Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Newbie corner » Raspberry (Raspbian) - ARM 6 Core + Ultimate++?
Raspberry (Raspbian) - ARM 6 Core + Ultimate++? [message #36976] Fri, 03 August 2012 13:25 Go to next message
Wolfgang is currently offline  Wolfgang
Experienced Member
Is it possible to run Ultimate++ on a Raspberry PI (with Raspbian) as OS?!
Re: Raspberry (Raspbian) - ARM 6 Core + Ultimate++? [message #36979 is a reply to message #36976] Fri, 03 August 2012 18:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Didier is currently offline  Didier
Contributor
Hi Wolfgang,

Raspbian is a linux tuned for the rasberry PI so for me it should run without any problems

Maybe some others have already tried ?
Re: Raspberry (Raspbian) - ARM 6 Core + Ultimate++? [message #37003 is a reply to message #36979] Tue, 07 August 2012 16:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
twkrimm is currently offline  twkrimm
Did you find out if it works on the Raspberry PI?
Re: Raspberry (Raspbian) - ARM 6 Core + Ultimate++? [message #37004 is a reply to message #36979] Tue, 07 August 2012 18:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Didier wrote on Fri, 03 August 2012 12:16

Hi Wolfgang,

Raspbian is a linux tuned for the rasberry PI so for me it should run without any problems

Well, somebody mentioned on the forum that in order to link theide, you need at least 512MB of RAM.

Mirek
Re: Raspberry (Raspbian) - ARM 6 Core + Ultimate++? [message #37025 is a reply to message #37004] Thu, 09 August 2012 15:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
hmm okay... I've downloaded the sources with svn.. but how to build it? Is there a tutorial or something like that?
Re: Raspberry (Raspbian) - ARM 6 Core + Ultimate++? [message #37027 is a reply to message #37025] Thu, 09 August 2012 20:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Wolfgang wrote on Thu, 09 August 2012 09:30

hmm okay... I've downloaded the sources with svn.. but how to build it? Is there a tutorial or something like that?

I think that in order to build on new platform, tarball of nightly build would be better (as it has generated makefile).

As for instruction, you will be the first to try, so I hope to get some from you Wink

Mirek
Re: Raspberry (Raspbian) - ARM 6 Core + Ultimate++? [message #37041 is a reply to message #37027] Fri, 10 August 2012 20:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
of course I'll give you information - if it would work for me..

but i got stucked at the very beginning of make for upp-x11-src-5267 - it tells me that my arch is unknown (but in the makefile there is an entry for arm) - how to find out which arch-string it uses?

> arch
> armv6l
Re: Raspberry (Raspbian) - ARM 6 Core + Ultimate++? [message #37048 is a reply to message #36976] Sat, 11 August 2012 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

I don't have Raspberry, but just for fun I tried to build a cross compile toolchain and build umk for arm. I followed this guide and then set up build method in TheIDE to use the toolchain. I noticed only two problems: First, the Core/config.h didn't recognize the architecture correctly, so I had to help it a little. Second problem was that I don't have the libraries for arm on my system. If you have raspbian installed, I think it should suffice to just copy the include and lib folders.

Because of the missing libraries the linking failed, but otherwise I think everything should work fine. Just my two cents Smile

Best regards,
Honza
Re: Raspberry (Raspbian) - ARM 6 Core + Ultimate++? [message #37058 is a reply to message #37048] Sun, 12 August 2012 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
Okay, I tried and after installing some libs, changing two config files and after hours of compiling I got this:

Quote:

idewin.cpp:(.text._ZN3IdeC2Ev+0x8e0): undefined reference to `Upp::CPU_Cores()'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [ide.out] Fehler 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/wolfgang/upp.src/uppsrc'

This is the point there I don't know how to handle it..

[Updated on: Sun, 12 August 2012 09:59]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Raspberry (Raspbian) - ARM 6 Core + Ultimate++? [message #37059 is a reply to message #37058] Sun, 12 August 2012 11:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

The function is defined in Core/Cpu.cpp, like this:
#ifdef CPU_X86
int CPU_Cores() {
	static int n;
	ONCELOCK {
		// platform dependent code to find out number of cores
	}
	return n;
}
#else
inline int CPU_Cores() {
	return 1;	
}
#endif

It should never be undefined... Although the fallback to assuming one core is not really correct, it should work. At least for now.

My guess the problem is in the 'inline' keyword. Try removing that...

Honza
Re: Raspberry (Raspbian) - ARM 6 Core + Ultimate++? [message #37060 is a reply to message #37059] Sun, 12 August 2012 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
ahhh, thank you - I'll try and give you response Very Happy
Re: Raspberry (Raspbian) - ARM 6 Core + Ultimate++? [message #37061 is a reply to message #37060] Sun, 12 August 2012 21:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
It has compiled... now i will try to start Very Happy
Re: Raspberry (Raspbian) - ARM 6 Core + Ultimate++? [message #37062 is a reply to message #37061] Sun, 12 August 2012 22:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

Wolfgang wrote on Sun, 12 August 2012 21:39

It has compiled... now i will try to start Very Happy

Wow, that went better than I expected Very Happy
Re: Raspberry (Raspbian) - ARM 6 Core + Ultimate++? [message #37076 is a reply to message #37062] Sat, 18 August 2012 16:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
Here's a short manual what to do... for the one who will compile it on raspberry: It takes hours, really!

Started theIde one time but until now I haven't found the time to try to create a projekt or compile a own projekt on the raspberry.

I've used the tarball version:
http://www.ultimatepp.org/www$uppweb$nightly$en-us.html
First of all, we need some packages: libx11, libxft, libnotify, libgtk2.0, libbz2
	apt-get install libx11-dev libxft-dev libnotify-dev libgtk2.0-dev libbz2-dev

2. Edit ./uppsrc/Core/config.h Line 91,
	Change
		#elif __arm // ToDo!
	to
		#elif __arm || __arm__ // ToDo

3. Edit /usr/include/glib-2.0/glib/gtypes.h Line 34,
	Change 
		#include <glibconfig.h>
	to
		#include </usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/glib-2.0/include/glibconfig.h>

4. Linking gdkconfig.h
	ln -s /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/gtk-2.0/include/gdkconfig.h /usr/include/

5. Edit ./uppsrc/Core/Cpu.cpp Line 104,
	Change
		inline int CPU_Cores()
	to
		int CPU_Cores()
6. do a "make" and compile it!

[Updated on: Sat, 18 August 2012 16:38]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Raspberry (Raspbian) - ARM 6 Core + Ultimate++? [message #37077 is a reply to message #37076] Sat, 18 August 2012 17:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

Hi Wolfgang,

Congratulation on the successful build Smile

Points 2. and 5. should be committed to Core soon. Points 3. and 4. should be properly solved by editing include and lib path, respectively. When using tarball, just add the paths to CINC and LIBPATH variables at the beginning of uppsrc/Makefile.

I believe that compiling anything using U++ on Raspberry would be reaaally slow. Especially when using makefile (thus not using BLITZ) on single core processor. That is why cross compiling was invented Smile

Honza
Re: Raspberry (Raspbian) - ARM 6 Core + Ultimate++? [message #37078 is a reply to message #37077] Sat, 18 August 2012 22:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
Yes, of course you're right. But it's a nice feeling to know that you can compile it on raspberry itself respectively to know that u++ compiles on raspberry! Very Happy
Re: Raspberry (Raspbian) - ARM 6 Core + Ultimate++? [message #37079 is a reply to message #37078] Sat, 18 August 2012 22:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

Wolfgang wrote on Sat, 18 August 2012 22:07

Yes, of course you're right. But it's a nice feeling to know that you can compile it on raspberry itself respectively to know that u++ compiles on raspberry! Very Happy

Very Happy Yes, it is very good to know that U++ works well on ARM.
Re: Raspberry (Raspbian) - ARM 6 Core + Ultimate++? [message #37080 is a reply to message #37079] Sat, 18 August 2012 23:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
I will try it soon. I have got one Smile.

Best regards
IƱaki
Re: Raspberry (Raspbian) - ARM 6 Core + Ultimate++? [message #37188 is a reply to message #37080] Tue, 04 September 2012 12:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kohait00 is currently offline  kohait00
Experienced Contributor
what about precompiled upp libs? for most common architectures and a detailed guide how to cross compile for other platforms (todos on upp side)? sth. in the stile of SDL, with core, gfx, etc..

i dont know, probably sth like this exists already...
Re: Raspberry (Raspbian) - ARM 6 Core + Ultimate++? [message #37194 is a reply to message #37188] Tue, 04 September 2012 15:42 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Zbych is currently offline  Zbych
There is short guide on raspbian page that describes how to build cross tools:

http://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianDocumentation
http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=YrtntGtU

It would be nice to be able to build upp-arm applications on PC.
RP is just to slow and has to little memory, to be reasonable platform for development.
Previous Topic: Is it possible to embed a Skylark app in a normal U++ GUI app?
Next Topic: How do you create this?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 22:29:46 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01468 seconds