Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ TheIDE » U++ TheIDE: Other Features Wishlist and/or Bugs » Add "pre-compile" as custom build step
Add "pre-compile" as custom build step [message #35408] Fri, 10 February 2012 17:04 Go to next message
Mindtraveller is currently offline  Mindtraveller
Experienced Contributor

After making versioning utility, it appeared that TheIDE has no way to "auto-process" my sources before they compiled.
The only thing available is "pre-link", but editing sources after they where changed leads to compilation error.

So I propose adding "pre-compile" custom build step for sources auto-update features.
Re: Add "pre-compile" as custom build step [message #35418 is a reply to message #35408] Sat, 11 February 2012 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

Mindtraveller wrote on Fri, 10 February 2012 17:04

After making versioning utility, it appeared that TheIDE has no way to "auto-process" my sources before they compiled.
The only thing available is "pre-link", but editing sources after they where changed leads to compilation error.

So I propose adding "pre-compile" custom build step for sources auto-update features.

Hi Mindtraveler,

I haven't examined the versioning utility too much, but I believe that all you need is to specify "Output file(s)" that are being changed (the .rc and perhaps some "version.h"?) and set extension column to ".config" in the build step. Then whenever config is changed, the custom step will be run before the listed files are compiled. Or am I missing something here?

Best regards,
Honza
Re: Add "pre-compile" as custom build step [message #43450 is a reply to message #35408] Sun, 03 August 2014 16:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alboni is currently offline  Alboni
Experienced Member
I solved it differently. I use fixed version strings in the program and then launch a program on post-link to search and replace those strings in the executable.

I totally agree that a pre-build option would be very handy to generate some versioning include files etc.

[Updated on: Sun, 03 August 2014 16:24]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Add "pre-compile" as custom build step [message #43451 is a reply to message #35408] Sun, 03 August 2014 16:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alboni is currently offline  Alboni
Experienced Member
Would also great if upp would have macros for svn revision and buildnummer.
Like there is already #defines for buildtime/date
Re: Add "pre-compile" as custom build step [message #44486 is a reply to message #43450] Mon, 16 March 2015 17:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sergeynikitin is currently offline  sergeynikitin
Contributor

Quote:
I solved it differently. I use fixed version strings in the program and then launch a program on post-link to search and replace those strings in the executable.

I totally agree that a pre-build option would be very handy to generate some versioning include files etc.

This is very optimal receipt. Because, if I use analog of pre-compile dependence I must wait for recompiling, even if there are not changes in sources.

As a result, it is more important to make not the option precompile, and some command-line editor of resources.

SergeyNikitin<U++>( linux, wine )
{
    under( Ubuntu || Debian || Raspbian );
}

[Updated on: Mon, 16 March 2015 17:24]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Add "pre-compile" as custom build step [message #44522 is a reply to message #35408] Sat, 21 March 2015 23:00 Go to previous message
Slade is currently offline  Slade
Promising Member
I also made a versioning utility and found the exact same problem with the IDE.
What I need is a "pre-build" extension that will always run the custom build step every time before checking compile dependency. This way my versioning utility can run and if the version number has changed it will update a package file specifically a version string that, and that file will then get compiled as it has changed.

I also agree it would be very useful if U++ has macros for SVN revision and buildnummer, like there is already #defines for buildtime/date.
Previous Topic: Tiny patch for mscbuilder
Next Topic: Log showing in HEX mode.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 15:03:45 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03233 seconds