Overview
Examples
Screenshots
Comparisons
Applications
Download
Documentation
Tutorials
Bazaar
Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums












SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » U++ Developers corner » Problems compiling theide with mingw (help needed)
Problems compiling theide with mingw (help needed) [message #46251] Sat, 02 April 2016 14:54 Go to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Messages: 13990
Registered: November 2005
Ultimate Member
With C++11 transition, I am in process of switching nightly builds Win32 compiler to mingw (burrent builds are mingw produced already).

However, I have problems with theide inconsistently crashing. First I tried with TDM64, it was crashing for any optimization higher than -o1 level. Then tried tried latest mingw-w64, looked a bit better in the start, but still appears to be unstable.

Does anybody have the experience with building theide with mingw?

It is still possible that the bug is somewhere in the U++ code, OTOH, POSIX builds (with GCC) and MSC builds are 'stable' (I mean, there are sometimes bugs that have to be fixed, but nothing like mingw crashing in long proven routines - one time with TDM I have even analyzed the assembly and found apparent bug...)

Mirek
Re: Problems compiling theide with mingw (help needed) [message #46260 is a reply to message #46251] Sun, 03 April 2016 05:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novo is currently offline  Novo
Messages: 1370
Registered: December 2006
Ultimate Contributor
I've tried to compile with mingw in Linux and got into troubles with include file names. They are all lowercase in case of Linux version of mingw.


Regards,
Novo
Re: Problems compiling theide with mingw (help needed) [message #46261 is a reply to message #46251] Sun, 03 April 2016 06:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novo is currently offline  Novo
Messages: 1370
Registered: December 2006
Ultimate Contributor
In case of TDM:
gcc (tdm64-1) 4.9.2 x64 seems to work fine. All configurations.
gcc (GCC) 4.8.1 x86. Optimal and Speed configurations crash.


Regards,
Novo
Re: Problems compiling theide with mingw (help needed) [message #46262 is a reply to message #46261] Sun, 03 April 2016 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Messages: 13990
Registered: November 2005
Ultimate Member
Novo wrote on Sun, 03 April 2016 06:01
In case of TDM:
gcc (tdm64-1) 4.9.2 x64 seems to work fine. All configurations.
gcc (GCC) 4.8.1 x86. Optimal and Speed configurations crash.


What is your -O setting? Are you using BLITZ?

Have you tested long-term? At first I thought it is OK, but then tried it for regular work and found that not so much...

Anyway, right now I believe that -O2 without BLITZ works with 5.3.0. Current nightly build is done that way. Working hypothesis is that the problem is automatic inlining of all function (which -O3 adds), perhaps linker is unable to cope with that... (naturally, I turned my attention to linker, as GCC itself should be the same as in Linux, where everything is rock stable...). Moreover, -O2 seems to be as fast as -O3.

Now if only linker would be faster with debug...

Mirek
Re: Problems compiling theide with mingw (help needed) [message #46270 is a reply to message #46262] Wed, 06 April 2016 04:28 Go to previous message
Novo is currently offline  Novo
Messages: 1370
Registered: December 2006
Ultimate Contributor
mirek wrote on Sun, 03 April 2016 04:43

What is your -O setting? Are you using BLITZ?

Standard. Speed: -O3, size -Os. I'm using BLITZ only with Debug, which is fine.

mirek wrote on Sun, 03 April 2016 04:43

Have you tested long-term?

For about a year. I need gcc name demangling code.

mirek wrote on Sun, 03 April 2016 04:43

Working hypothesis is that the problem is automatic inlining of all function (which -O3 adds), perhaps linker is unable to cope with that... (naturally, I turned my attention to linker, as GCC itself should be the same as in Linux, where everything is rock stable...). Moreover, -O2 seems to be as fast as -O3.

Another difference between Linux and Windows versions is exception handling. It is always DWARF in Linux, and it is SJLJ in case of 32bit Windows apps, and SEH in case of 64bit Windows apps.

Another observation. I removed -msse2 option with 4.8.1 x86 and that fixed crashing with Optimal and Speed configurations. It looks like it is either a problem with gcc or with data alignment in Upp.

Hope this helps.


Regards,
Novo

[Updated on: Wed, 06 April 2016 04:39]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Cross compiling with mingw
Next Topic: my 3d window
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Wed Jul 17 22:35:56 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01424 seconds