Overview
Examples
Screenshots
Comparisons
Applications
Download
Documentation
Tutorials
Bazaar
Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums












SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ TheIDE » U++ TheIDE: Other Features Wishlist and/or Bugs » Autocomplete sometimes works, sometimes doesn't
Autocomplete sometimes works, sometimes doesn't [message #38677] Fri, 04 January 2013 21:24 Go to next message
CppMod is currently offline  CppMod
Messages: 11
Registered: February 2011
Location: Plano, TX
Promising Member
I'm trying to figure out what I have done to make autocomplete quit working, or only work some of the time.

The problem seems to be intermittent. For a while, it seemed that I would get it back by re-starting TheIDE. Sometimes it would work on some classes, and not on others -- then mysteriously start working on the classes that weren't formerly working.

Now, it has suddenly stopped working at all, and I have no idea what I have done to make it stop -- and nothing I've tried will start it up again.

I've double-checked the spelling, capitalization, etc. Using CTRL+SPACE doesn't appear to do anything. Using CTRL+[,] appears to do something, but presents a very long list (including items not in the class of the current variable). And when I pick something from the list, it sends the cursor to some random place in the file.

Could somebody take a guess at what I might have done to cause this.

UPDATE: I got it to start working again by using CTRL+SHIFT+Y on a variable name. But I am still clueless about what I might have done to make it quit working.


611bb927f8731cdc83c3f1eb09e758ac
Re: Autocomplete sometimes works, sometimes doesn't [message #38679 is a reply to message #38677] Sat, 05 January 2013 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Messages: 1778
Registered: August 2008
Location: Czech Republic
Senior Contributor

CppMod wrote on Fri, 04 January 2013 21:24

The problem seems to be intermittent. For a while, it seemed that I would get it back by re-starting TheIDE. Sometimes it would work on some classes, and not on others -- then mysteriously start working on the classes that weren't formerly working.


This is typically caused by syntactic errors in the edited file. They some time confuse the parser and it results in autocompletition working only in the part of the files before the parsing failed. Easiest way to fix that is to check and correct the errors if there are some...

Of course, it can be something else as well. The C++ parsing is quite complex task and it's possible there are still some bugs...

Best regards,
Honza
Re: Autocomplete sometimes works, sometimes doesn't [message #38680 is a reply to message #38679] Sat, 05 January 2013 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Zbych is currently offline  Zbych
Messages: 313
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
dolik.rce wrote on Sat, 05 January 2013 12:10


This is typically caused by syntactic errors in the edited file.


Autocomplete often stops working even if source file compiles without any warning. Sometimes it is something stupid like bracket placement. In that case I use editor background color as an indicator of the place where parser stopped working Smile.

I hoped that Daniel's clang tests could improve the situation, but it appears that the idea died.

Re: Autocomplete sometimes works, sometimes doesn't [message #38681 is a reply to message #38680] Sat, 05 January 2013 13:10 Go to previous message
unodgs is currently offline  unodgs
Messages: 1356
Registered: November 2005
Location: Poland
Senior Contributor

Zbych wrote on Sat, 05 January 2013 06:47

of the place where parser stopped working Smile.
I hoped that Daniel's clang tests could improve the situation, but it appears that the idea died.


At that time it turned out I was doing things wrong and autocompletion is not so fast if windows.h is included. Also I was not able to create precompiled headers because clang had problems with parsing visual c++ extensions. According to clang's mailing list things seem to improve but it's still not in the fully usable point. Then I simply gave up. But what's possible is to use mingw headers instead, but this requires clang on windows to search for mingw files and libs. I was not able to make it work because it required changing of clang source code. But I saw such precompiled version some time ago so maybe I should try it again.
But that's not all. Qt guys went much further than me in supporting clang in their qt creator and they said that all in all clang is too slow to use it as runtime intellisense engine. But I still hope that will change. For now it's better to improve Mirek's parser.
Previous Topic: Paste into QtfDesigner a table copied from Excel
Next Topic: Feature request: ability to save/restore build methods
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Tue Aug 11 05:11:50 CEST 2020

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01209 seconds