Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » PR, media coverage, articles and documentation » U++ in Linux repos
Re: U++ in Linux repos [message #43299 is a reply to message #34693] Thu, 26 June 2014 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jibe is currently offline  jibe
Experienced Member
Hi Honza,

I tested on CentOS 6 32 bits : working well, just the missing version number as in SL.

On SL 64 bits : Install Ok, but impossible to compile because of a lot of files not found. The reason is in your GCC.bm : on 64 bits versions, you must use /usr/lib64 instead of /usr/lib (/usr/lib is existing, but used only with 32 bits softwares).

I saw also that /usr/X11R6 is mentionned in GCC.bm. This seems to have no importance to compile "Animated Hello" example, but could be a problem with others applications as this folder doesn't exists on CentOS or SL. I don't know for others rpm-based distros.

I'll now try to compile some of my applications on SL 32 bits. I'll let you know if it's Ok or not.

I can continue testing (not promizing to be always fast !) what you want on SL or CentOS. I thought that I could also easily test on Mageia, but unfortunately it's no more working and I should reinstall it. As I don't really need it, I'll reinstall only if you need some tests on it. The same for others rpm-based distros (Fedora, open-suse...).

For next tests, please tell me if I must first uninstall including all config files and re-install (what I did until now) or if I can just make an update (not a problem for me, just to know... and not do useless things Wink )
Re: U++ in Linux repos [message #43301 is a reply to message #34693] Thu, 26 June 2014 18:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
I recompiled several of my own applications on SL 32. Almost all of them seem to work well.

Only one has a problem, the one I already mentioned 2 months ago. As it's not linked to the distro (not working also on Mint Maya), I opened a new topic for that.

So to summarize, it seems to remain only two small problems:
  1. The version number is not displayed in theide
  2. GCC.bm file is not good for 64 bits SL and CentOS.
(see my previous posts for details)
Re: U++ in Linux repos [message #43302 is a reply to message #43301] Thu, 26 June 2014 19:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

jibe wrote on Thu, 26 June 2014 18:56
The version number is not displayed in theide

I did some more tweaking. Right now, with the most recent version (7469-2) from the SL repository, I can see the version string in theide binary when I extract it from the rpm. Can you try to install that version and look at the about box please? No need to remove the configuration files, just upgrade the package. The version should be "7469-ScientificLinux_6_standard-x86_64". I know it's bit long, but I just used the easy way to figure out what distro are we compiling for.

Also, there is should now be correctly set macro IDE_VERSION (to the same value) in ide/version.h, if you have the upp-devel package installed.

jibe wrote on Thu, 26 June 2014 18:56
GCC.bm file is not good for 64 bits SL and CentOS.

Can you send me your working version? It would make things much simpler for me, if I don't have to gather all the information about SL6 filesystem from the internet Smile

Quote:
I saw also that /usr/X11R6 is mentionned in GCC.bm. This seems to have no importance to compile "Animated Hello" example, but could be a problem with others applications as this folder doesn't exists on CentOS or SL.

Having non-existent directory in build-method is not a problem. They are simply ignored.

Again, thanks a lot for your feedback!

Honza
Re: U++ in Linux repos [message #43303 is a reply to message #43302] Thu, 26 June 2014 22:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
dolik.rce wrote on Thu, 26 June 2014 19:31
Can you try to install that version and look at the about box please?

Yes ! Perfect Very Happy
I attached the images.

Can you send me your working version? It would make things much simpler for me, if I don't have to gather all the information about SL6 filesystem from the internet Smile

Ooops ! Sorry, I should have thought about that... In fact, I just changed lib to lib64 and removed all concerning X11R6. File attached.

Having non-existent directory in build-method is not a problem. They are simply ignored.

Yes. I was afraid that it could cause "file not found" errors, but in fact all we need is in the others paths : all the tests of my last post were made on SL 32, with your GCC.bm unchanged.

thanks a lot for your feedback!

You are welcome! Free software deserves to be involved a little! Smile

Now, we have just to hope that the CERN and Fermilab will use UPP !

By the way, you could ask them to put it in SL repos. I should not surprised that they accept : they are scientists, and have a very different approach of Linux than Mark Shuttleworth Wink
  • Attachment: files.tar.gz
    (Size: 182.98KB, Downloaded 272 times)
Re: U++ in Linux repos [message #43313 is a reply to message #43303] Sun, 29 June 2014 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

Hi jibe,

I have updated the GCC.bm to contain your changes. It should now work on both architectures.

I don't think this is the right solution in the long term. The file should be generated on the target machine in postinstall hook, or something like that. I'll try to figure that out when I have some more time Smile For now, it should be usable.

I'm glad we could make it work, it's been a great cooperation, thanks Wink

Best regards,
Honza
Re: U++ in Linux repos [message #43325 is a reply to message #34693] Mon, 30 June 2014 18:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
Hi Honza,

Yes, it should be usable this way. What is done for GCC.bm in the .deb versions ? I guess that it will be the same, or just few differences due to the differences between deb and rpm packages ?

It's late now, but I'll try to make a fresh install on 32 and 64 bits tomorrow or some next day to be sure. I'll let you know the result.

For now, thank you for this great job ! Smile

Re: U++ in Linux repos [message #43329 is a reply to message #43325] Mon, 30 June 2014 21:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

jibe wrote on Mon, 30 June 2014 18:49
What is done for GCC.bm in the .deb versions ? I guess that it will be the same, or just few differences due to the differences between deb and rpm packages ?

The debian package uses the original file from the nightly tarball. It actually contains a 'template' file, GCC.bm.in, which is processed on the system where the package is built. The scripts attempt to figure out correct paths to use. In future, I'd like to use something like that on all systems, but it will have to be a bit more robust.

Honza
Re: U++ in Linux repos [message #43336 is a reply to message #34693] Tue, 01 July 2014 12:43 Go to previous message
Experienced Member
Hi Honza,

Ok. But for now, the way you did seems usable : I completely uninstalled and re-installed on CentOS 32 bits and Scientific Linux 65 bits, and it works well on both. I compiled successfully Control4U_demo and only noticed this problem, but it appears also in Linux Mint. As all other things are Ok, it's surely a problem in bazaar, not with your rpm.
Previous Topic: Russian article about U++
Next Topic: Github / Bitbucket Mirror
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 21:19:53 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.05070 seconds