Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ TheIDE » U++ TheIDE: Other Features Wishlist and/or Bugs » Syntax highlighting - Settings being over written with defaults
Syntax highlighting - Settings being over written with defaults [message #48332] Sat, 24 June 2017 00:11 Go to next message
Zed1 is currently offline  Zed1
Promising Member
Hi,

I have only been using U++ for a few days so I don't know if this is a long time bug or recent.

The default IDE settings make my eyes bleed Laughing

I have altered my settings to emulate(ish) Sublime Text (image below and settings file attached).

The issue:
Whenever I use the menu items Setup->Abbreviations or Setup->Macro Manager all of my Syntax highlighting settings are over written with the default settings so I have to re-enter the settings. I have now just taken a copy of my settings file and copy it back over whenever it reverts back to default settings.

My settings...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nhfd2fclc4dog3s/settings.png?dl=0

^^^^^^^^^
Hmm The above image link doesn't appear to be working on this forum so right click and open in new window.
  • Attachment: ide.colors
    (Size: 2.17KB, Downloaded 240 times)

[Updated on: Sat, 24 June 2017 00:16]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Syntax highlighting - Settings being over written with defaults [message #48333 is a reply to message #48332] Sat, 24 June 2017 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Klugier is currently offline  Klugier
Senior Contributor
Hello,

OK - I can confirm that the bug occurs on my machine as well - it is ticket as #1755.

Any help in this area is welcome. I am black on white guy, so it is not critical for me Wink But, this is definitely something that we should investigate.

Sincerely,
Klugier

U++ - one framework to rule them all.

[Updated on: Sat, 24 June 2017 13:42]

Re: Syntax highlighting - Settings being over written with defaults [message #48334 is a reply to message #48333] Sat, 24 June 2017 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
Hello,

I know what is wrong - but this is huge problem with our internal CodeEditor architecture - the problem is that we use global settings (some kind of singlet - which is always anti-pater). What we need to do in CodeEditor code area is just remove that singleton and make it per CodeEditor. Then we could pass settings for each instance of code editor in the independent way.

This structure is the problem (CodeEditor - Syntax.h):
struct HighlightSetup { // Global highlighting settings

Sincerely,
Klugier

Re: Syntax highlighting - Settings being over written with defaults [message #48335 is a reply to message #48332] Sat, 24 June 2017 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
I can confirm TheIDE looks simply wrong in dark theme out of box (I mean unusably wrong).

I just recently reinstalled my desktop and went form Breeze-dark theme, and TheIDE doesn't neither set up all the colors, nor does it have any heuristic for light/dark theme, so this is the default setup result:

screenshot: http://umsle.peklo.biz/img/1498304115.png

Also this forum does set colours completely, so for example adding this post looks like this:

screenshot2: http://umsle.peklo.biz/img/1498304415.png

Desktop is KDE5, so both IDE and firefox have disadvantage in being not KDE/Qt app, and being under GTK override from it.

Re: Syntax highlighting - Settings being over written with defaults [message #48340 is a reply to message #48335] Sat, 24 June 2017 15:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
Hello,

I manage to fix that problem by loading code editor schemes in Macro Manager and Abbrivation dialogs. Now, it should not override global settings. However is still thinking that keeping global code editor state is some kind of bad design.

Please notice that MacroManager and Abbrivation dialogs will look exactly the same as ide code editor - so in my opinion it is good change, because it unifies ide code editors.

Please check with tomorrow nightly builds.

Sincerely,
Klugier

Re: Syntax highlighting - Settings being over written with defaults [message #48344 is a reply to message #48332] Sat, 24 June 2017 17:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member
WOW!!!

That was a nice quick response.

Thank you Klugier for taking the time to look at and fix this issue it is very much appreciated.

Re: Syntax highlighting - Settings being over written with defaults [message #48347 is a reply to message #48344] Sun, 25 June 2017 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
In related news, I have added default dark scheme (based on your colors, I hope you do not mind), so users preferring dark should get something reasonable out of box now.

Re: Syntax highlighting - Settings being over written with defaults [message #48348 is a reply to message #48347] Sun, 25 June 2017 15:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
Hello,

What about small helper functions in the code?
void HighlightSetup::DefaultHlStyles()
{
   if(IsDark(SColorPaper()))
         InitDarkHlStyles();
   else
         InitDefaultHlStyles();

Where "Init..." functions could be private class methods or static functions inside .cpp file. In my opinion this will give us better code readability.

Sincerely,
Klugier

[Updated on: Sun, 25 June 2017 15:57]

Re: Syntax highlighting - Settings being over written with defaults [message #48349 is a reply to message #48332] Sun, 25 June 2017 16:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member
Hi,

Mirek:
Of course I don't mind in fact thank you I look forward to trying it out.

I must admit my first thought was ok I like the lib but how can I use it in another editor as this looks very old school.

I think little things like this help with pickup of new users of U++ and it adds a more modern look to theIDE.

Kliger:
Thank you for the feed back it was the result of messing around for about 5 mins so I agree that it still needs some tweaking here and there.

Re: Syntax highlighting - Settings being over written with defaults [message #48354 is a reply to message #48349] Sun, 25 June 2017 21:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Have to say, I have tried to invent my own scheme first, but it was taking too much time Smile So I said what the hell, lets start with that guy's colors and just fix the most apparent things.

If you have any improvements, just post updated colors here, I might consider updating the default.

Re: Syntax highlighting - Settings being over written with defaults [message #48362 is a reply to message #48347] Mon, 26 June 2017 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
The new default dark looks usable, if I will do some C++ for a while (not likely at the moment :/ ), I will probably tune it a bit, and post back my config, but at the moment the default "works":

http://umsle.peklo.biz/img/1498463542.png

Just one question, why "Select" inside C++ source has SQL highlight colour? Is it some bug, or inherent design of current parser and impossible to fix in simple way?
Re: Syntax highlighting - Settings being over written with defaults [message #48363 is a reply to message #48362] Mon, 26 June 2017 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
mr_ped wrote on Mon, 26 June 2017 09:56

Just one question, why "Select" inside C++ source has SQL highlight colour? Is it some bug, or inherent design of current parser and impossible to fix in simple way?

It is by design - function names that match U++ SqlExp are highlighted. I do not really like it, but it was pushed on me years ago. In default 'white' highlighting, colors are se to the normal ink (so no highlighting).

I guess it should be the same for dark theme. Going to fix it...
Re: Syntax highlighting - Settings being over written with defaults [message #48373 is a reply to message #48332] Mon, 26 June 2017 15:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member
Hi,

Stupid question but where do I go to turn dark on?

I was expecting a dropdown with Default / Dark or something simple like that.

Re: Syntax highlighting - Settings being over written with defaults [message #48374 is a reply to message #48373] Mon, 26 June 2017 16:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
Hello,

In my opinion we should develop something called "Theme manager" in settings to allow user select dark them even if the operating system settings is white. This addition should also allow user to share themes.

Currently, you can try this by switching in your operating system theme to dark (I don't know how to do this on M$ Windows) and the reset color configuration in "Settings". This should force "Dark" mode theme inside TheIDE.

Sincerely,
Klugier

Re: Syntax highlighting - Settings being over written with defaults [message #48377 is a reply to message #48332] Mon, 26 June 2017 17:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member
Hi,

Windows 10.

I can not get it to work...

I have tried (amongst various other things) to set my current theme to dark (and even changed to a dark theme) and picked a dark background screen but the colour settings remain as default.

Sorry please don't be offended by this as I really do appreciate the time and effort you have put into this.

I don't understand why the application setting are not configurable and can be altered independent of anything else this seems a little restrictive.

A "Theme Manager" would be an excellent solution in my opinion and definitely gets my vote.

Re: Syntax highlighting - Settings being over written with defaults [message #48378 is a reply to message #48377] Mon, 26 June 2017 17:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Just to be sure, are you testing with the latest nightly release?

http://www.ultimatepp.org/www$uppweb$nightly$en-us.html

Mirek
Re: Syntax highlighting - Settings being over written with defaults [message #48379 is a reply to message #48332] Mon, 26 June 2017 18:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member
Hi,

I am using 2017-06-26 06:52 upp-mingw-11204.7z.

Just as an example of a heavily used ide (and copied see github ATOM) is Sublime Text it is for free for evaluation https://www.sublimetext.com/.

This contains some very good functionality (ie. Select a var and ctl+d to select all other occurrences and edit via multi cursor) and could serve as a basis for some ideas for theIDE.

Having said this I also really like the functionality built into theIDE (jump to selected function, Assist, Layout designer, etc...) I am currently wearing out my alt-j and alt-i keys.

Choosing Ultimate++ was definitely one of my better decisions.

The more I use it the more like it and this forum's users are excellent with fast responses and helpful advise compared to some of the other forums that I use for web dev etc...

Thank you.

[Updated on: Mon, 26 June 2017 18:36]

Re: Syntax highlighting - Settings being over written with defaults [message #48404 is a reply to message #48379] Fri, 30 June 2017 22:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
Hello Mirek,

IMO, we need to allow user to re-switch to dark theme without need to posses appropriate system settings (via check "IsDark()" in CodeEditor code). Simply switch in IDE settings should do the trick. Please also consider adding helper for the theme selection in CodeEditor (To find more information - read my previous post).

In Syntax highlight we can do something like this:
[Switch - Default theme]
- White
- Dark
- System (Default)
Then when we reset settings the option given option should be taken into account.

Please let me know what do you think about this solution.

Sincerely,
Klugier

Re: Syntax highlighting - Settings being over written with defaults [message #48797 is a reply to message #48404] Tue, 19 September 2017 15:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member
Hi,

Has there been any movement with this?
Re: Syntax highlighting - Settings being over written with defaults [message #48798 is a reply to message #48797] Tue, 19 September 2017 15:44 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
cbpporter is currently offline  cbpporter
Ultimate Contributor
This is a hard to follow thread.

What seems to be the problem again? I am using CodeEditor, and I am loading/saving/changing all colors without problems.
Previous Topic: Case insensitivity for Assist++
Next Topic: Project export bugs
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 00:28:43 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02871 seconds