Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » U++ MT-multithreading and servers » COM servers
COM servers [message #41055] Fri, 25 October 2013 12:21 Go to next message
keltor is currently offline  keltor
Hi,

I am developing a simple, widget-like app in U++ that draws a graph. It occurred to me that this kind of widgets could be turned into COM servers to be used in third party applications. For example, in the case at hand, the user could embed a graph in Powerpoint and change the scale in real time, in the middle of a presentation.

However, I am quite inexperienced in programming ActiveX. I was wondering if someone has tried something similar.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Regards,

Kel

PS: There is an excellent example in Bazaar of OLE automation to control LibreOffice and Microsoft Office. But this is sort of the opposite case, and I haven't seen it anywhere and I personally don't know how (if?) it could be done.
Re: COM servers [message #41057 is a reply to message #41055] Sat, 26 October 2013 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Didier is currently offline  Didier
Contributor
Hi Keltor,

Very interresting idea.
I have no idea how to use COM objects : so I can't help you.

If this can be done I would be interested by the solution (and an example of this com object)
Re: COM servers [message #41065 is a reply to message #41055] Mon, 28 October 2013 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nlneilson is currently offline  nlneilson
Contributor
Hi Keltor

I don't know how LibreOffice or M$ Office are controlled but it seems like your app would be a Client and Powerpoint would be the server.

A Client initiates a communication and a Server acts on that and responds if necessary.

[Updated on: Mon, 28 October 2013 08:31]

Report message to a moderator

Re: COM servers [message #41067 is a reply to message #41055] Mon, 28 October 2013 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ah, that may be. I thought that the server had to be the app that provides the interactive content. Thanks, that makes things clearer to me.
Re: COM servers [message #41083 is a reply to message #41067] Wed, 30 October 2013 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
Sorry Keltor. I have some idea about accessing ActiveX, but no about building them Rolling Eyes

Best regards
IƱaki
Re: COM servers [message #41096 is a reply to message #41055] Thu, 31 October 2013 08:09 Go to previous message
Well, I know that Qt for instance is quite handy with ActiveX, I was just wondering if one can do something similar with U++. Never mind then, it was just a thought experiment.
Previous Topic: SSL protocol version
Next Topic: [SOLVED] A problem with TcpSocket::GetLine()
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:40:13 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02649 seconds