Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » U++ community news and announcements » Question about copyright
Question about copyright [message #41718] Tue, 14 January 2014 09:11 Go to next message
slashupp is currently offline  slashupp
Experienced Member
(I don't know where else to put this question)

I'm modifying a copy of the source for RichEdit and found a file called "Copying" containing the following:

Quote:

Copyright 1998-2008 The U++ Project. All rights reserved.

Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification, are permitted
provided that the following conditions are met:

1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list of
conditions and the following disclaimer.

2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of
conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials
provided with the distribution.

Does this mean that I whatever I create with my modification of RichEdit will automatically belong to "The U++ Project"?
If so then I find it difficult to accept .. IMO the sources and examples distributed with theide should be restriction-free, and this copying notice should be removed.

[edit] Just noticed in the disclaimer ...
Quote:

... IN NO EVENT SHALL THE FREEBSD PROJECT OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE ...

[Updated on: Tue, 14 January 2014 10:34]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Question about copyright [message #41720 is a reply to message #41718] Tue, 14 January 2014 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
Hello slashupp

I think you can use and modify the U++ source or binaries freely with no royalties or fees. However you have to include always the copyright notice.

About the disclaimer I think you are right. We probably should change "THE FREEBSD PROJECT" with "THE COPYRIGHT HOLDER" following the BSD 2 clause license:

Copyright (c) 1998, 2014, The U++ Project
All rights reserved.

Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:

1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.

2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.

THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT HOLDER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Question about copyright [message #41723 is a reply to message #41720] Tue, 14 January 2014 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
My problem is not about "royalties or fees", it is about ownership of the work I have done.

The copying-notice appears in all unavoidable sources (code that _has_ to be used to develop anything using Upp)
and as this notice currently stands, it has the effect that anything I develop that has "using Upp" or uses "Upp::" will
belong to "The U++ Project" - source or binary, modified or not.
(And FreeBSD has no liability Wink )

[Updated on: Tue, 14 January 2014 12:00]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Question about copyright [message #41725 is a reply to message #41723] Tue, 14 January 2014 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Veteran
Hello slashup

I think the U++ license states that U++ is the author and that you can use it freely. This means that you can sell TheIDE for 6000€ to anybody. However you should always include the U++ license.

A more complex area is when you modify files. In that case some people does this:

They have three different files:
- 3rd party files: They include the copyright holder license
- Own files: They include their license
- Modified 3rd party files: They reduce the changes to the minimum, include the copyright holder license and a final sentence like: "Modified for XXX (their) project"

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Question about copyright [message #41726 is a reply to message #41725] Tue, 14 January 2014 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
My understanding now is that this copying notice, and the U++ license only apply if I create a clone of U++.

Any other software I develop using U++ is entirely free of any license or copying notice, even if I modify internal U++ sources to achieve the functionality I want.

The sole exclusion is in using of licensed third-party libraries, but of this neither of us have any choice.
Re: Question about copyright [message #41727 is a reply to message #41726] Tue, 14 January 2014 15:59 Go to previous message
Senior Veteran
Hello slashupp

In summary you can do whatever you want with the code and you are only forced to include the copyright notice for U++ and all the free source used by it. You can get it all here.

For a better explanation you can go to the OSI web page here for the license and here for the FAQ.

Best regards
Iñaki
Previous Topic: Hapy new year 2014
Next Topic: NOI18N flag
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 17:34:32 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02597 seconds