Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » Android » Android builder
Android builder [message #44832] Mon, 06 July 2015 11:32 Go to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
I am happy to announce that I have just merged experimental Android builder to TheIDE, developed by Zbigniew Rębacz.

It is still experimental (frankly, so far I have only tested that it has not broken TheIDE Smile, anyway according to docs, you should be now able to build android apps in TheIDE.

Note that this is only about the builder so far, no work was done on libraries yet.
Re: Android builder [message #44840 is a reply to message #44832] Tue, 07 July 2015 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
koldo is currently online  koldo
Senior Veteran
It sounds great Smile. However, how far are we from Android application development?

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Android builder [message #44847 is a reply to message #44840] Wed, 08 July 2015 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
koldo wrote on Tue, 07 July 2015 10:40
It sounds great Smile. However, how far are we from Android application development?

Maybe later this year....
Re: Android builder [message #44850 is a reply to message #44847] Wed, 08 July 2015 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Veteran
More or less, what has been done and what are the components that have to be done?

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Android builder [message #44851 is a reply to message #44850] Wed, 08 July 2015 14:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
koldo wrote on Wed, 08 July 2015 11:23
More or less, what has been done and what are the components that have to be done?

This is builder, it means you should be able to develop android apps (mixed Java/NDK) in TheIDE. Packages work as we are used to, being transformed into android build system structures.

No work has been done on library yet.
Re: Android builder [message #44852 is a reply to message #44851] Wed, 08 July 2015 15:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Veteran
Very interesting, excellent!. Maybe in few months we will see a Hello World Smile

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Android builder [message #44871 is a reply to message #44852] Sun, 12 July 2015 00:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Klugier is currently offline  Klugier
Senior Contributor
Hello koldo,

"Hello world!" example is on the upp trunk (trunk/examples). It name is "AndroidMath".

The example is on the site. Below is links to them: (for some reasons java files are still not visible):
AndroidMath - Main package that shows how to mix Java & C++ in Android project. It also shows how android project structure works with TheIDE.
AndroidMathUtility - pure C++ supportive package.

Please notice that this example doesn't use any upp components only standard c++ library.

Moreover android builder configuration is also written. You can find it in the latest upp version (Help -> "Working with Android builder"). I wish it will be available on upp site.

Sincerely,
Klugier

U++ - one framework to rule them all.

[Updated on: Sun, 12 July 2015 00:19]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Android builder [message #44876 is a reply to message #44871] Mon, 13 July 2015 14:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Veteran
Shocked

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Android builder [message #44884 is a reply to message #44832] Thu, 16 July 2015 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mindtraveller is currently offline  Mindtraveller
Experienced Contributor

Cool!
May be it is good idea to add Android projects to templates.
Re: Android builder [message #44885 is a reply to message #44884] Thu, 16 July 2015 15:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
Hello Mindtraveller,

Application template is already implemented Wink. Catch screen-shot:

index.php?t=getfile&id=4806&private=0

Please notice that this is related to SDK (pure Java development). Maybe in the future I will add NDK template base on native activity. But firstly I should know how it works and what can you do with that. From version 8675 android builder can handle only c++ code.

Porting upp/Core to Android has now biggest priority as well as writing documentation Wink.

Sincerely,
Klugier

[Updated on: Thu, 16 July 2015 16:03]

Re: Android builder [message #44932 is a reply to message #44885] Fri, 24 July 2015 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
Hello,

I just added screen-shot from Android device. It is available on AndroidMath example site: http://www.ultimatepp.org/examples$AndroidMath$en-us.html.

Sincerely,
Klugier

[Updated on: Fri, 24 July 2015 14:00]

Re: Android builder [message #45033 is a reply to message #44932] Sat, 22 August 2015 14:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
Hello one more time,

Finally, I found the way how can I attached documentation into upp website. So, "Working with Android builder" is now online. Here you can check it: http://www.ultimatepp.org/app$ide$AndroidBuilder$en-us.html.

Sincerely,
Klugier

[Updated on: Sat, 22 August 2015 14:56]

Re: Android builder [message #45052 is a reply to message #45033] Tue, 25 August 2015 00:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Veteran
Great, I will try it.

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Android builder [message #45218 is a reply to message #45052] Thu, 08 October 2015 15:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
Hello,

It is possible to run apk build by TheIDE inside Google Chrom browser. Here is tutorial how you can mod chrom to do this: http://www.howtogeek.com/214734/how-to-use-googles-arc-welde r-to-run-android-apps-in-chrome/. At the end you will need to specific path to apk created by TheIDE.

Below is the screen-shot that shows how this look like in desktop system:
index.php?t=getfile&id=4843&private=0

Sincerely,
Klugier

[Updated on: Thu, 08 October 2015 15:41]

Re: Android builder [message #46034 is a reply to message #44832] Sun, 21 February 2016 16:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mdelfede is currently offline  mdelfede
Ultimate Contributor
GREAT! Razz

I was just looking for a decent android build environment.... and didn't find it.
So far the "best" is QT, but it has too many caveats and the license is a big problem.

Is there an estimate timeline for completion ? Can I help somehow ? Not skilled at all on android, but I can try to learn it Smile

Ciao

Max
Re: Android builder [message #46038 is a reply to message #46034] Sun, 21 February 2016 20:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
Hello Max,

I will tell you the truth. I was working on Android Builder during my studies and it is my Master Thesis Smile So, the whole architecture is well documented (around 40 - 50 pages), but only in Polsih. Current status is well described in this topic and in attached links. The best way to test Android Builder is to configure build method and build Android Math example.

What should be done in the future?
- Improvement in IDE infrastructure (reading logs from device via "adb logcat", bugging through jdb, ndk-gdb etc.)
- Improvement in Android Builder - support for unit tests - should speed up development process (We need some kind of TDD)
- TheIDE should be able to launch App directly in emulator
- Gradle integration (I think we should use some kind of Java make - for example Qt uses Ant). Currently we compiling Java sources in single thread.
- Porting Core (It shouldn't be hard - I ran it with simply commenting code - but some things may need improvements like language support!!!)
- Writing GUI back-end for Android (How should we implemented Android activities???)
- Implement native drawing through canvas or OpenGL ES
- OpenGL ES supprot
- Ultimate++ should support GUI containers like Grids, LineralLayout etc.
- Android high DPI support (I think It shouldn't be hard too implemented due to current changes in Draw) - Smart-phones with 4k display Smile
- JNI support we need to call Java code from cpp and vice versa.
- Probably a lot of more things that I forgot to enumerate.

Optional tasks:
- Support for things like accelerometer, video camera etc (Optional).

As you can see U++ with Android is huge project. And it will require a lot of time. That I actually do not have. Currently I am working as a full-time developer in one of local company. But If someone or a company wants to pay for my Job on Android Builder and Android upp integration - I'm open to suggestions. Even if it would be one day per week.

Currently I am posting small patches like Xml indent support for IDE:
- http://www.ultimatepp.org/redmine/issues/1353#change-2790 (Should be usfull for editing Android manifest file Smile )

P.S.
If you want more information we can talk on Skype.

Sincerely,
Klugier

Re: Android builder [message #46041 is a reply to message #46038] Mon, 22 February 2016 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mdelfede is currently offline  mdelfede
Ultimate Contributor
I see, quite an huge job to do.
As you say, I guess that core porting should not be so difficult (not too easy, either).
But the rest is not easy at all.
It's a pity that I don't have enough skills on Android to do some part... I could try something, but my time is also scarce.

Anyways, the job you did up to now is really awesome Wink
I'm coding a couple of small apps with QT, but I really miss the comfort of UPP.

Ciao

Max
Re: Android builder [message #46408 is a reply to message #46041] Sat, 07 May 2016 22:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
Hello all,

I manage to compile Core on Android (small fixes are required - http://www.ultimatepp.org/redmine/issues/1304). Please notice, that this changes are not merged into trunk. Of course I ran several of Core functionality like HttpRequest. Small screen-shot from device (www.ultimatepp.org page was downloaded via HttpRequest):

index.php?t=getfile&id=5005&private=0

I plan that initial version of Core for Android should be available in 2016.1 upp release.

Sincerely and thanks for support,
Klugier

[Updated on: Sat, 07 May 2016 22:27]

Re: Android builder [message #47807 is a reply to message #46408] Sat, 01 April 2017 19:04 Go to previous message
Senior Contributor
Hello,

The good news from the Android sandbox is that our builder support BLITZ technology for both POSIX and Windows.

Sincerely,
Klugier

Previous Topic: Core on Android
Next Topic: Android include file
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 17:20:58 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02411 seconds