Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » U++ Core » Core regression between svn 6693 -> 6697
Core regression between svn 6693 -> 6697 [message #41546] Sat, 28 December 2013 11:23 Go to next message
Didier is currently offline  Didier
Contributor
Hi all,

Yesterday I spent most my day trying to find out why the AutoWaitCursor was not working any more.

At first I though it was my code so I dug, and dug and dug again ... without success.
I finally took my most recent app code and moved around Upp SVN versions and I found the following:
==> Events and drawing do not work the exact same way as before
  • WaitCursor does not work any more (the painting of the mouse cursor is done at the end of the action you are actually wainting for ==> so it just appears very briefly while it does not appear when it should (even if the waiting lasts seconds ...)
  • Opening a popup menu of a Ctrl causes refresh of all Ctrls of layout each time the mouse hovers a new selection (without having to select it)
  • Closing of a popup menu is delayed until the action selected by menu is finished (mostly visible when selecting copy action in GraphCtrl for the Big data graph)
  • App taking focus, by selecting top window decoration, not inside app view (switching from explorer to app for example) causes a full repaint ( while it didn't before )

Are these changes normal or is it my application that is not built correctly : like I should use a PostCallback in all Popup menu actions ??

I encountered these problems while working on my GraphCtrl package that is in SVN sandbox.
I have only tested on LINUX (not tested on win32)
The changes have been introduced somewhere between SVN versions : 6693(OK) ==> 6697(BUG)

[Updated on: Sat, 28 December 2013 12:00]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Core regression between svn 6693 -> 6697 [message #41563 is a reply to message #41546] Mon, 30 December 2013 18:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Klugier is currently offline  Klugier
Senior Contributor
Hello Dider,

This things what you are writing about can be caused by new gtk backend (Now, enable by default).

Try to compile with X11 flag.

YourPackage.upp:
mainconfig
	"" = "GUI MT SSE2 X11";

Sincerely,
Klugier

U++ - one framework to rule them all.
Re: Core regression between svn 6693 -> 6697 [message #41564 is a reply to message #41563] Mon, 30 December 2013 18:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor
Hi Klugier,

I was aware of the recent changes and though the problem was coming from these changes.
But I think it is important to have consistent behavior between platforms everywhere it is possible :
Before these recent changes, WIN and Linux behave the same, it probably isn't the case anymore ...
I think this is quite an important issue ( although WaitCursor is not of prior importance ) but there are probably other differences not spotted yet ( and that may be important ).
These "differences" may cause some serious problems to existing applications that are still in development and that may get recompiled without the X11 flag

With X11, I recover the original behavior but I have to admit that raw drawing performance is much higher with GTK backend rather than with X11

[Updated on: Mon, 30 December 2013 18:34]

Re: Core regression between svn 6693 -> 6697 [message #41573 is a reply to message #41564] Tue, 31 December 2013 16:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Sorry for inconvience, will fix these ASAP (of course, patches are welcome).

Anyway, apart from WaitCursor, it appears to me that some of problems are just excesive repainting, which is not really a bug... It is also possible that these are caused by GTK itself, so in that case there would be no solution to that...
Re: Core regression between svn 6693 -> 6697 [message #41585 is a reply to message #41573] Wed, 01 January 2014 20:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor
Hi Mirek,

Quote:

it appears to me that some of problems are just excesive repainting, which is not really a bug...It is also possible that these are caused by GTK itself, so in that case there would be no solution to that...

Well, if there is no correction to this, this will definitely have an impact on general Ctrl::Paint() method design in order to make them the fastest possible ( mostly impacting heavy controls ).

NB: I would be glad propose a patch for the WaitCursor() issue but I don't have sufficient knowledge about internals ( but as far as I have seen for the moment, the Paint() method is called at a different moment ... and this call seems to originate from a Gtk method ... )

Quote:

Sorry for inconvience, will fix these ASAP

No inconvenience at all, this is normal work Wink

[Updated on: Wed, 01 January 2014 20:50]

Re: Core regression between svn 6693 -> 6697 [message #41632 is a reply to message #41585] Mon, 06 January 2014 18:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
WaitCursor issue should be now fixed. Please check.
Re: Core regression between svn 6693 -> 6697 [message #41638 is a reply to message #41632] Mon, 06 January 2014 22:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor
Hi Mirek,

Correction works fine, thank's.

There is another bug that is more annoying which I noticed two days ago : it concerns the Ctrl::CursorImage() method.

Previously, when pressing/releasing a key, CursorImage() got called, which enabled to modify the cursor on Key press/release.

Now, it still get's called, but with the key configuration before the Key was pressed ... giving the opposite behavior than the one expected ...

Re: Core regression between svn 6693 -> 6697 [message #41639 is a reply to message #41638] Mon, 06 January 2014 23:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor
Hi again,

After further verifications the simple WaitCursor() call works fine but there seems to be some other issue concerning this point I previously pointed out:
Quote:

Closing of a popup menu is delayed until the action selected by menu is finished (mostly visible when selecting copy action in GraphCtrl for the Big data graph)

I tried these three different codes to try to fallback in a 'simple WaitCursor()' case :
	bar.Add( t_("Copy"), GraphCtrlImg::COPY(),  THISBACK1(SaveToClipboard, false));
	bar.Add( t_("Copy_post"), GraphCtrlImg::COPY(), THISBACK2(PostCallback, THISBACK1(SaveToClipboard, false), 0));
	bar.Add( t_("Copy_100ms"), GraphCtrlImg::COPY(), THISBACK3(SetTimeCallback, 100, THISBACK1(SaveToClipboard, false), 0));false));

'Copy' : works but menu stays displayed until copy is finished (can be quite long)
'Copy_post' : menu disappears immediately after pressing button BUT .... the copying action starts only after I press the mouse button somewhere in the application : it will last indefinitely if I don't press the button !!!!
'Copy_100ms': Same as 'Copy_post'

The two later cases are very strange, especially if you consider that I already use 'SetTimeCallback()' without any problems
Re: Core regression between svn 6693 -> 6697 [message #41671 is a reply to message #41639] Wed, 08 January 2014 20:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
I have fixed 'simple' menu situation (in fact, it was only late repaint issue), but I suspect the PostCallback issues are sort of connected with SaveToClipboard function. Would you care preparing a simple testcase?

Mirek
Re: Core regression between svn 6693 -> 6697 [message #41672 is a reply to message #41671] Thu, 09 January 2014 00:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor
Hi Mirek,

I confirm that the 'simple menu' issue is now corrected.

For the two other cases, while trying to make a test case I realized that the problem was not the one I thought: in fact two problems occur :
* One (GTK) CtrlCore problem : WaitCursor does not get displayed when I generate the image for the Clipboard
* One application problem : an extra FULL Ctrl::paint occurs after calling [Menu/Copy] causing the display of the WaitCursor ==> the one launched when mouse clicking on the application

The remaining WaitCursor problem is not very nasty. I think the CursorImage() issue described in a previous post is worse (but probably simple to correct)
Re: Core regression between svn 6693 -> 6697 [message #41675 is a reply to message #41672] Thu, 09 January 2014 20:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
I have found an issue which seems to affect CursorImage, but only just after a new window is opened, so I doubt that this is the problem you cite.

Otherwise, my current testcase is

#include <CtrlLib/CtrlLib.h>

using namespace Upp;

struct Test : TopWindow {
	virtual void LeftDown(Point p, dword keyflags) {
		WaitCursor h;
		Sleep(2000);
	}

bool flag;

virtual bool Key(dword key, int)
	{
		if(key == K_CTRL_KEY)
			flag = true;
		if(key == (K_CTRL_KEY|K_KEYUP))
			flag = false;
		Refresh();
		return false;
	}

virtual Image CursorImage(Point p, dword keyflags)
	{
		LOG("CursorImage " << flag);
		return flag ? Image::Hand() : Image::Arrow();
	}

void Action()
	{
		LOG("Action " << msecs());
		ProcessEvents();
		Sleep(2000);
		LOG("Action end " << msecs());
	}

virtual void RightDown(Point p, dword keyflags) {
		MenuBar bar;
		bar.Add("Test", THISBACK(Action));
		bar.Execute();
	}

typedef Test CLASSNAME;

Test() {
		flag = false;
	}
};

GUI_APP_MAIN
{
	Test().Run();
}

and I do not seem to see any problems there...

Mirek
Re: Core regression between svn 6693 -> 6697 [message #41676 is a reply to message #41675] Thu, 09 January 2014 23:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor
Hi,

I wasn't precise enough, if you modify CursorImage() a little bit:

{
		LOG("CursorImage " << flag  <<  "     keyflags="<<keyflags);   //******* MODIFIED LINE ********
		return ((keyflags & K_CTRL) !=0) ? Image::Hand() : Image::Arrow();     //******* MODIFIED LINE ********
	}

I get the following logs by just pressing/unpressing CTRL key and NOT MOVING the mouse ==> the icon is inverted from what I expect !
Quote:

CursorImage false keyflags=0
CursorImage true keyflags=0 ************** 1rst PRESS ==> INVERSION POINT ********************
CursorImage true keyflags=0
CursorImage true keyflags=0 Stays inverted until mouse is moved
CursorImage false keyflags=131072

For the other problem, just modify the 'Action()' method:
	void Action()
	{
		ProcessEvents();
		WaitCursor h;      // ********* ADDED LINE ***********
		Sleep(2000);
	}

The logs show that everything works fine:
Quote:

Action 11095902
Action end 11097903

But the WaitCursor does not show, maybe this is a bad usage case ??

[Updated on: Thu, 09 January 2014 23:17]

Re: Core regression between svn 6693 -> 6697 [message #41697 is a reply to message #41676] Sat, 11 January 2014 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Didier wrote on Thu, 09 January 2014 17:15

Hi,

I wasn't precise enough, if you modify CursorImage() a little bit:

{
		LOG("CursorImage " << flag  <<  "     keyflags="<<keyflags);   //******* MODIFIED LINE ********
		return ((keyflags & K_CTRL) !=0) ? Image::Hand() : Image::Arrow();     //******* MODIFIED LINE ********
	}

Well, that is why always welcome a testcase, otherwise you often end up chasing different issue...

Anyway, this one should be now fixed.

Mirek
Re: Core regression between svn 6693 -> 6697 [message #41698 is a reply to message #41697] Sat, 11 January 2014 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor
Well I just didn't have time to finish the test case, an you made one before I had time to post one.

Sorry for the waist of time
Re: Core regression between svn 6693 -> 6697 [message #41700 is a reply to message #41676] Sat, 11 January 2014 16:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Didier wrote on Thu, 09 January 2014 17:15

For the other problem, just modify the 'Action()' method:
	void Action()
	{
		ProcessEvents();
		WaitCursor h;      // ********* ADDED LINE ***********
		Sleep(2000);
	}

The logs show that everything works fine:
Quote:

Action 11095902
Action end 11097903

But the WaitCursor does not show, maybe this is a bad usage case ??

Should be now fixed as well...

Anything else to fix? Smile

Mirek
icon14.gif  Re: Core regression between svn 6693 -> 6697 [message #41701 is a reply to message #41700] Sat, 11 January 2014 22:50 Go to previous message
Contributor
Hi Mirek,

Well all seems fine now, I still have an issue with the WaitCursor in my app, but it probably is an app problem, but if I add a PostCallback() it works: so no big issue.

Thank's for the quick corrections Cool

Next time if I find some bugs, I will first make a test case and then talk about it Rolling Eyes
Previous Topic: 6715 nightly build
Next Topic: Callback (THISBACK) Improve
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 16:38:11 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01267 seconds