Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Newbie corner » How to install Upp under Ubuntu 12.04 from PPA
How to install Upp under Ubuntu 12.04 from PPA [message #36719] Thu, 28 June 2012 19:12 Go to next message
nlneilson is currently offline  nlneilson
Contributor
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:dolik-rce/upp-nightly

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install upp

Then click on /usr/share/upp/uppsrc/ide/TheIDE to bring up the config box to finish the setup and run.

[Updated on: Thu, 28 June 2012 19:22]

Report message to a moderator

Re: How to install Upp under Ubuntu 12.04 from PPA [message #41636 is a reply to message #36719] Mon, 06 January 2014 21:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ManfredHerr is currently offline  ManfredHerr
What about sudo apt-get install theide ?
Re: How to install Upp under Ubuntu 12.04 from PPA [message #41637 is a reply to message #41636] Mon, 06 January 2014 21:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

ManfredHerr wrote on Mon, 06 January 2014 21:25

What about sudo apt-get install theide ?

What do you mean? This commmand would install TheIDE, and nothing else. That might be what you want, e.g. in case when you use U++ sources from svn. But many people prefer to use U++ sources from the upp package. The upp package depends on theide package, so the command Neil posted above actually installs both TheIDE and U++ sources.

Also, the last step ("click on /usr/share/upp/uppsrc/ide/TheIDE") could be replaced by "find TheIDE in your applications menu" in most desktop environments Smile

Best regards,
Honza
Re: How to install Upp under Ubuntu 12.04 from PPA [message #41645 is a reply to message #41637] Tue, 07 January 2014 16:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ManfredHerr is currently offline  ManfredHerr
If you're interested in my story, here it comes:
The UPP installation I was working with came from UBUNTU Software Center, i.e. the "stable" release. From time to time I experienced crashes of theide and after the third of January, Ctrl + F2 crashed theide reproduceable. So I used the Sofware Centre to uninstall and reinstall UPP. The crash remained. I fetched the debug symbols and spotted the error. I posted a message to the forum for theide, no reply. My next decision was to switch to upp-nightly, made a app-get remove upp added the repository for upp-nightly, made a update and install. The theide comming up after that was the one from the stable release. When asking in the menu for updates available the answer was positive. I got a huge list of modules to change and spent an hour or so to click all to the select option on the right. Finally, Synchronize produced a state that was not usable at all anymore. So I used once more apt-get to remove the UPP package and autoclean. Additionally, I deleted all of the upp sources in my personal space and /usr/share/upp. The same with /usr/bin/theide. Then I tried a new attempt of installation from the upp-nightly repository. The package was downloaded and stored in /usr/share/upp but no theide anymore. Only after 'apt-get install theide' I got my executable back to complete the steps mentioned.
Happy to have a new environment I tried Ctrl+F2 with my app and hey, it worked! But the sad thing was to notice after my first code change, my app didn't compile anymore due to rearrangements in the assemblies. It wasn't this hard to find it. But one question remains: If the "stable" release, that every newcomer tries first, ist obsolete now and moreover is incompatible then why not take it down?
Re: How to install Upp under Ubuntu 12.04 from PPA [message #41648 is a reply to message #41637] Tue, 07 January 2014 18:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nlneilson is currently offline  nlneilson
Contributor
dolik.rce wrote on Mon, 06 January 2014 12:59

Also, the last step ("click on /usr/share/upp/uppsrc/ide/TheIDE") could be replaced by "find TheIDE in your applications menu" in most desktop environments Smile

Very seldom do I ever use the applications menu.
Actually I Right click and put a link on the desktop.

Quote:

But one question remains: If the "stable" release, that every newcomer tries first, ist obsolete now and moreover is incompatible then why not take it down?

Not every newcomer tries the stable release. After some reading in the forum most probably start with the daily builds.
The stable release is just an option with possible glitches or bugs removed.

Any 'bugs' in the daily are usually fixed the day after it is pointed out or sooner as there may be more than one update per day. Excellent work on that.

[Updated on: Tue, 07 January 2014 22:40]

Report message to a moderator

Re: How to install Upp under Ubuntu 12.04 from PPA [message #41656 is a reply to message #41645] Wed, 08 January 2014 08:02 Go to previous message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

ManfredHerr wrote on Tue, 07 January 2014 16:32

But one question remains: If the "stable" release, that every newcomer tries first, ist obsolete now and moreover is incompatible then why not take it down?

See for example this discussion, for some of the reasons why keep the stable releases even if they're buggy. I agree that using stable releases might be troublesome, but using the daily packages brings sometimes problems too. The only difference is that for daily, they're fixed sooner.

Honza
Previous Topic: Help with Lib Wrapper DLL
Next Topic: ctrllib.icpp there was errors
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 12:09:26 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01514 seconds