Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Newbie corner » [SOLVED] WIN32 API "MoveFile" and LineEdit Ctrl issue
icon5.gif  [SOLVED] WIN32 API "MoveFile" and LineEdit Ctrl issue [message #37856] Mon, 19 November 2012 06:32 Go to next message
navi is currently offline  navi
Experienced Member
Objective: Trying to batch rename files.

Problem: WIN32 API "MoveFile" fails to rename files if the file names are fetched from LineEdit Ctrl.

My guess is it has got something to do with hidden end of line char or CHARSET Unicode Ascii conversion issue. But I did not yet find a way to fix the problem. It is essential that I fetch the file name from the LineEdit Ctrl. Where the LineEdit Ctrl has multiple lines and each line is a file name.

I have coded a sample program to replicate the problem. Attached are the codes and screen-shots.

Thanks,
Navi

Reference:
MoveFile function (Windows) [MSDN]
System Error Codes (0-499) (Windows) [MSDN]

#include <CtrlLib/CtrlLib.h>
#include <CtrlCore/CtrlCore.h>

using namespace Upp;

GUI_APP_MAIN
{

TopWindow w;
	LineEdit e,f; 
	Vector<String> v1, v2; // Vectors for Storing File Names
	String s;      // String for temporary use
	bool r=false;  // r to keep the "MoveFile" API Return
	int err_no=0;  // err_no to keep "GetLastError" API Return

// GUI SETUP CODE
	e.SetRect(10,10,680,100);
	f.SetRect(10,120,680,220);
	w.SetRect(0,0,700,350);

w<<e<<f;

// ADDING SOME DUMMY BUT VALID FILE NAMES THAT DO EXIST
	v1.Add("E:\\TEMP\\1.txt");
	v1.Add("E:\\TEMP\\2.txt");
	v1.Add("E:\\TEMP\\3.txt");

// CATENATING VECTOR 'v1' INOT TEMP STRING 's' TO LOAD ALL FILE NAMEs INTO LINEEDIT
	for(int i=0; i<v1.GetCount(); i++){
		 s<<v1[i]<<"\n";
	}

e.Set(s);

// FETCHING THE FILE NAME BACK FROM THE LINEEDIT AND SPLITTING THEM INTO SEPERATE STRING
	s.Clear();

s=e.Get();

v2=Split(s, "\n", true);

// TEST-1: RENAMEING FILES USING v1 FILE NAME TO v1 FILE NAME (Ya Same Names. for tests only!)
	s.Clear();

s<<"DEBUG INFO: TEST-1:\n";

r=MoveFile(v1[i],v1[i]);

(!r)? err_no=GetLastError() : err_no=0;	

s<<"RENAME "
		 <<v1[i]<<" => "<<v1[i]
		 <<" [Done="<<r<<"] [Error="
		 <<err_no<<"]\n";		
	}

// TEST-2: RENAMEING FILES USING v1 FILE NAME TO v2 FILE NAME (Ya Same Names. but from LineEdit Ctrl)
	s<<"\nDEBUG INFO: TEST-2:\n";

r=MoveFile(v1[i],v2[i]);

s<<"RENAME "
		 <<v1[i]<<" => "<<v2[i]
		 <<err_no<<"]\n";		
	}	

s<<"\n***Error Code 123(0x7B) = ERROR_INVALID_NAME\n";

// PRINTING THE RESULTS
	f.Set(s);

// Executing the Window
	w.Run();
}
  • Attachment: main.cpp
    (Size: 1.79KB, Downloaded 249 times)

[Updated on: Mon, 19 November 2012 13:51]

Report message to a moderator

Re: WIN32 API "MoveFile" and LineEdit Ctrl issue [message #37857 is a reply to message #37856] Mon, 19 November 2012 06:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
Screen Shot of the Sample App.
index.php?t=getfile&id=3926&private=0
  • Attachment: pic1.PNG
    (Size: 19.54KB, Downloaded 950 times)
Re: WIN32 API "MoveFile" and LineEdit Ctrl issue [message #37858 is a reply to message #37857] Mon, 19 November 2012 06:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
Screen Shot of the Files.
index.php?t=getfile&id=3927&private=0
  • Attachment: pic2.PNG
    (Size: 44.88KB, Downloaded 916 times)
Re: WIN32 API "MoveFile" and LineEdit Ctrl issue [message #37860 is a reply to message #37858] Mon, 19 November 2012 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
unknown user
Hello Navi,

The problem is not with U++ but how you use WINAPI.
Quote:

lpNewFileName [in]
The new name for the file or directory. The new name must not already exist. A new file may be on a different file system or drive. A new directory must be on the same drive.

What are you trying to do is exactly what this API call doesn't allow. It should work if you choose a new name for files.

Best regards,
Andrei
Re: WIN32 API "MoveFile" and LineEdit Ctrl issue [message #37861 is a reply to message #37860] Mon, 19 November 2012 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
Hello Andrei,

Thanks for your reply. but I don't think "MoveFile" API has any issue renaming file with same name or with a different name in that matter. See the Test-1 success even when file is rename with same name. Yet on the Test-2 when the file names are fetched from the LineEdit Ctrl "MoveFile" complains invalid filename regardless if the name is same or different. Once you fetch text from LineEdit those text are not valid filename! My guess it might have hidden backslash "n" at the end or the CHARSET gets changed.

Thanks
Navi
Re: WIN32 API "MoveFile" and LineEdit Ctrl issue [message #37862 is a reply to message #37861] Mon, 19 November 2012 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
Hello Navi

I am not sure if this can serve you but in U++ there is a FileMove() function. Please check it if there is anything useful for you:

bool FileMove(const char *oldname, const char *newname)
{
#if defined(PLATFORM_WIN32)
	if(IsWinNT())
	else
		return !!MoveFile(ToSystemCharset(oldname), ToSystemCharset(newname));
#elif defined(PLATFORM_POSIX)
#else
#endif//PLATFORM
}

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: WIN32 API "MoveFile" and LineEdit Ctrl issue [message #37864 is a reply to message #37862] Mon, 19 November 2012 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
Hello koldo,

Many thanks for that piece of code. I will much prefer to use the U++ function, as it looks cross platform. however i have tried "FileMove" instead of "MoveFile" API. But the result is still the same error 123. After all FileMove is also calling "MoveFile" API at the end. I feel the problem is out of my deapth. I know there is something strange is going on when the filenames are fetched from LineEdit Ctrl. And I can not think of any wasys to investigate the inside the String. If I prints out the string on LineEdit Ctrl again, they visually looks normal. But my hunch is, its something to do with hidden chars or char codes.
Re: WIN32 API "MoveFile" and LineEdit Ctrl issue [message #37866 is a reply to message #37864] Mon, 19 November 2012 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Veteran
navi wrote on Mon, 19 November 2012 09:54

Hello koldo,

Many thanks for that piece of code. I will much prefer to use the U++ function, as it looks cross platform. however i have tried "FileMove" instead of "MoveFile" API. But the result is still the same error 123. After all FileMove is also calling "MoveFile" API at the end. I feel the problem is out of my deapth. I know there is something strange is going on when the filenames are fetched from LineEdit Ctrl. And I can not think of any wasys to investigate the inside the String. If I prints out the string on LineEdit Ctrl again, they visually looks normal. But my hunch is, its something to do with hidden chars or char codes.

Hello Navi

IMHO 99.99% computing problems in U++ have a reason Smile.

Please reduce your example until the simplest possible test case and we would check it.

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: WIN32 API "MoveFile" and LineEdit Ctrl issue [message #37869 is a reply to message #37856] Mon, 19 November 2012 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
deep is currently offline  deep
Experienced Member
index.php?t=getfile&id=3928&private=0I did some quick check by putting the v2 strings in String Buffer

Results shows there 0x0D at the end of the string. I think this may be the error.

String s3;

for ( int i = 0; i < v1.GetCount(); i++ ) {
		StringBuffer sb1;
		int len = v2[i].GetLength() ;
		sb1.SetLength ( len );
		sb1 = v2[i];

for ( int i = 0; i < len; i++ ) {
			s3 << Format ( "%02X", ( byte ) sb1[i] ) << "|" ;
		}

s3 << "\n\n";

/*
				r=MoveFile(v1[i],v2[i]);

s<<"RENAME "
				 <<v1[i]<<" => "<<v2[i]
				 <<err_no<<"]\n";
		*/
	}

s << "\n" << s3 << "\n";

// PRINTING THE RESULTS
	f.Set ( s );
  • Attachment: movefile.JPG
    (Size: 38.01KB, Downloaded 883 times)

Warm Regards

Deepak
Re: WIN32 API "MoveFile" and LineEdit Ctrl issue [message #37870 is a reply to message #37869] Mon, 19 November 2012 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Veteran
Hello Deep

I see that all file names end in a '0D' char that is a '\r'.

v2 Vector has been filled from a LineEdit using:

v2 = Split(s, "\n", true);

This means that every v2 element ends with a '0D' char.

If you would do this no '0D' char would be added:

v2 = Split(s, "\r\n", true);

Have I interpreted it well?

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: WIN32 API "MoveFile" and LineEdit Ctrl issue [message #37871 is a reply to message #37856] Mon, 19 November 2012 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
deep is currently offline  deep
Experienced Member
Hi Koldo,

I think your solution will work.

It gives filename without any extra chars ("\r\n").

Warm Regards

Deepak
Re: WIN32 API "MoveFile" and LineEdit Ctrl issue [message #37872 is a reply to message #37856] Mon, 19 November 2012 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Veteran
99.99% + 1 Smile

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: WIN32 API "MoveFile" and LineEdit Ctrl issue [message #37873 is a reply to message #37872] Mon, 19 November 2012 13:50 Go to previous message
Experienced Member
Hello Deep and Koldo,

First of all let me congratulate and thank you guys for great detective investigation. Deep, great technique for investigating strings. I also solve it by myself but was a bit late to reply. But I found the solution and the cause of the problem by chance. Since, unlike Deep I could not figure how to look inside the string, I assume the string has something invisible and started to write my very own splitter. char by char. While doing that I stumble upon the issue that it's not that easy to split where '\n' is the delimiter. Upon searching the forum I stumble upon the following post by "great" Mirek: which essentially explains the problem and provides a elegant solution. Applying his Filter() solution I got it working immediately.

http://www.ultimatepp.org/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=104 91&

mirek wrote on Tue, 10 July 2007 23:26

Well, it is not U++, it is M$... Back in MSDOS days, they have decided that line are to be ended with "\r\n" and this stupid idea is still alive.

Standard C library solves this problem by intruducing "text" and "binary" streams (text streams remove/insert \r on read/write), but IMO that just adds to confusion.

U++ general take on the problem is to ignore all \r characters on input and insert \r before each \n on output - but both is to be handled by the code.

In your case you have many options. One simple is to filter out all \r out before Split:

int NoCr(int c) { return c == '\r' ? 0 : c; }

Split(Filter(s, NoCr), '\n')

As you seem to ignore empty lines, another simple solution (with a bit better performance) is to treat \r like \n (because it will just result in empty line, which is ignored anyway):

int CrOrLf(int c) { return c == '\r' || c == '\n' ? c : 0; }

Split(s, CrOrLf);

Mirek

Screen Shot of the Program applying Mirek's Filter() Solution.

index.php?t=getfile&id=3929&private=0

Thank you very much for your help guys. I really appreciate it.

Navi

• Attachment: pic3.png
    (Size: 71.21KB, Downloaded 811 times)

[Updated on: Mon, 19 November 2012 14:26]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Frameless(true); bug, my error or ???
Next Topic: EditDoubleSpin
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 09:24:26 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01356 seconds