Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ TheIDE » U++ TheIDE: Other Features Wishlist and/or Bugs » Various configuration serialization problems
Various configuration serialization problems [message #35327] Fri, 03 February 2012 07:31 Go to next message
frankdeprins is currently offline  frankdeprins
Hey,

Since a few days I experience some problems with the IDE. I update and build it at a regular basis and, currently, I am at 4518. The problems I experience are:
- State is no longer saved: the main window always opens maximized (and I do not like maximized apps Smile )
- Last active package is not remembered; the selection list always opens with the first main package of the first nest (bazaar in my case) selected.
- Configuration is sometimes not read/corrupt(?); resulting in the IDE starting without all my previous environment settings: window sizes, fonts,... Syntax coloring is OK, though. But, then again, this is not saved in the .cfg file, of course. This is the 'oldest' problem and started about two weeks ago. I cannot say which revision exactly, though.

PS: I use Windows Vista.

Best regards,

frank

[Updated on: Fri, 03 February 2012 07:35]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Various configuration serialization problems [message #35329 is a reply to message #35327] Fri, 03 February 2012 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
Did happen to me too with the config, WinXP a week ago. Did lost the IDE editor config like 2-3 times, then it stabilized somehow again, since then no more problems. Weird...
Re: Various configuration serialization problems [message #35330 is a reply to message #35329] Fri, 03 February 2012 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It is indeed a very randomly apearing issue.
Re: Various configuration serialization problems [message #35336 is a reply to message #35330] Fri, 03 February 2012 13:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
frankdeprins wrote on Fri, 03 February 2012 03:15

It is indeed a very randomly apearing issue.

Sorry, I was fixing some issue and it generated more issues... Should be fine now (or getting better).
Re: Various configuration serialization problems [message #35337 is a reply to message #35327] Fri, 03 February 2012 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'll give it a try tonight, thanks.
Re: Various configuration serialization problems [message #35338 is a reply to message #35337] Fri, 03 February 2012 14:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I could not wait till tonight Smile

The last package selection is OK but the state at startup is still always maximized, even when the last time it was closed normalized with a specific size.
As for not being able to reload the configuration, time will tell.

Thanks again,

frank
Re: Various configuration serialization problems [message #35522 is a reply to message #35329] Fri, 24 February 2012 18:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Since updating to 4596, I did not experience any problems anymore for a while.
But yesterday, and today, I lost my configuration settings again.
There must be some triggering event, but I have no clue what it may be.
What I did find, though, is that a source file with a define that is not properly closed (when you forget to add an #endif) has the potential to crash the IDE with an 'Out of memory' exception.
I also observed this same problem with a namespace that was not properly closed.

Best regards

frank
Re: Various configuration serialization problems [message #35551 is a reply to message #35327] Wed, 29 February 2012 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
frankdeprins wrote on Fri, 03 February 2012 01:31

Hey,

Since a few days I experience some problems with the IDE. I update and build it at a regular basis and, currently, I am at 4518. The problems I experience are:

First I have thought the cause is related to multiple ide instances running, unfortunately after fixing that, I have found that it is indeed something much more sinister.

I am trying to catch the bug for a couple of days now. I have detected that the problem is in saving .cfg - part of it seems to be overwritten/damaged in very strange way. So far, I do not know why, added more debugging code and waiting for another sample... (it really happens only rarely).

Now, to narrow it down: Could you remember when this behaviour started? Or more specifially, what might have been the "last known good" revision? (I know this will be a little bit hard to answer, but I had to try, right? Smile

More important: Did you compile theide with SVO_VALUE flag?

Mirek
Re: Various configuration serialization problems [message #35552 is a reply to message #35551] Wed, 29 February 2012 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello Mirek,

It started after I updated to 4518; alas I cannot remember anymore the last revision I used before that but, as I do update quite frequently, I guess it cannot have been more than 20-30 revisions earlier.
I never use multiple instances simultaneously. Also the situations in which this problem manifested itself were quite normal; not after crashes or so.
I compile the IDE using the command line:
"umk uppsrc ide MSC10 -arsv GUI,MT,HEAPDBG,CHECKINIT,TESTINSTALL newide.exe | mtee newide.log", so I do not use this SVO_VALUE flag. At least not explicitly (maybe it is implied by some of the others?).
Yesterday, I updated to r4631 and I will certainly keep an eye on it.
If I can be of more assistance or perform some tests, please let me know.

Best regards,

frank

[Updated on: Wed, 29 February 2012 08:29]

Re: Various configuration serialization problems [message #35553 is a reply to message #35327] Wed, 29 February 2012 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor
I can't recall when it started, but I'm pretty sure it was way before SVO_VALUE and I don't use it anyway.
Re: Various configuration serialization problems [message #35554 is a reply to message #35552] Wed, 29 February 2012 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
frankdeprins wrote on Wed, 29 February 2012 02:28

Yesterday, I updated to r4631 and I will certainly keep an eye on it.
If I can be of more assistance or perform some tests, please let me know.

You might consider putting file q.ini with

DebugClipboard=1

content to ide directory (or config dir in linux).

This is originally intended to catch another long existing issue, sometimes it looks like Copy does not put data to clipboard, and it will look for this too. With cfg, it would show exclamation message box when loading of config crashes. If that happens, please post theide.cfg to my email, PM or perhaps here.

mr_ped, do you run theide in Win or Linux?

Mirek
Re: Various configuration serialization problems [message #35555 is a reply to message #35554] Wed, 29 February 2012 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK
Re: Various configuration serialization problems [message #35556 is a reply to message #35327] Wed, 29 February 2012 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor
WinXP daily. (Linux sometimes, no problem there in last half of year, but I don't use it that often there)
Re: Various configuration serialization problems [message #35588 is a reply to message #35551] Fri, 02 March 2012 07:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello Mirek,

For what it is still worth: the revision I used before 4518 was 4500 and, before that, 4458. I found a backup with the old logs and that's how I know.
As I already mentioned, 4518 was the first to expose this problem. However this is not a 100% certainty that it was not already present in older revisions, of course. Sometimes there was a week between these configuration losses and then, it happened many times on one day. And I cannot think of anything I did differently on those days.

Best regards,

frank
Re: Various configuration serialization problems [message #35627 is a reply to message #35588] Wed, 07 March 2012 21:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
I think at least one of reasons of cfg loading problems is now fixed... (after fix I got through 2 stored "bad" cfgs).

[Updated on: Wed, 07 March 2012 21:52]

Re: Various configuration serialization problems [message #35782 is a reply to message #35627] Wed, 21 March 2012 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello Mirek,

The configuration issue seems to be out of the way indeed.

However, since I upgraded to revision 4668 (I am now at 4690) I encountered frequent crashes of theIDE.
In the meantime, I have discovered that the code assistant is what triggers it. It always happens when I type an open bracket for a function call.
So now I have the 'Auto Assist' switched off and it does not happen anymore.
Just a thought: could this be because I currently use more 'external' libraries (libraries not in Ultimate packages, but with separate header and .lib files that I link with my applications)?

Best regards,

frank
Re: Various configuration serialization problems [message #35867 is a reply to message #35782] Thu, 29 March 2012 15:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
frankdeprins wrote on Wed, 21 March 2012 03:58

Hello Mirek,

The configuration issue seems to be out of the way indeed.

However, since I upgraded to revision 4668 (I am now at 4690) I encountered frequent crashes of theIDE.
In the meantime, I have discovered that the code assistant is what triggers it. It always happens when I type an open bracket for a function call.
So now I have the 'Auto Assist' switched off and it does not happen anymore.

Strange, does not seem a problem for me...

Quote:

Just a thought: could this be because I currently use more 'external' libraries (libraries not in Ultimate packages, but with separate header and .lib files that I link with my applications)?

Unlikely.

Mirek
Re: Various configuration serialization problems [message #35994 is a reply to message #35867] Tue, 17 April 2012 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello Mirek,

In the meantime I have 'collected' some .crash and .buglog files in my upp directory. I attached them, maybe they are of any use to you.

Best regards,

frank
  • Attachment: upp.7z
    (Size: 18.85KB, Downloaded 261 times)
Re: Various configuration serialization problems [message #37629 is a reply to message #35994] Mon, 29 October 2012 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello Mirek,

I finally found out about the crashes I experience, now and then, in the IDE.
And I must say I was on a completely incorrect track with assuming that the assistant might be the cause.
What really causes it (and I can reproduce this as much as I want), is the '°' (like in degrees celcius) character. This character happens to be in the 'uppercase position' of the ')' key on my (french) keyboard. So, anytime I tried to type a closing bracket and (accidentally) helt down the shift key, I got this crash.
Could someone check if typing the '°' character in the IDE editor has the same effect for him, please?

Best regards,

frank
Re: Various configuration serialization problems [message #37631 is a reply to message #37629] Mon, 29 October 2012 21:09 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Didier is currently offline  Didier
Contributor
Bonjour Franck Wink

I tried it on my IDE and I have not such crash.
My IDE is compiled regularly with latest Upp updates)
Previous Topic: Issue with synchronized translation file (GNU/Linux - Kubuntu 12.10)
Next Topic: Feature request for TheIDE (easy but useful)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 17:39:02 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01166 seconds