Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ TheIDE » U++ TheIDE: Other Features Wishlist and/or Bugs » Debugger feature request
Debugger feature request [message #35462] Mon, 20 February 2012 10:29 Go to next message
unodgs is currently offline  unodgs
Ultimate Contributor

Would be possible to add the option "don't step into Core"? I mean very often during debugging I'm taken to the body of for example Vector::GetCount() or Rect class' constructor. That takes time and from my application point of view is only time wasting.
In IntelliJ idea if someone really wants to debug standard library he presses another debugger shortcut (it could be shift-f11 for instance in theide)

[Updated on: Mon, 20 February 2012 10:31]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Debugger feature request [message #35463 is a reply to message #35462] Mon, 20 February 2012 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cbpporter is currently offline  cbpporter
Ultimate Contributor
unodgs wrote on Mon, 20 February 2012 11:29

Would be possible to add the option "don't step into Core"? I mean very often during debugging I'm taken to the body of for example Vector::GetCount() or Rect class' constructor. That takes time and from my application point of view is only time wasting.
In IntelliJ idea if someone really wants to debug standard library he presses another debugger shortcut (it could be shift-f11 for instance in theide)

I second that! In fact I suggested that a long time ago. I think my simple solution was to automatically step over things in the Upp namespace, but I'm not sure this can be done easily.

An another think I would greatly appreciate: currently you can't have two variables with the same name in different block. The debugger gets confused by this. This is really annoying because every for loop variable needs a different name.

And debugging inspecting global variables and static class members would be great too.

I sincerely love U++ and use it to great results on a day by day basis, but TheIDE is clearly the weakest link. Never mind that it somehow gets confused and start misinterpreting key presses at least once every two days.
Re: Debugger feature request [message #35464 is a reply to message #35463] Mon, 20 February 2012 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

cbpporter wrote on Mon, 20 February 2012 06:04

An another think I would greatly appreciate: currently you can't have two variables with the same name in different block. The debugger gets confused by this. This is really annoying because every for loop variable needs a different name.

And debugging inspecting global variables and static class members would be great too.

I'd love to see it fixed as well. Another missing thing is showing container elements. Currently only data from first element is visible.
Re: Debugger feature request [message #35524 is a reply to message #35464] Sat, 25 February 2012 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
281264 is currently offline  281264
Experienced Member
I agree with you guys. Certainly, any improvement in the debugger would be very welcome. For example, the debugger is not able to inspect the STL containers (vector, etc,..); although in U++ we have our NTL, sometimes it is convenient to use the STL.

Best regards,

Javier
Re: Debugger feature request [message #35526 is a reply to message #35524] Sat, 25 February 2012 14:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mdelfede is currently offline  mdelfede
Ultimate Contributor
For Linux part, using the new MI2 interface, it's quite easy to add STL support... The python code it's even ready to download somewhere and it's enough to add it to PrettyPrinters.py code.

About the windows part, my knowledges are too limited....

Max
Re: Debugger feature request [message #35550 is a reply to message #35526] Wed, 29 February 2012 08:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
I think there should and will be Windows refactoring, adding win64 support and matching MI2 capabilities.

But I guess it is gona happen in next cycle (or somebody else has to do it Wink. This one is dedicated to server related improvements (Core, Web, Skylark).

[Updated on: Wed, 29 February 2012 08:03]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Debugger feature request [message #35560 is a reply to message #35550] Wed, 29 February 2012 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

mirek wrote on Wed, 29 February 2012 02:03

I think there should and will be Windows refactoring, adding win64 support and matching MI2 capabilities.

What about using gdb both on windows and linux. It seems that gdb is getting better and better.
Re: Debugger feature request [message #35562 is a reply to message #35560] Wed, 29 February 2012 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
unodgs wrote on Wed, 29 February 2012 05:14

mirek wrote on Wed, 29 February 2012 02:03

What about using gdb both on windows and linux. It seems that gdb is getting better and better.

Can it debug msc produced .exe?

Mirek
Re: Debugger feature request [message #35563 is a reply to message #35562] Wed, 29 February 2012 11:55 Go to previous message
Ultimate Contributor

Sorry. I don't know what I was thinking about Smile VC uses completely different debug format... and for sure gdb doesn't support it.
Previous Topic: Feature Request TheIDE: Refactoring / crossreference / include nesting visualization graph
Next Topic: IDE crash on loading package
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 00:53:41 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01190 seconds