Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Newbie corner » Compile Error on Windows 10 (Tried project in tutorial, but get thousands of compile errors.)
Compile Error on Windows 10 [message #50236] Sat, 01 September 2018 17:25 Go to next message
Krantz is currently offline  Krantz
Hi, everyone. I am a newbie on Ultimate++.

Today I had my first try on this framework, but even the tutorial program fails to compile. I always get compile errors within the library, like "wchar does not name a type" etc. I thought that problem might be on my compiler (which is MinGW-w64 7.2.0), so I tried the 7z package with mingw, but the problem still exists. I'm desperate now. Anyway, I suppose that I really shouldn't get that many error messages.
Re: Compile Error on Windows 10 [message #50238 is a reply to message #50236] Sun, 02 September 2018 02:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Klugier is currently offline  Klugier
Senior Contributor
Hello,

Please post the screen shot of your TheIDE - similar to that https://www.ultimatepp.org/forums/index.php?t=getfile&id =5643&. Then I can diagnose some common problems.

Please also check that the problem you have is not that mentioned in this topic - https:// www.ultimatepp.org/forums/index.php?t=msg&goto=50199& ;#msg_50199. U++ should work out of the box after unziping MinGW release without additional configuration.

Sincerely,
Klugier

U++ - one framework to rule them all.
Re: Compile Error on Windows 10 [message #50249 is a reply to message #50238] Mon, 03 September 2018 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Below attached are screenshots of TheIDE and Build-Method dialog when I try to compile the tutorial Gui01.

The problems happened in package Core, where the compiler reports "wchar does not name a type". This screenshot is really using my own MinGW-w64, but the official "upp with mingw" reports exactly the same error message.

I guess some configuration of Upp went wrong, but I cannot figure out what's going on.

[Updated on: Mon, 03 September 2018 19:40] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: Compile Error on Windows 10 [message #50250 is a reply to message #50249] Mon, 03 September 2018 19:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
Hello,

I think your installation is wrong. Please use bundled MinGW without specifying custom - it is the easiest way for beginners. Because, there is a high change that you mess with manual configuration.

You can download nightly or stable release, but with mingw in the name. All you need to do is unpack your file place it to the easy directory like "C:/Prototable/upp/" and then you can enjoy upp mingw experience - out of the box.

You can download nightly builds here. All files that posses following name pattern upp-mingw-x.7z (Where x is version number) is a good choice for beginners.

Sincerely,
Klugier

[Updated on: Mon, 03 September 2018 23:57]

Re: Compile Error on Windows 10 [message #50256 is a reply to message #50250] Wed, 05 September 2018 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Compile error again with the official "upp-with-mingw.7z", but somehow I think that I have found the problem.

The compiler on Windows does not really recognize the difference between <String.h> and <string.h>, so as "Core.h" intends to #include <string.h>, the compiler found <String.h> and #include that instead. I even tried to modify it and it becomes #include <cstring>, but in <cstring>, <string.h> is again included, and therefore <String.h> is selected, which causes the same error. But strangely enough, when I leave directory Core, and get back to uppsrc, then compiling Core.h succeeded, so it's the compiler that looks for system headers in brackets in current path '.', which really caused this problem.

Also, as far as I am concerned, 'wchar' is not a type in the standard, so I wonder where did the library define this, since <String.h> does not #include anything before its use of 'wchar' in the declaration of function 'wstrlen'.

[Updated on: Wed, 05 September 2018 08:16]

Re: Compile Error on Windows 10 [message #50258 is a reply to message #50256] Wed, 05 September 2018 16:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
Hello,

Can you open the Core package in your project view and check if there are any files there? The problem might be related to wrong assemblies setup. However, it is very unlikely if you installed from 7z archive.

I downloaded upp on fresh machine put it to the same folder you have put your installation and it works.

Can you also post your build method configuration one more time with include and lib directories attached.

Sincerely,
Klugier

Re: Compile Error on Windows 10 [message #50260 is a reply to message #50258] Thu, 06 September 2018 13:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello,

Many thanks for your help and your patience. Problem solved.

The problem was really on my compiler. Just now, it suddenly occurred to me that I should have cleaned up my environment variables including C_INCLUDE_PATH, CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH, etc. So I did that (also removed all reference to my own version of MinGW in PATH) and tried another time. This time all things worked fine. I suspect that TheIDE, although given the path of compilers, had still preferred the one in PATH, and that might be the real issue. By the way, MSVC also worked fine after my custom configuration.
Re: Compile Error on Windows 10 [message #50262 is a reply to message #50260] Thu, 06 September 2018 14:39 Go to previous message
Senior Contributor
Hello,

I am glad you solved your problem. I wish you happy coding with TheIDE Smile

Sincerely,
Klugier

Previous Topic: Adding a records through a SqlArray with duplicated columns
Next Topic: Statically linked Web Browser
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 02:40:32 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00965 seconds