Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Newbie corner » How to host a Skylark app?
How to host a Skylark app? [message #40329] Sat, 20 July 2013 04:37 Go to next message
lectus is currently offline  lectus
Does the server need to provide any kind of settings to run binaries?

Most servers I know provide support via PHP which is a scripting language.

What about a C++ web application. How does it work?
Re: How to host a Skylark app? [message #40330 is a reply to message #40329] Sat, 20 July 2013 16:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

lectus wrote on Sat, 20 July 2013 04:37

Does the server need to provide any kind of settings to run binaries?

Most servers I know provide support via PHP which is a scripting language.

What about a C++ web application. How does it work?

Hi lectus

The only thing you need is to be able to run your own application on the server. Unlike PHP or Python, which are interpreted languages and can be just uploaded to the hosting and run by some generic server (e.g. apache), Skylark app is a server in itself. So there are basically two requirements on the hosting:

1) It should have SSH access, so you can start the application
2) It must allow you to do some tasks that can be restricted such as starting your own applications or listening on a socket.

Also, you need to make sure that the server has same versions of libraries that you compiled your app against. The easiest (but not always possible) way to do that is to compile the application directly on the server that will run it. So a third point which is not really necessary, but helpful, would be:

3) Provides a C++ compiler

Most VPS (virtual private server) should give you just that. The price is usually not much different from regular hosting, but it requires little more know-how on your side to manage it. As of late, some not-really-VPS services emerge, which can be used for hosting Skylark apps. I experiment with openshift lately and it seems to be working just fine. Once I have the application up and running, I promise to share a detailed guide how it can be done Wink

If you have some more specific questions, feel free to ask more Smile I'm very interested in this topic myself Very Happy

Best regards,
Honza

PS: I skipped the most obvious option: Running your own server. But judging by the question, I decided it is not really what you'd like to hear Smile
Re: How to host a Skylark app? [message #40332 is a reply to message #40330] Sat, 20 July 2013 23:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sergeynikitin is currently offline  sergeynikitin
Contributor

I'm use RUNIT for binary fast restarting if problem occur.

RUNIT has very light config for user services.

(And yes, to start RUNIT and run your skylark app as service, you need superuser rights).

I've tested with XML-RPC command center. But with HTTP-service will be same.

SergeyNikitin<U++>( linux, wine )
{
    under( Ubuntu || Debian || Raspbian );
}
Re: How to host a Skylark app? [message #40333 is a reply to message #40330] Sun, 21 July 2013 04:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lectus is currently offline  lectus
dolik.rce wrote on Sat, 20 July 2013 10:32

PS: I skipped the most obvious option: Running your own server. But judging by the question, I decided it is not really what you'd like to hear Smile

Thanks for your answer!

Yeah, running my own server is ok when building an intranet application. For example: providing Desktop and WEB versions of the same U++ application.

But my question was more for a website type of application which requires a dedicated hosting service.

Thanks for pointing out Openshift. I like their free plan for learning.
I look forward your tutorial on hosting Skylark app.

[Updated on: Sun, 21 July 2013 04:35]

Report message to a moderator

Re: How to host a Skylark app? [message #40335 is a reply to message #40332] Sun, 21 July 2013 16:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

sergeynikitin wrote on Sat, 20 July 2013 23:23

I'm use RUNIT for binary fast restarting if problem occur.

Yes, having a some kind of supervising process (a.k.a. watchdog) is a good thing. There is many options available: runit, daemontools, systemd, monit, supervisord and probably many others. Some hosting services provide some solution already, with others you can choose yourself.

Honza
Re: How to host a Skylark app? [message #40336 is a reply to message #40335] Sun, 21 July 2013 18:38 Go to previous message
sergeynikitin is currently offline  sergeynikitin
Contributor

RunIt is tool, that may be install on system already have other system service supervisor.

Runit may work as second supervisor for application services only.

I recommend RunIt!

SergeyNikitin<U++>( linux, wine )
{
    under( Ubuntu || Debian || Raspbian );
}
Previous Topic: QTFStr
Next Topic: WindowProc invoked while in Paint routine
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 10:09:42 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.05755 seconds