Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » usb linux distro
usb linux distro [message #36892] Wed, 18 July 2012 12:38 Go to next message
forlano is currently offline  forlano
Senior Contributor
Hello,

I would like to install linux on usb for my netbook (Atom N450) currently running windows 7. Which distro, U++ compatible, do you suggest?

Thanks,
Luigi
Re: usb linux distro [message #36893 is a reply to message #36892] Wed, 18 July 2012 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

forlano wrote on Wed, 18 July 2012 12:38

Hello,

I would like to install linux on usb for my netbook (Atom N450) currently running windows 7. Which distro, U++ compatible, do you suggest?

Thanks,
Luigi

Hi Luigi,

U++ is probably compatible with pretty much any distro. So the only criterion might be availability of packages (so you don't have to compile theide all the time), which narrows it to Ubuntu and it's derivatives.

I personally don't like Ubuntu much and I would definitely go for some of the more lightweight clones, like Xubuntu, Lubuntu or CrunchBang. I also heard a lot of good words about LinuxMint.

I use U++ on netbook as well (older Atom N270) and I can tell that having lightweight environment makes a difference Smile

Best regards,
Honza
Re: usb linux distro [message #36894 is a reply to message #36892] Wed, 18 July 2012 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chickenk is currently offline  chickenk
Experienced Member
I am surprised that Honza does not suggest Arch Linux... You're the U++ PKGBUILD maintainer, am I right? and it should be light enough to run nicely on a USB stick I think.

My 2 cents... I am not personally using Arch Linux anymore, this is not self-advertisement. But it's a good and light distribution IMO.

Lionel
Re: usb linux distro [message #36895 is a reply to message #36894] Wed, 18 July 2012 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

chickenk wrote on Wed, 18 July 2012 13:20

I am surprised that Honza does not suggest Arch Linux... You're the U++ PKGBUILD maintainer, am I right? and it should be light enough to run nicely on a USB stick I think.

My 2 cents... I am not personally using Arch Linux anymore, this is not self-advertisement. But it's a good and light distribution IMO.

Lionel

The reason I didn't mention ArchLinux is simple Lionel Smile It is nice and lightweight, but it requires maintenance and also certain level of knowledge about Linux. Secondly, I think there are no live images with GUI for Arch. Oh, and it still requires you to recompile theide when updating, which takes quite some time on Atom cpu Smile

Honza
Re: usb linux distro [message #36896 is a reply to message #36895] Wed, 18 July 2012 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chickenk is currently offline  chickenk
Experienced Member
My bad, I thought there were precompiled packages available as well. As for the GUI distro... I thought about Archie because I used it a few years ago but it seems the project does not exist anymore.

Anyway you're the expert here, so Luigi please follow Honza advices Wink

Cheers
Lionel
Re: usb linux distro [message #36901 is a reply to message #36893] Wed, 18 July 2012 21:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
dolik.rce wrote on Wed, 18 July 2012 13:15

Hi Luigi,

U++ is probably compatible with pretty much any distro. So the only criterion might be availability of packages (so you don't have to compile theide all the time), which narrows it to Ubuntu and it's derivatives.

I personally don't like Ubuntu much and I would definitely go for some of the more lightweight clones, like Xubuntu, Lubuntu or CrunchBang. I also heard a lot of good words about LinuxMint.

I use U++ on netbook as well (older Atom N270) and I can tell that having lightweight environment makes a difference Smile

Best regards,
Honza

Hi Honza!

this message is sent from my super new lubuntu distro on 8 Gb usb connected with a netbook.
It works out of box. The navigation seems faster than windows 7.
Now I'll try u++... but so far I like it.
BTW... what do I have to download Rolling Eyes for this distro? I would like to have Theide already in binary.

Thanks,
Luigi

[Updated on: Wed, 18 July 2012 22:04]

Report message to a moderator

Re: usb linux distro [message #36902 is a reply to message #36901] Wed, 18 July 2012 22:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

forlano wrote on Wed, 18 July 2012 21:59

BTW... what do I have to download Rolling Eyes for this distro? I would like to have Theide already in binary.

I never tried this myself, so I am only guessing Smile I think it should work if you just follow this guide. If you run into some trouble let me know (either here or I'm currently logged on both ICQ and IRC).

Honza

[Updated on: Wed, 18 July 2012 22:54]

Re: usb linux distro [message #36907 is a reply to message #36902] Thu, 19 July 2012 21:46 Go to previous message
Senior Contributor
dolik.rce wrote on Wed, 18 July 2012 22:53

forlano wrote on Wed, 18 July 2012 21:59

I never tried this myself, so I am only guessing Smile I think it should work if you just follow this guide. If you run into some trouble let me know (either here or I'm currently logged on both ICQ and IRC).

Honza

Hi Honza,

your guide was perfect. It was amazing to see that everything worked as expected... it seemed to me a sort of black magic (I started with a slackware 20 years ago and the nowadays technology is fantastic).
Congratulation and thank you.

Luigi

[Updated on: Fri, 20 July 2012 00:39]

Previous Topic: Where to find free icons?
Next Topic: offline next 14 days....
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 22:50:47 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00978 seconds