Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Newbie corner » ultimate++ is a source only library?
ultimate++ is a source only library? [message #41169] Fri, 08 November 2013 09:55 Go to next message
un00b is currently offline  un00b
I just installed ultimate++ using the upp-win32-5485.exe installer.
I didn't run the installer with admin priviledge, so at the end of the installation an error message pops up asking me to rerun the installer with the priviledge.
But even without doing that I found that TheIDE was able to launch and compile the example using my TDM-GCC compiler.

However, when digging into the installed directory, I found no .lib or .dll. All I found is sources and headers under uppsrc. Is upp a source only API? Is that why it works across multiple compiler in one go? I also notice that the setup dialog box of TheIDE didn't show VS2012 and VS2013. But I'm thinking if it is source only, then it should also work with VS2012/13. Correct?
Re: ultimate++ is a source only library? [message #41172 is a reply to message #41169] Fri, 08 November 2013 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

Welcome to the forum un00b Cool

un00b wrote on Fri, 08 November 2013 09:55

I just installed ultimate++ using the upp-win32-5485.exe installer.
I didn't run the installer with admin priviledge, so at the end of the installation an error message pops up asking me to rerun the installer with the priviledge.
But even without doing that I found that TheIDE was able to launch and compile the example using my TDM-GCC compiler.

My guess is that the admin privilege is only needed to register something, create start menu items and/or similar things. In fact, the folders with theide can be just copied from one computer to another and it still works Smile

However, when digging into the installed directory, I found no .lib or .dll. All I found is sources and headers under uppsrc. Is upp a source only API?
Yes, there is no library, only the sources. They are compiled and statically linked right into your executables, so you don't have to distribute them along with your software. Also only necessary parts of the library are used and distributed, resulting in smaller file sizes.

Is that why it works across multiple compiler in one go?

All the compiler and/or platform specific code is in the same sources. So yes, you could say that distributing only the sources helps this Smile

I also notice that the setup dialog box of TheIDE didn't show VS2012 and VS2013. But I'm thinking if it is source only, then it should also work with VS2012/13. Correct?
There is some additional magic that TheIDE needs to do to compile the sources using VS, like what switches to use etc. This sometimes takes some time, but I think VS2012 support is being worked on or perhaps it is already done. The last release version you used is already quite old, I'd suggest you'd try to install the latest nightly package from here: http://www.ultimatepp.org/downloads/

Best regards,
Honza
Re: ultimate++ is a source only library? [message #41174 is a reply to message #41172] Fri, 08 November 2013 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
un00b is currently offline  un00b
Cool. Thanks for the info!
Re: ultimate++ is a source only library? [message #41193 is a reply to message #41174] Sun, 10 November 2013 22:04 Go to previous message
BioBytes is currently offline  BioBytes
Hi un00b,

U++ is a flexible development tool as already described by Honza. Many compilers can be used to build your own applications using Ultimate libraries. For example, you could find below the build method for Microsoft MSC10:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\Ide
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Vc\Bin
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\Bin

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Vc\Include
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\Include

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Vc\Lib
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\Lib

Hope this could be helpful Smile

Regards

Biobytes
Previous Topic: [Visual Studio 2012] error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol
Next Topic: Build debian package on Debian/kFreeBSD