Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » U++ community news and announcements » Gdb now supports execution interruption and live breakpointing
Gdb now supports execution interruption and live breakpointing [message #50053] Fri, 29 June 2018 22:34 Go to next message
Klugier is currently offline  Klugier
Senior Contributor
Hello,

I would like to announce that now it is possible to break the execution of the application in any time with GDB. It allows you to set breakpoints whenever you want. The improvement works on all supported platforms Windows & POSIX. Currently, we are still working on live breakpointing with GDB.

Here is the screen-shot of improved GDB menu inside IDE:
index.php?t=getfile&id=5627&private=0

Moreover, TheIDE now shows maximally 200 entries of the stack to avoid TheIDE not responding problem. The following problem occurred when recursion crashed the application.

Sincerely,
Klugier

U++ - one framework to rule them all.

[Updated on: Tue, 10 July 2018 21:20]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Gdb now supports execution interruption [message #50055 is a reply to message #50053] Sat, 30 June 2018 16:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
Thank you Klugier.

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Gdb now supports execution interruption [message #50068 is a reply to message #50055] Tue, 10 July 2018 21:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
Hello,

I am glad to announce that live breakpointing for the GDB debugger backend is implemented. I hope you will guys use this feature often while writing apps with U++ framework... Have a nice debugging with GDB backend!

Today I resolve some minor issue with live breakpointing, so please try tomorrow version of U++ (11.07.2018).

Sincerely,
Klugier

Re: Gdb now supports execution interruption [message #50072 is a reply to message #50068] Wed, 11 July 2018 16:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Veteran
Hi Klugier

With this improvements, will GDB functionality be equivalent to the one of MSC?

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Gdb now supports execution interruption [message #50073 is a reply to message #50072] Wed, 11 July 2018 19:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
Hello,

I believe PDB back-end is still recommended especially on Windows. I think it is still more mature and stable. However, I do not use it very often, I mainly develop on Linux when GDB is the only choice.

You can compare these two implementations by your own and write your feelings here. I would be glad if somebody tests our improvements.

Currently we have two more serious problems related to GDB:
- high CPU usage (This can be eliminated by moving GDB invoking code to separate thread - one core is fully loaded - busy waiting)
- Click on the button problem that freeze TheIDE (POSIX only)

Sincerely,
Klugier

Re: Gdb now supports execution interruption [message #50074 is a reply to message #50073] Thu, 12 July 2018 05:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novo is currently offline  Novo
Ultimate Contributor
Klugier wrote on Wed, 11 July 2018 13:50
GDB is the only choice.

Hi Klugier,

Please do not forget about Clang and lldb. Smile
Clang is the best compiler for Linux.

Regards,
Novo
Re: Gdb now supports execution interruption [message #50075 is a reply to message #50074] Thu, 12 July 2018 17:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Veteran
Dear Klugier

I have tried it with MinGW in Windows 10.
Unfortunately clicking F9 when program is running, freezes TheIDE, program is running and TaskManager shows 0% activity in gdb and TheIDE.
When the breakpoints have been set before launching the program, TheIDE runs.

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Gdb now supports execution interruption [message #50076 is a reply to message #50075] Thu, 12 July 2018 22:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
Hello Koldo,

I just tested latest U++ on Windows and I am unable to reproduce your problem. Please make sure you have selected "Standard" GDB mode in your settings:
index.php?t=getfile&id=5632&private=0

Currently, I am aware that GDB_MI2 doesn't work correctly in simple scenario. For me there is not need to keep two different GDB implementations. We should focus on only one and polish it. Some time ago I asked Massimo for deletion, but he didn't answer me, yet.

I have another question - what is your version of TheIDE?

Sincerely,
Klugier

[Updated on: Thu, 12 July 2018 22:19]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Gdb now supports execution interruption [message #50077 is a reply to message #50076] Fri, 13 July 2018 13:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Veteran
Thank you Klugier

That was the problem. Now MinGW GDB debugger works right and fast Smile

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Gdb now supports execution interruption [message #50078 is a reply to message #50077] Fri, 13 July 2018 20:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novo is currently offline  Novo
Ultimate Contributor
A quote from the LLDB documentation:

"The LLDB debugger APIs are exposed as a C++ object oriented interface in a shared library. The lldb command line tool links to, and uses this public API."

Regards,
Novo
Re: Gdb now supports execution interruption [message #50114 is a reply to message #50078] Mon, 30 July 2018 11:50 Go to previous message
Senior Contributor
Hello,

FYI, The GDB_MI2 backend was removed from TheIDE. In meanwhile, I also fixed some minor issues related to GDB.

Sincerely,
Klugier

Previous Topic: ConvertDate::SetDefaultMinMax
Next Topic: Core: LOG_ELPASE for StdLogSetup
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 12:37:49 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00990 seconds