Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ TheIDE » U++ TheIDE: Installation, Compiling and Running of theide » Easier linux download for new users
Easier linux download for new users [message #43519] Sat, 16 August 2014 10:44 Go to next message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
Hello Honza

Now a new user that wants to install U++ in Linux would go to Download page. Following that link s/he will go to different Launchpad pages with many options depending on Ubuntu version, architecture and finally a list of debs with:
- theide-dbg_7590-1~trusty0_amd64.deb (20.2 MiB)
- theide-nogtk-dbg_7590-1~trusty0_amd64.deb (20.2 MiB)
- theide-nogtk_7590-1~trusty0_amd64.deb (3.9 MiB)
- theide_7590-1~trusty0_amd64.deb (3.9 MiB)
- umk-dbg_7590-1~trusty0_amd64.deb (2.4 MiB)
- umk_7590-1~trusty0_amd64.deb (406.3 KiB)

It would be great if we could set an easier way to link from U++ download page directly to a single .deb that works.

In my case I have installed a new Xubuntu 14.04 trusty, and after installing the deb I had many compiling problems solved after installing:
- zlib1g-dev
- libnotify-dev
- libbz2-dev
- libgtk2.0-dev

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Easier linux download for new users [message #43520 is a reply to message #43519] Sat, 16 August 2014 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

Hi Koldo

koldo wrote on Sat, 16 August 2014 10:44
Now a new user that wants to install U++ in Linux would go to Download page. Following that link s/he will go to different Launchpad pages with many options ...

This is her/his first and probably last mistake... There is no need to go to launchpad at all. In fact, the download page contains a link to simple step-by-step guide that shows how to install U++ on ubuntu in 3 simple steps. If you think the download page is not clear enough, please feel free to update it to put more emphasis on this link.

koldo wrote on Sat, 16 August 2014 10:44
It would be great if we could set an easier way to link from U++ download page directly to a single .deb that works.

No, that is not a good idea. In fact it is exactly what lead you into problems. Downloading .deb files and installing them in most cases effectively bypasses the package management in ubuntu. This is why you were missing all the *-dev packages. They are listed as dependencies in the upp package, so if you would install this package correctly from the PPA through apt-get/aptitude/synaptics/..., it would also install all the dependencies.

Best regards,
Honza
Re: Easier linux download for new users [message #43522 is a reply to message #43520] Mon, 18 August 2014 08:28 Go to previous message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
Hello Honza

I am sorry because I am an absolute dummy in Linux. As far as I have seen, when a .deb is run with, for example, apt-get, all dependencies are installed with it.

I like your step by step guide. However is rather hidden. If it is a mistake to download from Launchpad, I would put your good step by step guide as the first download link, and the others as a secondary source for skilled users.

Best regards
Iñaki
Previous Topic: HAS_LAMBDA
Next Topic: nigthly build tarball 7609 does not compile
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 13:26:46 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01109 seconds