Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » U++ community news and announcements » Critical issues to resolve for U++ 2018.1 - please suggest
Critical issues to resolve for U++ 2018.1 - please suggest [message #49280] Mon, 15 January 2018 13:41 Go to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
I would like to increase the release frequency and right now, there are some nice additions and important fixes since the last release, so I would like to release within a month or so...

Right now I am not aware about any _critical_ issues that would have to be resolved right now. If you know about anything, please resond here.

Mirek
Issues with OpenGL [message #49285 is a reply to message #49280] Mon, 15 January 2018 22:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ren42 is currently offline  ren42
Promising Member
Hi Mirek,

I tried to compile the reference/GLDrawDemo example but compiling fails:
/home/thomas/upp/uppsrc/GLDraw/GLDrawS.cpp (245):
error: non-constant-expression cannot be narrowed from type 'int' to 'GLshort' (aka 'short') in initializer list [-Wc++11-narrowing]

I was able to fix these errors with three changes in GLDrawS.cpp:

Line 244
//	GLshort vertex[] = {
	GLint vertex[] = { 
	    rect.left, rect.top,
	    rect.left, rect.bottom,
	    rect.right, rect.bottom,
	    rect.right, rect.top,
	};
Line 307
//	GLshort vertex[] = {
	GLint vertex[] = {
	    r.left, r.top,
	    r.left, r.bottom,
	    r.right, r.bottom,
	    r.right, r.top,
	};
Line 373
//	GLshort vertex[] = {
	GLint vertex[] = {
	    rect.left, rect.top,
	    rect.left, rect.bottom,
	    rect.right, rect.bottom,
	    rect.right, rect.top,
	};

With this changes it compiled and run but...
the window shows only a copy of the screen "behind" it
instead of rendering what this example want.

Is the type change from GLshort to GLint ok?
Or is there something wrong with OpenGL?

my System:OpenSuse Leap42.2 Upp2017.2 clang

Thanks in advance,
Thomas
Re: Issues with OpenGL [message #49286 is a reply to message #49285] Mon, 15 January 2018 22:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Klugier is currently offline  Klugier
Senior Contributor
Hello,

I am aware that OpenGL implementation is not working as it should be on Linux. The first reason is that our GTK backend doesn't support DHCtrl. Which is require for high performance OpenGL. On the other hand our X11 implementation that worked previously for some reasons stops working (Due to Mirek's patch to CtrlCore). And there is no obvious way how to fix it - I spent some time try to fix it without success.

However, from Linux our goal should be developing DHCtrl for GTK and after that build OpenGL ctrl. The X11 back-end has got lower priority for us. I believe for now we should only fix crashes - nothing else.

Mirek fix GLDraw compilation at 9th January of 2018. It should be fixed in next release.

+Mirek
I prioritize some redmines ticket and set them with hight priority. Can you look at this and analyze that should we fix it in 2018.1 (Service pack for 2017.1). Just sort "Issues" with priority.

Sincerely,
Klugier

U++ - one framework to rule them all.

[Updated on: Mon, 15 January 2018 22:43]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Issues with OpenGL [message #49351 is a reply to message #49286] Tue, 30 January 2018 15:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cbpporter is currently offline  cbpporter
Ultimate Contributor
Here is a problem I'm having: sometimes, the apps that TheIDE launches for debugging remain hung up.

This is an ancient issue, at least 3 years old, but in the past it happened incredibly rarely, like single digit times/a year.

Now it happens between 2-3 times a week up to 5-6 times a day.

The executable becomes impossible to write to and I can't close it at all, even with End process tree from task manager. I used to have to restart Windows to fix it.

But now I found a solution. Close TheIDE, delete the file and restart TheIDE. The delete might be optional.

So TheIDE must be keeping my application "closed" but still loaded in memory.

Anybody else having this problem?

Maybe we should add a check to TheIDE: if it thinks that the application is closed, maybe it should go over the process tree and if the application is found, give a message? At least for debugging this hang up?
Re: Issues with OpenGL [message #49353 is a reply to message #49351] Tue, 30 January 2018 18:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
cbpporter wrote on Tue, 30 January 2018 15:41
Here is a problem I'm having: sometimes, the apps that TheIDE launches for debugging remain hung up.

This is an ancient issue, at least 3 years old, but in the past it happened incredibly rarely, like single digit times/a year.

Now it happens between 2-3 times a week up to 5-6 times a day.

The executable becomes impossible to write to and I can't close it at all, even with End process tree from task manager. I used to have to restart Windows to fix it.

But now I found a solution. Close TheIDE, delete the file and restart TheIDE. The delete might be optional.

So TheIDE must be keeping my application "closed" but still loaded in memory.

Anybody else having this problem?

Maybe we should add a check to TheIDE: if it thinks that the application is closed, maybe it should go over the process tree and if the application is found, give a message? At least for debugging this hang up?

a) this is not really related to opengl, right?

b) you should specify the host platform and compiler

Anyway, I suppose its Windows and MSC.

I have to say this is long term issue which I have problems with too - I think this happens when you start pdb debugger and then stop debugging (Shift+F5). Workaround is to restart theide (no need to delete the file).

The problem is likely that I have not figured out how to kill debugged process correctly in all cases. The critical part of code is in void Pdb::Stop(), it is really only a couple of lines, so maybe if anybody could look into it and fix this, it would be great.

Re: Issues with OpenGL [message #49467 is a reply to message #49353] Thu, 15 February 2018 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
I looked over Pdb.Stop() and don't see why it would fail. It call CloseHandle on both process and thread handles.

The only idea I have is to check every single WinAPI call and MessageBox on a fail Smile.

Like I said, I know the bug is an old one, but right now it happens multiple times a day.
Re: Issues with OpenGL [message #49476 is a reply to message #49467] Fri, 16 February 2018 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
cbpporter wrote on Thu, 15 February 2018 13:20
I looked over Pdb.Stop() and don't see why it would fail. It call CloseHandle on both process and thread handles.

The only idea I have is to check every single WinAPI call and MessageBox on a fail Smile.

Good idea.

Anyway, thinking about it, maybe the order of calling these things is wrong. If you have a bit of time, perhaps you can try to shuffle them a bit...
Re: Issues with OpenGL [message #49479 is a reply to message #49476] Fri, 16 February 2018 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Sure. This issue is ridiculously annoying. Especially since I need more version of TheIDE running at once and once I have to close one because of this issue, I have to close them all because the re-opened one is in a different order on the task-bar and I have strong muscle memory and end up clicking on the wrong one.

So far TerminateProcess fails and also my PromptOK causes TheIDE to crash Smile.
Re: Issues with OpenGL [message #49480 is a reply to message #49479] Fri, 16 February 2018 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
cbpporter wrote on Fri, 16 February 2018 11:57
Sure. This issue is ridiculously annoying. Especially since I need more version of TheIDE running at once and once I have to close one because of this issue, I have to close them all because the re-opened one is in a different order on the task-bar and I have strong muscle memory and end up clicking on the wrong one.

So far TerminateProcess fails and also my PromptOK causes TheIDE to crash Smile.

I would try to move it before CloseHandle...
Re: Issues with OpenGL [message #49481 is a reply to message #49480] Fri, 16 February 2018 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Alternatively, this could be meaningful:

Quote:

TerminateProcess is asynchronous; it initiates termination and returns immediately. If you need to be sure the process has terminated, call the WaitForSingleObject function with a handle to the process.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms6 86714(v=vs.85).aspx
Re: Issues with OpenGL [message #49482 is a reply to message #49481] Fri, 16 February 2018 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Replaced the PromptOKs with logs and now I'm waiting patiently for the next lock-up.

I think we'll have some results early next week...
Re: Issues with OpenGL [message #49521 is a reply to message #49481] Thu, 22 February 2018 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
mirek wrote on Fri, 16 February 2018 13:26

Quote:

TerminateProcess is asynchronous; it initiates termination and returns immediately. If you need to be sure the process has terminated, call the WaitForSingleObject function with a handle to the process.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms6 86714(v=vs.85).aspx

That might be it. Since I added the logs, there were some failures, but not on TerminateProcess and no hang ups. Maybe the time it took to write the logs is enough for TerminateProcess to finish and no lock ups?
Re: Issues with OpenGL [message #49522 is a reply to message #49521] Thu, 22 February 2018 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
cbpporter wrote on Thu, 22 February 2018 11:36
mirek wrote on Fri, 16 February 2018 13:26

Quote:

That might be it. Since I added the logs, there were some failures, but not on TerminateProcess and no hang ups. Maybe the time it took to write the logs is enough for TerminateProcess to finish and no lock ups?

OK, perhaps you can try WaitForSingleObject now and remove the logs?
Re: Critical issues to resolve for U++ 2018.1 - please suggest [message #49839 is a reply to message #49280] Wed, 16 May 2018 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Well, you know how this goes. I program in phases on different projects, and only 3 are in U++. So there are a couple of months of U++ work and activity on forum and then I'm gone Razz.

I'm back now for a couple of months and another feature phase on my projects, so back to the old problems.

I got today one of these signature debugger hangs.

I'm testing:
WaitForSingleObject(hProcess, INFINITE);

I'll get back to you in a few days to see if this helps in any way...
Re: Critical issues to resolve for U++ 2018.1 - please suggest [message #49864 is a reply to message #49839] Tue, 22 May 2018 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
cbpporter wrote on Wed, 16 May 2018 12:57
Well, you know how this goes. I program in phases on different projects, and only 3 are in U++. So there are a couple of months of U++ work and activity on forum and then I'm gone Razz.

I'm back now for a couple of months and another feature phase on my projects, so back to the old problems.

I got today one of these signature debugger hangs.

I'm testing:
WaitForSingleObject(hProcess, INFINITE);

I'll get back to you in a few days to see if this helps in any way...

Preliminary evaluation of my solution: TheIDE locks up waiting for the process to finish.

I'm out of ideas for now, since not even task manager can sometimes shut down those rogue hanging processes.
Re: Critical issues to resolve for U++ 2018.1 - please suggest [message #50622 is a reply to message #49864] Tue, 27 November 2018 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Continuation: https://www.ultimatepp.org/forums/index.php?t=msg&goto=5 0621&#msg_50621
Re: Critical issues to resolve for U++ 2018.1 - please suggest [message #50642 is a reply to message #50622] Wed, 28 November 2018 17:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
mirek wrote on Tue, 27 November 2018 10:52
Continuation: https://www.ultimatepp.org/forums/index.php?t=msg&goto=5 0621&#msg_50621

Is this the debugger not being able to terminate issue?

Because I am getting that at least once an hour and need to close up TheIDE. I'll test the nightly too if that is the case.
Re: Critical issues to resolve for U++ 2018.1 - please suggest [message #50643 is a reply to message #50642] Wed, 28 November 2018 18:12 Go to previous message
Ultimate Member
Hopefully it is fixed; but in nightly tomorrow.
Previous Topic: Painter refactored/optimized
Next Topic: usecs
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 22:43:39 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01951 seconds