Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » PR, media coverage, articles and documentation » U++ in Linux repos
U++ in Linux repos [message #34693] Tue, 06 December 2011 17:18 Go to next message
lectus is currently offline  lectus
I was thinking about U++ popularity and one thing I noticed is that no linux distribution distributes U++ packages.

So, it might be one thing that could make U++ more popular: to have U++ packages at official repos. Not just Ubuntu PPAs and packages here.

The newbie at linux will hardly try to get a package from a website, instead he'll always use apt-get/yum/whatever. Let alone try to build U++ from sources.

Think about it. Wink
Re: U++ in Linux repos [message #34696 is a reply to message #34693] Tue, 06 December 2011 18:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

Hi Lectus,

This idea was here before Smile It is actually still in progress, even though the advances are very slow... I don't have much time lately Confused

I guess it won't hurt to report here and what is the state of things Smile

Concerning .debs: The packaging in its current form stands no chance to get into the repository. The Debian/Ubuntu packaging standard is pretty complex thing (and I learned a lot just by reading it Smile ). Also lately I learned a lot by packaging a lot of software at work. So with this new knowledge I want to improve the packaging to fulfill the standard and then try to push it into Debian, which would then propagate the package automatically to Ubuntu and other derivatives.

I also maintain PKGBUILDs for Arch Linux. The situation there is not that important, as Arch Linux is aimed at experienced users, and building the package from AUR (Arch User Repository) is quite simple. Anyway, the packages from AUR can be promoted to community repository (so they become binary packages and don't have to be compiled from sources anymore). The promotion is usually considered when the enough user votes for the package in question. Right now, theide package has 5 votes, the usual threshold is 10, so we are half way there Smile

Best regards,
Honza
Re: U++ in Linux repos [message #42400 is a reply to message #34696] Tue, 11 March 2014 15:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jibe is currently offline  jibe
Experienced Member
Hi,

I'm just reading this by chance... How is the situation now ?

About Arch Linux, maybe you could give some details (especially a link) on how to vote : I don't use it often and will not search about that, but as I use sometimes, I could vote Wink

And what about rpm based distros derivated from Red Hat (like CentOS, Scientific Linux, Fedora...) ? I'm using more and more Scientific Linux, and probably I'll soon install UPP on it.
Re: U++ in Linux repos [message #42402 is a reply to message #42400] Tue, 11 March 2014 19:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

Hi jibe,

jibe wrote on Tue, 11 March 2014 15:24

I'm just reading this by chance... How is the situation now ?
Right now the best packages can be probably those made in OBS (search forum to learn more). The ones in 'nightly' project are updated several times a month. Repositories are available for various versions of ubuntu and debian, archlinux and experimentally also opensuse.

About Arch Linux, maybe you could give some details (especially a link) on how to vote : I don't use it often and will not search about that, but as I use sometimes, I could vote Wink

List of the packages is here: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/?K=U%2B%2B. If you are logged in and click on any of the packages, you will see a link to vote in 'Package actions' box on the right side of the packages page.

And what about rpm based distros derivated from Red Hat (like CentOS, Scientific Linux, Fedora...) ? I'm using more and more Scientific Linux, and probably I'll soon install UPP on it.
As I mentioned above, there are RPMs for opensuse, but they're very experimental Smile I don't (and never did) use any rpm-based distro, so I don't really know what goes where. I could quite easily arrange for the same experimental rpms to be built also for centos, fedora, red hat and/or mandriva (pehaps some other, I don't remember right now). Scientific Linux is heavily based on redhat, so it might work there as well. But without testers and feedback, I can't really move out of the experimental state, for any of those distros. If you want to help, you're more than welcomed Wink

Best regards,
Honza
Re: U++ in Linux repos [message #42405 is a reply to message #42402] Wed, 12 March 2014 00:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
dolik.rce wrote on Tue, 11 March 2014 19:41

Scientific Linux is heavily based on redhat, so it might work there as well.

Normally, all that works on CentOS works also on SL. I think that a rpm done for Red Hat will work as well for CentOS and SL, probably also for Fedora. I don't know about Mandriva/Mageia.

dolik.rce wrote on Tue, 11 March 2014 19:41

If you want to help, you're more than welcomed Wink

I'm seriously lacking time for now, but maybe in one or two months I could help you to make rpms and/or test.

I'll contact you later about that.
Re: U++ in Linux repos [message #42559 is a reply to message #42405] Mon, 24 March 2014 21:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

Hi everyone,

As of today, there are beta-version quality rpm packages of U++, theide and umk for Scientific Linux 6 and also for Fedora 20. Anyone interested in trying them can find them on OBS:
Scientific Linux 6
Fedora 20
It should be possible to add this repository to your system to get automatic updates, by don't ask me how, I never used any of those distros Wink

Any feed back is more than welcomed. As I said, I don't use or know those distributions, so testing by someone who does could make a big difference.

For a full list of currently built supported distributions, see this page on OBS.

Best regards,
Honza
Re: U++ in Linux repos [message #42918 is a reply to message #34693] Mon, 14 April 2014 15:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
Hi,

(nice new forum ! Congratulations and thanks to to all those who worked there ! Smile )

I'm back earlier than expected ! Unfortunately, it's because I have something strange happening, about what I'll investigate more and for that, make some tests on various versions, so probably try to install U++ on Scientific Linux.

For now, I have some questions (sorry, I just ask not to waste my time if someone has the answer, but I didn't investigated yet... Some questions may simply result from a lack of research or thinking Embarassed )

1 - I just recompiled one of my applications with version 7051, without changing anything. It's now freezing and the log shows a heap leak, when it was working well last time I compiled it. I don't know with what UPP version it was, I can only say that it was last March, 2013. Did somebody had a similar problem or knows what could happen ?

2 - The Ubuntu repository has 7051 as last version, when the Nightly Builds tar.gz page gives 7222 (Scientific Linux rpm is also 7222M). Is it normal ?

3 - I'm using Nightly builds (with dolik's Ubuntu repository) for a long time, and I see that the stable version is 5485, November 2012 ! Is it normal ? I think that there had been a lot of interresting and good changes since this time, that could have been added in the stable version !

Well, I think that my first test will be to install UPP on Scientific Linux and see if I have the same problem with the most recent version... This will be the opportunity to test this rpm !

[Updated on: Mon, 14 April 2014 15:10]

Report message to a moderator

Re: U++ in Linux repos [message #42923 is a reply to message #42918] Mon, 14 April 2014 17:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

Hi jibe,

jibe wrote on Mon, 14 April 2014 15:09
1 - I just recompiled one of my applications with version 7051, without changing anything. It's now freezing and the log shows a heap leak, when it was working well last time I compiled it. I don't know with what UPP version it was, I can only say that it was last March, 2013. Did somebody had a similar problem or knows what could happen ?
Have you tried "Rebuild all" (Bomb icon in theide)? When mixing object files from various versions of U++ weird things can happen. Another reason might be that some libraries on your system were upgraded in the meantime and the newer version causes trouble. But that is not very likely to cause heap leaks...

2 - The Ubuntu repository has 7051 as last version, when the Nightly Builds tar.gz page gives 7222 (Scientific Linux rpm is also 7222M). Is it normal ?
That is not normal. Something probably broke in the scripts that upload the packages. I'll have a look at it. You can alternatively use ubuntu packages from OBS...

3 - I'm using Nightly builds (with dolik's Ubuntu repository) for a long time, and I see that the stable version is 5485, November 2012 ! Is it normal ? I think that there had been a lot of interresting and good changes since this time, that could have been added in the stable version !
Yes, that is normal. The last "stable release" was 5485. No one is really using those, I guess Smile As it was already described somewhere on the forum, the nightly versions are usually much more stable than the releases...

Well, I think that my first test will be to install UPP on Scientific Linux and see if I have the same problem with the most recent version... This will be the opportunity to test this rpm !

Ok, let me know how it works. You'll be probably the first one to try Smile

Honza
Re: U++ in Linux repos [message #42938 is a reply to message #42923] Tue, 15 April 2014 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
Hi Honza,

Thanks for your answer Smile

dolik.rce wrote on Mon, 14 April 2014 17:46
Have you tried "Rebuild all" (Bomb icon in theide)?

Yes, I forgot to say, but I effectively do that each time I update UPP.

Another reason might be that some libraries on your system were upgraded in the meantime and the newer version causes trouble.

Do you mean some libraries external to UPP ? Yes, there are surely several. If so, this would mean that I had a latent bug that appears now ? I'll investigate this way... But in this case, it's weird that the old application, compiled in March 2013, is working well on my updated system...

Yes, that is normal. The last "stable release" was 5485. No one is really using those, I guess Smile As it was already described somewhere on the forum, the nightly versions are usually much more stable than the releases...

Laughing Ok, so I must not be afraid to take risks not using the "stable" version !

Maybe you shoud remove this old "stable" version : it is not so good that new people coming to UPP see and could use this old version Wink

(about Scientific Linux) Ok, let me know how it works. You'll be probably the first one to try Smile

Yes, I'll let you know ASAP, but it will take some more time than expected : I never had time to synchronize my SL with my Ubuntu (I'm using owncloud, and I have problems with the different versions of Mozilla softs), and I'm still mainly using Ubuntu. I'll take this opportunity to make this well first and be able to do anything with either the one or the other...
Re: U++ in Linux repos [message #42946 is a reply to message #34693] Tue, 15 April 2014 15:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
Back to the subject...

I tried to install UPP on Scientific Linux, but there is no theide in your repo !

I could try to use Fedora's rpm or the tarball version, but probably you will prefer that I test the installation from your repo ? So, I'll just wait that you add theide in it.
Re: U++ in Linux repos [message #42947 is a reply to message #42946] Tue, 15 April 2014 17:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

jibe wrote on Tue, 15 April 2014 15:54
Back to the subject...

I tried to install UPP on Scientific Linux, but there is no theide in your repo !

I could try to use Fedora's rpm or the tarball version, but probably you will prefer that I test the installation from your repo ? So, I'll just wait that you add theide in it.

Fixed now. It was the weirdest misconfiguration in OBS. All the monitoring screens were showing the package as built and published correctly, while publishing was disabled the whole time Smile

Sorry for delay,
Honza
Re: U++ in Linux repos [message #42965 is a reply to message #34693] Thu, 17 April 2014 22:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
Hi, Honza,

dolik.rce wrote on Tue, 15 April 2014 17:16
Sorry for delay

Don't be sorry ! As you see, I'm also very long... Embarassed

Installation on Scientific Linux and first run OK, but :
1 - There is no version number, neither in the "about" box nor in the box shown when you check updates (Setup->Check for updates).
2 - GCC.bm is missing (neither in the /home/user/.upp folder nor in the /usr/share/upp). I'll try to see tomorrow if I can adapt Ubuntu's one...

<edit>I forgot about SL : theide is not in the gnome menu.</Edit>

On Ubuntu, I have now the right version proposed for update. I'll try it tomorrow.

Thanks for your work, and sorry to be a so slow tester.

[Updated on: Fri, 18 April 2014 09:03]

Re: U++ in Linux repos [message #43267 is a reply to message #34693] Fri, 20 June 2014 16:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
Hi,

I'm back after some time away...

I tested UPP on :
- Scientific Linux 6 - 32 bits
- Scientific Linux 6 - 64 bits
- CentOS 6 - 32 bits

For the 3 of them, I did :
- Download http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/dolik_rce:/n ightly/ScientificLinux_6_standard/home:dolik_rce:nightly.rep o
- Move it in /etc/yum.repos.d
- Install the following packages :
--- theide
--- theide-debug
--- umk
--- upp-devel
- At this time, yum is asking for some supplementary packages to solve the dependencies. Confirm their installation.
- try it !

As I said before, I had some problems, the same with the 3 distros :
- No "Theide" in gnome's menu. For now, I have to create it by hand or launch it from the terminal.
- The version number is not shown when checking for updates or showing the about box
- GCC.bm is missing. I copied it from my Linux Mint, but be carefull : it's 32/64 bits dependant ! Choose the right one, or change the paths inside.

On each, I tried at least (several more on SL 32) to compile the sample "Animated Hello". It's working well Smile

Thanks dolik.rce !

I'll probably test it on Mageia. I'll let you know.

[Updated on: Fri, 20 June 2014 16:04]

Re: U++ in Linux repos [message #43268 is a reply to message #43267] Fri, 20 June 2014 17:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

Hi jibe,

Thanks for testing!

jibe wrote on Fri, 20 June 2014 16:03
As I said before, I had some problems, the same with the 3 distros :
- No "Theide" in gnome's menu. For now, I have to create it by hand or launch it from the terminal.
- The version number is not shown when checking for updates or showing the about box
- GCC.bm is missing. I copied it from my Linux Mint, but be carefull : it's 32/64 bits dependant ! Choose the right one, or change the paths inside.

I'll try to fix those... It's the little stuff I didn't really cared about when creating the package, as I didn't know if it is going to work at all Smile

Honza
Re: U++ in Linux repos [message #43276 is a reply to message #34693] Sat, 21 June 2014 21:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

Hi jibe,

Can you try now? I tried to fix the problems, but as I don't run any rpm-based distro, I can't really test it - and I'm to lazy to install one right now Very Happy The packages are ready in the OBS repositories, waiting for you Wink

Let me know if something still doesn't work as supposed or if you find something else that needs to be tweaked...

Honza
Re: U++ in Linux repos [message #43284 is a reply to message #34693] Mon, 23 June 2014 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
Hi Honza,

Thanks a lot ! Smile

I'll try asap, but a little busy... I'll let you know, I hope during this week (but cannot promise...).
Re: U++ in Linux repos [message #43286 is a reply to message #34693] Mon, 23 June 2014 14:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
Back again : I noticed some differences when compiling one of my applications under Linux Mint and Scientific Linux and wanted to check that better with the very last version. So, I decided to uninstall UPP from my SL 32 bits, and reinstall the new version.

But I have a new problem now : I cannot install theide/upp anymore ! It complains that gtk2-tools is missing, but :
- There is no such package in SL repos neither in rpm-forge or epel,
- Gimp and gtk2 packages are already installed and IMHO should provide all that theide/upp need.
- When I installed last week, I didn't had this problem, and I don't think that anything around gtk has been automatically installed as needed dependancy.

gtk2-tools is needed by theide package. Some problem with the declared dependencies in it's rpm ?

AFAIK gtk2-tools seems more related to open-suse than to red-hat based distros...
Re: U++ in Linux repos [message #43287 is a reply to message #43286] Mon, 23 June 2014 16:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

Oops, this is exactly why I need your help with testing Smile I added the dependency because of gtk-update-icon-cache, which is used in the rpm. The problem is, that it is in gtk2 package in SL and other redhat-based distros, but in SUSE-like distros it is in separate package gtk2-tools. I'll try to fix this ASAP.

Honza
Re: U++ in Linux repos [message #43296 is a reply to message #34693] Wed, 25 June 2014 06:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

Hi jibe!

Can you try it now? I'm sorry the fix took so long, but there was also an error in theide sources so I couldn't start building the packages until yesterday...

Honza
Re: U++ in Linux repos [message #43297 is a reply to message #34693] Wed, 25 June 2014 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Experienced Member
Hi Honza,

Install and compil of "Animated hello" ok on SL 32bits.

Theide is present in the menu, and GCC.bm well installed now. Smile

But there is still no version number displayed (screen shot joined).

I'm quite busy today, I'll have some more tests tomorrow (other distribs and compils...), but the main part is alredy good.
Previous Topic: Russian article about U++
Next Topic: Github / Bitbucket Mirror
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:16:46 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01600 seconds