Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » U++ community news and announcements » New rainbow web backend experiment: javascript terminal to U++
New rainbow web backend experiment: javascript terminal to U++ [message #41547] Sat, 28 December 2013 14:58 Go to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
I am now experimenting with HTML5 to U++ server backend.

The goal is to make any U++ application, possibly with minor tweaks, run on server controlled from browser. The target performace should be about as good as using windows application over terminal server.

I have some initial success, and right now (until it crashes Smile you can see the result at:

http://www.eventcraft.eu:8000

Beware, the is so far no code to run separate sessions for users, everybody will see that same running process.

Only reasonable recent versions of Firefox and Chrome (and perhaps Safari) are supported. I doubt IE will ever be good enough...

Right now, latency is not very good, because I am using plain Ajax to communicate with server. I believe that going websockets should significantly improve the situation - I am working on that now.

Bandwith seems to be minor issue even now, being at about 20KB/s, but I have a couple of ideas how to improve on that as well.

Finally, it might be quite a good idea to abandon canvas drawing and instead use WebGL. But that is less important....

If you want to see the code (or even collaborate), it is in

rainbow/WebWord

Mirek
Re: New rainbow web backend experiment: javascript terminal to U++ [message #41548 is a reply to message #41547] Sat, 28 December 2013 16:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

Wow, that's freaking awesome Smile

Judging by what I saw before it stopped responding, it works quite well Smile Even on my slowish computer it is usable. All it needs is a nice chameleon skin to make it look more like a web app and less like Win98 Wink

Also, I'm under the impression that you run it under root user. That is probably not good idea, with application that can read and write files to disk Very Happy

Best regards,
Honza
Re: New rainbow web backend experiment: javascript terminal to U++ [message #41549 is a reply to message #41547] Sat, 28 December 2013 17:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

PS:

mirek wrote on Sat, 28 December 2013 14:58

Beware, the is so far no code to run separate sessions for users, everybody will see that same running process.

There are some rendering artifacts when another client interacts with the app. But apart from that it behaves just like any modern collaboration framework. So it is probably not a bug, it is a feature Very Happy

Honza
Re: New rainbow web backend experiment: javascript terminal to U++ [message #41550 is a reply to message #41548] Sat, 28 December 2013 17:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
dolik.rce wrote on Sat, 28 December 2013 10:53

Also, I'm under the impression that you run it under root user. That is probably not good idea, with application that can read and write files to disk Very Happy

That is certainly something that have to be taken into account for real apps. But on that server it is no big deal, it will be wiped out soon anyway...
Re: New rainbow web backend experiment: javascript terminal to U++ [message #41552 is a reply to message #41550] Sat, 28 December 2013 18:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
(just for info, websockets supports is being developed in uppdev/websockets).
Re: New rainbow web backend experiment: javascript terminal to U++ [message #41553 is a reply to message #41552] Sun, 29 December 2013 17:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Zbych is currently offline  Zbych
mirek wrote on Sat, 28 December 2013 18:45

(just for info, websockets supports is being developed in uppdev/websockets).

Is it going to be just WebSocket server, or maybe you have plans for websocket client as well?
icon14.gif  Re: New rainbow web backend experiment: javascript terminal to U++ [message #41554 is a reply to message #41553] Sun, 29 December 2013 20:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Didier is currently offline  Didier
Contributor
This is very interesting !!

It opens the ability quickly make monitoring applications for embedded systems !
It can come in very handy.

Re: New rainbow web backend experiment: javascript terminal to U++ [message #41559 is a reply to message #41553] Mon, 30 December 2013 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Zbych wrote on Sun, 29 December 2013 11:46

Is it going to be just WebSocket server, or maybe you have plans for websocket client as well?

Right now I believe I have server side working (I am going to move it to Core now and document, provide reference example).

Anyway, protocol seems to be quite symmetric, in fact the only thing required for client is to provide single method 'Call' (while server has 'Handshake').

Mirek
Re: New rainbow web backend experiment: javascript terminal to U++ [message #41570 is a reply to message #41547] Tue, 31 December 2013 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
Sorry. From Firefox (last version) I can watch only a blue screen.

Is it necessary to change the configuration?

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: New rainbow web backend experiment: javascript terminal to U++ [message #41571 is a reply to message #41570] Tue, 31 December 2013 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

koldo wrote on Tue, 31 December 2013 10:33

I see the same from a Chrome browser where it worked previously... Looks like someone closed (or minimized or something) the UWord app, so we only see the "desktop" now Very Happy

Honza
Re: New rainbow web backend experiment: javascript terminal to U++ [message #41572 is a reply to message #41571] Tue, 31 December 2013 16:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
dolik.rce wrote on Tue, 31 December 2013 05:05

koldo wrote on Tue, 31 December 2013 10:33

I see the same from a Chrome browser where it worked previously... Looks like someone closed (or minimized or something) the UWord app, so we only see the "desktop" now Very Happy

Honza

Well, it was just the first attempt. I hope to switch to websockets soon and then try to make more complete demo...

Mirek
Re: New rainbow web backend experiment: javascript terminal to U++ [message #41776 is a reply to message #41572] Sun, 19 January 2014 20:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
After some more work, Turtle (as I have decided to name this Smile is now running using websockets and being capable of handling separate sessions. Try at

www.evencraft.eu:8088

There is a lot of work to be done, but IMO it looks quite promising. I can imagine some applications to this Smile

[Updated on: Sun, 19 January 2014 20:07]

Report message to a moderator

Re: New rainbow web backend experiment: javascript terminal to U++ [message #41777 is a reply to message #41776] Sun, 19 January 2014 22:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
forlano is currently offline  forlano
Senior Contributor
Surprised Simply Fantastic!

I am waiting to use it for my app.
Thank you

Luigi
icon14.gif  Re: New rainbow web backend experiment: javascript terminal to U++ [message #41778 is a reply to message #41777] Sun, 19 January 2014 23:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Didier is currently offline  Didier
Contributor
This is very impressive !

With a correct server, it will be fantastic !!!
Re: New rainbow web backend experiment: javascript terminal to U++ [message #41781 is a reply to message #41776] Mon, 20 January 2014 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
Amazing! Surprised

I do not know what it is under the hood but, it is pretty.

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: New rainbow web backend experiment: javascript terminal to U++ [message #41782 is a reply to message #41776] Mon, 20 January 2014 09:40 Go to previous message
Tom1
Senior Contributor
Thank you Mirek, this is absolutely magnificent! Running remote/embedded systems will be easier and better than ever before.

Best regards,

Tom
Previous Topic: Error dialog API
Next Topic: MT/GuiLock rules changed
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 22:32:52 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00892 seconds