Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » U++ Developers corner » Skylark: Should escape character '$' be replaced to avoid name clash with Jquery?
Skylark: Should escape character '$' be replaced to avoid name clash with Jquery? [message #43059] Mon, 28 April 2014 14:30 Go to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member

Skylark/WITH escape char[ 4 votes ]
1. Yes 3 / 75%
2. No 1 / 25%

Hi,

when designing witz templates, I have made a mistake, seduced by similiarity with Shell/PHP, I have used '$' as designation of code sections.

This has unfortunate consequence in name clash with Jquery.

Perhaps, in this still early stage of Skylark maturing, we could change this and use e.g. '@' instead. I would made support for '#' as option so that older code does not need to be fixed immediately.

What is your opinion?

Mirek

[Updated on: Mon, 28 April 2014 14:34]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Skylark: Should escape character '$' be replaced to avoid name clash with Jquery? [message #43060 is a reply to message #43059] Mon, 28 April 2014 16:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

Hi Mirek,

I'm using $ and I like it Smile There is 352 dollar signs in Watchdog and none of them needed to be escaped. However, I don't use (and don't like Smile ) jquery. I understand that others might be in different situation.

The # and @ characters can have their own problems - # is used in CSS, and at can be present in javascript code handling emails or tweets... It would probably be less problematic than jquery, but still possibly problematic.

I'd like to suggest to make it configurable, it should be pretty easy. Skylark can be used to do much more than serving html web pages. Having the code designation configurable would make it possible for the programmer to choose what fits his scenario best.

Best regards,
Honza
Re: Skylark: Should escape character '$' be replaced to avoid name clash with Jquery? [message #43063 is a reply to message #43060] Mon, 28 April 2014 20:56 Go to previous message
Zbych is currently offline  Zbych
dolik.rce wrote on Mon, 28 April 2014 16:27
I'd like to suggest to make it configurable, it should be pretty easy.

I agree with Honza. If it is not a problem, please make it configurable.

Previous Topic: Pop3 class and reference examples for U++
Next Topic: Helper function to help dealing with GUI thread related issues
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:08:22 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01900 seconds