Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Extra libraries, Code snippets, applications etc. » OS Problems etc., Win32, POSIX, MacOS, FreeBSD, X11 etc » [SOLVED] Mint Linux requirements
[SOLVED] Mint Linux requirements [message #49245] Wed, 10 January 2018 12:01 Go to next message
cbpporter is currently offline  cbpporter
Ultimate Contributor
Since 2017.2 is not working that great for me under Windows right now, I'll give Linux a go since I need to work ASAP.

But there are no comprehensive installation instructions.

Here is a complete list of software names you need to manually install under Linux Mint using the software manager GUI in order to compile U++ from sources. These names change a bit from Linux version to Linux version:

G++
Zlib1g-dev
Libbz2-dev
libgtk2.0-dev
libnotify-dev

It would be great if other Linux version users would provide their own list.

[Updated on: Wed, 10 January 2018 22:32]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Mint Linux requirements [message #49248 is a reply to message #49245] Wed, 10 January 2018 20:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Klugier is currently offline  Klugier
Senior Contributor
Hello,

In the tarbal there are two file. One for Debian derived distribution (Debian, Ubuntu, Mint etc) and one Fedora (RPM package base). All you need to do on your machine is to call:
chmod +x buildrequires.debian
sudo buildrequires.debian

All required package will be installed for you. Here is the list for your Mint distribution:
#!/usr/bin/env bash

apt-get install g++
apt-get install make
apt-get install libgtk2.0-dev
apt-get install libnotify-dev
apt-get install libbz2-dev
apt-get install sox
apt-get install libssl-dev

Our POSIX distribution is complete in this area. And the development team that create this scripts made fantastic job. I do not see any reasons to create the copy of this file to fit the distribution name like buildrequirements.mint. Debian is alright if you posses minimal knowledge about linux distribution history.

Sincerely and have a nice day,
Klugier

U++ - one framework to rule them all.

[Updated on: Wed, 10 January 2018 20:36]

Re: Mint Linux requirements [message #49250 is a reply to message #49248] Wed, 10 January 2018 21:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Hi Klugier!

It looks like the official list is similar to the one I have determined experimentally.

So great job on that, having it included in the package.

But how was I supposed to know about buildrequires.debian? Is it a standardized convention? So probably the scripts are good and don't need to be updated, but instead clear documentation in a readily observable place is the solution?

The doMake script already does some checks but it is not that clear on what is missing and scrolls away too fast. So maybe the script should ask you if you want to run buildrequires.debian? And I know that these are not "standard" auto-tools scripts, but maybe they should be renamed as such?

Who knows about calling buildrequires.debian? On the other hand, even a lot of novices know about ./configure. And make. And make install. It maybe just a question of renaming files to be instantly recognizable? Because the scripts clearly work. After installing those pieces of software manually the whole process ran perfectly, from building to installing. Well, TheIDE setup defaulted to "manual configuration", which I'm not sure is ideal. But otherwise worked perfectly.

Just an idea. Now that I know about those scripts, installing a second time should be much easier.

Thank you!

Re: Mint Linux requirements [message #49251 is a reply to message #49250] Wed, 10 January 2018 22:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Klugier is currently offline  Klugier
Senior Contributor
Hello,

I will surprise you - we have documentation for build requirements on Linux the file I was talking about is also mention there. Please review https://www.ultimatepp.org/www$uppweb$uppx11$en-us.html and let me know what should we fix in these area.

I see that we might create "Table of contents" feature for this quite long article. But, the required packages are mentioned on the top. This document was created when we release 2017.1 version of Upp.

I will write to our Linux build experts to refer to your proposition. I am not the expert in this area.

Sincerely,
Klugier

U++ - one framework to rule them all.

[Updated on: Wed, 10 January 2018 22:17]

Re: Mint Linux requirements [message #49252 is a reply to message #49251] Wed, 10 January 2018 22:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Hmmm, that is more than fair documentation.

Sorry, I don't know how I missed it. I don't know how one could improve discoverability since it is placed in a good location on the site.

Anyway, my main point was that we should compile the requirements for various distributions somewhere on the site and offered my discoveries. And they are compiled. So I consider the main point closed.

Making the script a bit more idiot friendly is a completely other discussion.
Re: [SOLVED] Mint Linux requirements [message #49314 is a reply to message #49245] Wed, 24 January 2018 21:36 Go to previous message
amrein is currently offline  amrein
Experienced Member
Hi

All U++ tarball have a readme.md file explaining how to build theide and umk.

You also have the same information here: https://www.ultimatepp.org/www$uppweb$uppx11$en-us.html
And more there: https://www.ultimatepp.org/app$ide$SrcUpdater$LinuxInstallGu ide$en-us.html
Previous Topic: How's the Mac support?
Next Topic: [Solved] "There were errors"
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:58:26 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01332 seconds