FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Newbie corner » Trojan in HelloWorld
Trojan in HelloWorld [message #45735] Thu, 31 December 2015 08:48 Go to next message
andrew7m is currently offline  andrew7m
I just discovered UPP while searching for cross platform tools.
Looks great. Downloaded it and built the hello world example on Windows 7 no problems.
Uploaded the 3.2MB release build to www.virustotal.com and 7 of 54 virus scanners returned a trojan result (Gen:Trojan.Heur.TP.jFW@b8Z1enf).
False positives no doubt but why. If I make a win32 hello world it doesn't get false positives.
Are all projects built by UPP going to trigger this kind of result?
Re: Trojan in HelloWorld [message #45752 is a reply to message #45735] Fri, 01 January 2016 22:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
Hello Andrew

Thank you for you report.

VirusTotal does a good job as it checks uploaded files against 54 anti virus softwares for free.

I have just checked at VirusTotal Hello World example .exe compiled in a Windows 7 64 bits system with:
- Visual Studio 2015 32 and 64 bits
- MinGW TDM 32 ans 64 bits

No virus has been detected.

Could you give us more details about your system as OS and compiler used?

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Trojan in HelloWorld [message #45754 is a reply to message #45752] Sat, 02 January 2016 02:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
andrew7m is currently offline  andrew7m
I'm using MinGW TDM.
I guess the default build settings were 32-bit. I changed to MINGWx64 and this results in no virus detections, like you observed.
Then I changed back to MINGW (32-bit) and I get 7 detections still.
My OS is Windows 7 Pro 64-bit Service Pack 1.
UPP is Version 9251 (64-bit).

I scanned my PC with five different AV products; MSE, Malwarebytes, eset, f-secure and BitDefender (some were just the online/on-demand scanners). But they didn't find any threats on my machine. I had the 32-bit helloworld.exe running too.
The virus total site says that the scanners they are provided can have stronger heuristics than the public commercial versions.
I don't know why my 32-bit exe returns detections and yours doesn't, but it seems like nothing to do with UPP itself.
Thanks Koldo for taking the time to experiment though.
Re: Trojan in HelloWorld [message #45755 is a reply to message #45752] Sat, 02 January 2016 08:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
koldo wrote on Fri, 01 January 2016 22:39
Hello Andrew

VirusTotal does a good job as it checks uploaded files against 54 anti virus softwares for free.

I have just checked at VirusTotal Hello World example .exe compiled in a Windows 7 64 bits system with:

Is this the same version as in U++ release?

Mirek
Re: Trojan in HelloWorld [message #45762 is a reply to message #45755] Sun, 03 January 2016 09:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Veteran
mirek wrote on Sat, 02 January 2016 08:06
koldo wrote on Fri, 01 January 2016 22:39
Hello Andrew

Is this the same version as in U++ release?

Mirek
Sorry Mirek, I do not know what you mean.

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Trojan in HelloWorld [message #45763 is a reply to message #45754] Sun, 03 January 2016 09:39 Go to previous message
Senior Veteran
andrew7m wrote on Sat, 02 January 2016 02:30
I'm using MinGW TDM.
I guess the default build settings were 32-bit. I changed to MINGWx64 and this results in no virus detections, like you observed.
Then I changed back to MINGW (32-bit) and I get 7 detections still.
My OS is Windows 7 Pro 64-bit Service Pack 1.
UPP is Version 9251 (64-bit).

I scanned my PC with five different AV products; MSE, Malwarebytes, eset, f-secure and BitDefender (some were just the online/on-demand scanners). But they didn't find any threats on my machine. I had the 32-bit helloworld.exe running too.
The virus total site says that the scanners they are provided can have stronger heuristics than the public commercial versions.
I don't know why my 32-bit exe returns detections and yours doesn't, but it seems like nothing to do with UPP itself.
Thanks Koldo for taking the time to experiment though.
Sorry Andrew.

I have repeated the check and I think that in previous test I have sent the same file 4 times to VirusTotal Sad . Now I have done it right and yes, HelloWorld MinGW TDM 32 bits version raises these errors in VirusTotal:
- ByteHero 	Trojan.Malware.KillAV.Gen.001
- Fortinet 	W32/Kryptik.DYEL!tr 

I cannot get any additional information about these errors from this page.

Browsing in Internet there are some posts of people complaining about false antivirus errors in MinGW basic "hello world" programs as here or here or here Sad.
It seems a work in process... Maybe does it happen because antivirus developers do not check too much their softwares with MinGW?

Best regards
Iñaki
Previous Topic: TheIDE doesn't recognize Visual Studio 2015
Next Topic: IDE Suggestion
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 20:02:56 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01628 seconds