that it will work well in Linux.

Only in very few cases and working at low level it is necessary to do #ifdefs. Fortunately U++ cares of it so it is very strange if you need to include #ifdefs in your code. In that case, ask before...: probably there is a function in U++ you did not know that cares of that OS specific issue Smile.

Best regards
IƱaki
Re: U++ App for linux [message #35050 is a reply to message #35046] Wed, 04 January 2012 17:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
thank you, then I'll choose the virtual box cause i've already installed one on my local system (to do the server stuff)...

If I understand it the right way I just have to use apt to install ultimate++ and then compile it in my commandoline (on the linux machine I don't have an X)?
Re: U++ App for linux [message #35054 is a reply to message #35050] Wed, 04 January 2012 21:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

Wolfgang wrote on Wed, 04 January 2012 17:38

thank you, then I'll choose the virtual box cause i've already installed one on my local system (to do the server stuff)...

If I understand it the right way I just have to use apt to install ultimate++ and then compile it in my commandoline (on the linux machine I don't have an X)?

If you have headless server, you probably don't want to install the packages, as they would pull X and a ton of other dependencies into your system Smile I think I should make a separate package for umk, with minimal dependencies. Then you could use that together with sources from svn. I'll look into it, give me couple days Wink

Honza
Re: U++ App for linux [message #35056 is a reply to message #35046] Thu, 05 January 2012 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
ahhh okay.
Yes it is headless and you're right, I don't want x and a ton of other dependencies on my server - thank you for information.
I can wait, no problem!

Wolfgang
Re: U++ App for linux [message #35057 is a reply to message #35046] Thu, 05 January 2012 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
I would create another machine in virtual box and install there full distro of choice (probably Ubuntu is worth to support in case you don't have specific needs), then install there all the dev tools and upp.
Re: U++ App for linux [message #35059 is a reply to message #35046] Thu, 05 January 2012 16:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
hmm tried to add u++ to my sources:

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:dolic-rce/upp

but i get an error:
Error reading https://launchpad.net/api/1.0/~dolic-rce/+archive/upp: HTTP Error 404: Not Found

Re: U++ App for linux [message #35060 is a reply to message #35059] Thu, 05 January 2012 17:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

Wolfgang wrote on Thu, 05 January 2012 16:20

hmm tried to add u++ to my sources:

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:dolic-rce/upp

but i get an error:
Error reading https://launchpad.net/api/1.0/~dolic-rce/+archive/upp: HTTP Error 404: Not Found

You just have a typo in the PPA name Wink It is dolik-rce/upp, with k Wink

Honza
Re: U++ App for linux [message #35061 is a reply to message #35046] Thu, 05 January 2012 18:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
oh my god, tried it about 5 times but hadn't seen it. THANK YOU
Re: U++ App for linux [message #35062 is a reply to message #35046] Fri, 06 January 2012 07:20 Go to previous message
Ultimate Contributor

Hi Wolfgang,
I've created package 'umk'. It is currently in nightly builds PPA only, later when it is tested properly, I'll move it to stable as well.

If you combine it with SVN checkout of U++ sources you should have all you need for building without X. Note that this setup is best for building command line applications. If you want to build GUI apps, you'll need to install some libraries, the usual bunch is: libatk, libcairo2, libexpat1, libfontconfig1, libfreetype6, libgdk-pixbuf, libglib libgtk, libnotify1, libnotify1-gtk, libpango, libpng, libx11, libxcursor, libxext6, libxfixes3, libxft, libxi, libxinerama, libxrandr and libxrender. It will probably pull in at least half of the packages that X would require, but you'd still have the advantage of not having to run X server.

Honza

PS: It would be great if you (or anyone else Wink ) could try the umk package and report possible problems. I could not test it much, as I don't have any ubuntu machine anymore Rolling Eyes

[Updated on: Fri, 06 January 2012 07:22]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Window with no border?
Next Topic: Accessing controls in layout within ArrayCtrl
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 14:01:35 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01123 seconds