Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » U++ community news and announcements » Testers wanted for new .deb packages
Testers wanted for new .deb packages [message #35788] Wed, 21 March 2012 12:33 Go to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

Hi everyone!

After rather long time, I'm finally closing in to my goal of having new, better packaging for Ubuntu and Debian. Unfortunately I don't have any of those systems installed, so I would like to ask all the good people around the forum who are adventurous enough to try untested packages Smile

So if you are Ubuntu user, there are packages for Lucid, Maverick, Natty, Oneiric and Precise available in my testing PPA on Launchpad.

If you happen to use Debian, there are packages for Wheezy and Sid available for download from my dropbox.

All of these packages should be updated every night. As soon as I'm sure everything works as intended I'll start to move the infrastructure to the U++ servers and the packages will be uploaded into the "more official" locations.

Thanks in advance for any feedback you can give me Wink

Best regards,
Honza

[Updated on: Wed, 21 March 2012 13:30]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Testers wanted for new .deb packages [message #35823 is a reply to message #35788] Mon, 26 March 2012 18:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lance is currently offline  Lance
Contributor
Just saw it.

What am I expected to do to test the package? I am eager to be of any help Smile
Re: Testers wanted for new .deb packages [message #35824 is a reply to message #35823] Mon, 26 March 2012 22:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

Lance wrote on Mon, 26 March 2012 18:09

Just saw it.

What am I expected to do to test the package? I am eager to be of any help Smile

Hi Lance,

Just try to install the package and use it as usually. If there are some problems, you will see them soon Wink If that happens, report the troubles here or contact me directly.

If you are using ubuntu, you can just change the PPA address in /etc/apt/sources.list (or sources.list.d/...) to point to "ppa:dolik-rce/uppnightly" (yes, it is really without the "-", it's the testing repository).

If you have debian, you will just have to download the packages and install them manually using "dpkg -i", gdebi or something similar. Later on, I'll try to create proper debian repository, but right now it is not priority.

Thanks for help,
Honza
Re: Testers wanted for new .deb packages [message #35825 is a reply to message #35824] Mon, 26 March 2012 23:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor
OK. I will.
Re: Testers wanted for new .deb packages [message #35837 is a reply to message #35825] Tue, 27 March 2012 16:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor
environment: ubuntu-oneric-amd64 theide version 4714

Trying to access Package Organizer results in TheIde crashes.

Eg: open the AddressBook from examples assembly, right click on "AddressBook" in the workspace area, select "Package Organizer" in the popup menu, theide crashes with error message "Fatal Error - Invalid memory access!".
Re: Testers wanted for new .deb packages [message #35838 is a reply to message #35837] Tue, 27 March 2012 16:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor
Not sure if I should report these, but:

The following lines need to be revised to make g++-4.5 (?) happy.

1. CtrlLib/DateTimeCtrl.h
template<class T>
class DateTimeCtrl : public T {
	MultiButtonFrame drop;
	CalendarClock cc;

void OnDrop() {
		if(!this->IsEditable())
			return;

Size sz = cc.GetCalendarClockSize();

int width = sz.cx;
		int height = sz.cy;

//Rect rw = Ctrl::GetWorkArea();
		Rect rw = this->Ctrl::GetWorkArea();

// Note: I have to add this-> to satisfy the compiler.

2. CtrlLib/ArrayCtrl.cpp
String ArrayCtrl::AsCsv(bool sel, int sep, bool hdr)
{
	//char h[2] = { sep, 0 };  // [ -fpermissive]
	char h[2] = { (char)sep, 0 };
}

3. Core/Util.cpp
String Decode64(const String& s)
{
	for(;;)
	{
		byte ea = *p++ - ' ' - 1, eb = *p++ - ' ' - 1, ec = *p++ - ' ' - 1, ed = *p++ - ' ' - 1;
		//byte out[3] = { (ea << 2) | (eb >> 4), (eb << 4) | (ec >> 2), (ec << 6) | (ed >> 0) }; // same -fpermissive
		byte out[3] = { byte((ea << 2) | (eb >> 4)), byte((eb << 4) | (ec >> 2)), byte((ec << 6) | (ed >> 0)) };

Re: Testers wanted for new .deb packages [message #35841 is a reply to message #35837] Tue, 27 March 2012 18:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

Lance wrote on Tue, 27 March 2012 16:00

environment: ubuntu-oneric-amd64 theide version 4714

Trying to access Package Organizer results in TheIde crashes.

Eg: open the AddressBook from examples assembly, right click on "AddressBook" in the workspace area, select "Package Organizer" in the popup menu, theide crashes with error message "Fatal Error - Invalid memory access!".

Seems like I will have to install Ubuntu after all Sad I'll try to build packages with debugging symbols and investigate. Right now I think it could be either caused by something specific in the ubuntu environment or by some difference in the build process caused by the new makefile.

I'm not sure about the errors in the sources... I've been using gcc 4.5 for a long time without any apparent troubles. Also launchpad used gcc 4.5.2 to compile theide for the natty packages without complaints, not even warning. Are you using some unusual compiler flags? Perhaps you could post a verbose output from the compiler compiling these files, including the command line.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your help Lance Smile

Honza
Re: Testers wanted for new .deb packages [message #35849 is a reply to message #35841] Wed, 28 March 2012 05:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor
You are very welcome!

Sorry I was wrong. The g++ I used was g++-4.6.
Re: Testers wanted for new .deb packages [message #35853 is a reply to message #35849] Wed, 28 March 2012 07:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

Lance wrote on Wed, 28 March 2012 05:31

You are very welcome!

Sorry I was wrong. The g++ I used was g++-4.6.

Doesn't change much Smile 4.6 is used for compilation in Oneiric on launchpad and it worked too...

Honza
Re: Testers wanted for new .deb packages [message #35855 is a reply to message #35853] Wed, 28 March 2012 14:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tom1
Senior Contributor
Hi,

I can confirm the same problem on Kubuntu Oneiric-i386.

Best regards,

Tom
Re: Testers wanted for new .deb packages [message #35856 is a reply to message #35853] Wed, 28 March 2012 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor
Here is my gcc build method, no fancy compilation flags are discovered:

index.php?t=getfile&id=3710&private=0
Re: Testers wanted for new .deb packages [message #35857 is a reply to message #35856] Wed, 28 March 2012 14:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor
The I restored upp src (local backup) to the original state, open AddressXML, F5 to build, and here is the first error message I encountered:

index.php?t=getfile&id=3712&private=0
  • Attachment: source3.png
    (Size: 200.80KB, Downloaded 626 times)

[Updated on: Wed, 28 March 2012 14:34]

Re: Testers wanted for new .deb packages [message #35858 is a reply to message #35857] Wed, 28 March 2012 14:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor
One more issue. Not sure if it's because my system only.

Every time I F5 to run a program, it will not close cleanly after I close the main window; at least TheIde believes it's still debugging the program. I have to use Debug/Stop debugging menu to fix it.

Tom1, does this happen to you too?

[Updated on: Wed, 28 March 2012 15:13]

Re: Testers wanted for new .deb packages [message #35859 is a reply to message #35858] Wed, 28 March 2012 16:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tom1
Senior Contributor
Quote:

One more issue. Not sure if it's because my system only.

Every time I F5 to run a program, it will not close cleanly after I close the main window; at least TheIde believes it's still debugging the program. I have to use Debug/Stop debugging menu to fix it.

Tom1, does this happen to you too?

Yes, it does. I just can't remember if it was like this before too. (I usually use 'Optimal' and Ctrl+F5 on Linux. I do my day-to-day coding on Win7, so on Linux I'm just making sure my software compiles and runs there too.)

Best regards,

Tom
Re: Testers wanted for new .deb packages [message #35868 is a reply to message #35788] Thu, 29 March 2012 15:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

Hi guys,

Thanks for the details. I finally managed to get ubuntu installed in virtualbox (took me one and a half days Confused ) and found out even more problems. The setup wizard places the sources a little weirdly, some sources are missing and few other less important misfeatures. So I guess I still have some work to do Smile

Honza
Re: Testers wanted for new .deb packages [message #35877 is a reply to message #35856] Fri, 30 March 2012 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

Lance wrote on Wed, 28 March 2012 14:28

Here is my gcc build method, no fancy compilation flags are discovered:

index.php?t=getfile&id=3710&private=0

Hi Lance,

There is one fancy option in your setup Smile The "-std=c++0x" is the culprit. Without it, I can compile just fine, with it I get the same error as you. I put this issue to the redmine ( http://www.ultimatepp.org/redmine/issues/269 ) and hopefully Mirek will fix it soon.

At least this was not related to the packaging Smile I fixed the problem with the problem with missing sources already, so the last major problem is the invalid memory access when opening package organizer. I'll try to sort that out over the weekend.

Honza
Re: Testers wanted for new .deb packages [message #35879 is a reply to message #35877] Fri, 30 March 2012 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor
Oh I see.

The "Invalid memory access" issue is very important. Without it I can barely do anything meaningful in Ubuntu with TheIDE.

I will upgrade as soon as one is available and do more testing.

Thanks for your effort, Honza!

[Updated on: Fri, 30 March 2012 14:26]

Re: Testers wanted for new .deb packages [message #35880 is a reply to message #35879] Fri, 30 March 2012 15:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

Lance wrote on Fri, 30 March 2012 14:24

I will upgrade as soon as one is available and do more testing.

I just submitted a package to launchpad which should build theide with debugging symbols (if I didn't make any mistakes Smile ), so it should be possible to debug. If you want to try it, just look for theide version 4727-2dbg~oneiric0 in the same PPA as before. It should be ready in couple hours at most. I probably won't be anywhere near computer till tomorrow, so if you happen to find the reason of the problem, leave a message here Very Happy

Honza
Re: Testers wanted for new .deb packages [message #35887 is a reply to message #35880] Sat, 31 March 2012 14:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor
I never debugged without the source but I will give it a try. Hopefully I can spend a couple of hours on it today.
Re: Testers wanted for new .deb packages [message #35889 is a reply to message #35887] Sat, 31 March 2012 15:28 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Contributor
There are package conflicts that I don't know how to fix.

index.php?t=getfile&id=3718&private=0
Previous Topic: PdfDraw font handling refactored
Next Topic: SQL refactored, adding per-thread option, added second SQLR
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 12:45:56 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01762 seconds