FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » Substring search algorithm
Substring search algorithm [message #35531] Sun, 26 February 2012 10:55 Go to next message
chickenk is currently offline  chickenk
Experienced Member
Hello,

I have a very bad knowledge of algorithms in general (I'm not a math guy...) but I found this article and I thought it could be interesting sharing it, results seem to be good (I know, I know, benchmarks have no value when they are made by the algorithm creator... anyway...) : http://volnitsky.com/project/str_search/index.html

I don't know if there are any specific substring searching algorithm in U++, but that may be interesting to compare and see who can perform better. The reference implementation is in C++, and there are fallbacks to std::search() in some places, which could be replaced by fallbacks to U++ own search implementation. I am really curious about the results from such a combination...

Hope there's something interesting to take from this algo.

Cheers
Lionel
Re: Substring search algorithm [message #35532 is a reply to message #35531] Sun, 26 February 2012 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Quite interesting idea. Have to admit took me hour+ to understand the algorithm; perhaps part of initial misunderstanding was that if I understand it well, the substring length is limited to 64KB (or H_size) (code suggest something like offset_t maximum).

Also, even the the original code suggests that it only works fine for searched strings > 20kb, because initialization costs are pretty high - that is a bit hight for Upp::String.

OTOH, it might be interesting to try this with VectorMap instead of that hash thing in the code. Very likely, it would be quite faster and init costs would be much smaller.

Mirek
Re: Substring search algorithm [message #35535 is a reply to message #35532] Mon, 27 February 2012 10:55 Go to previous message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
"Boyer-Moore-Horspool" and family of those are suitable for U++ implementation (I did it years ago in Pascal at uni), but I wonder what's the real speed up benefit in real world app, because nowadays the CPU + L1 cache operates light years faster than L2+ cache/RAM, so while BMH will save you some compares, it has to fetch the full text anyway, and I would expect a properly implemented naive byte compare will easily do it's work inside the "time window" of memory fetch of next data.

But I may try to write BMH for U++ and toy around with that for a while to see some real numbers.

[Updated on: Mon, 27 February 2012 10:55]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Intersrv/interlnk
Next Topic: Rendering
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 10:09:12 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00961 seconds