Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ TheIDE » U++ TheIDE: Other Features Wishlist and/or Bugs » ide/editor usability issues
ide/editor usability issues [message #51232] Sun, 24 February 2019 09:11 Go to next message
slashupp is currently offline  slashupp
Experienced Member
some things I find hindering in the ide/editor:

- wordwrap comments - this should be default OFF, and to be enabled by user's choice

- wordwrapping code-lines - (a new thing) same as above, this is especially irritating because it breaks my concentration
since I have to hunt for my code that disappeared from where I was typing, and I cannot find where to turn this OFF

- navigator - same; the editor expands to the right and the navigator should not be there by default, this
is a user-choice to be OFF by default

- rescan file while editing - suggest a tool-button for this because lately there is a lag, half-a-sec to a sec,
between typing and the character appearing on-screen because of rescanning being busy

What do you think, can/should this be changed?
(or should I just shut-up & be happy for getting a free tool?)
Re: ide/editor usability issues [message #51233 is a reply to message #51232] Sun, 24 February 2019 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
slashupp wrote on Sun, 24 February 2019 09:11
some things I find hindering in the ide/editor:
- wordwrapping code-lines - (a new thing) same as above, this is especially irritating because it breaks my concentration
since I have to hunt for my code that disappeared from where I was typing, and I cannot find where to turn this OFF

I am not aware about this. Are you sure this happens?

Quote:

- navigator - same; the editor expands to the right and the navigator should not be there by default, this
is a user-choice to be OFF by default

What are we trying to save here? With navigator visible, I have space for 160 columns of text with comfortable text size.

Quote:

- rescan file while editing - suggest a tool-button for this because lately there is a lag, half-a-sec to a sec,
between typing and the character appearing on-screen because of rescanning being busy

Well, this should be perhaps improved. Can you describe the situation more in detail?

Quote:

(or should I just shut-up & be happy for getting a free tool?)

Be happy that you can configure most of this free tool to your liking? Smile

Mirek
Re: ide/editor usability issues [message #51234 is a reply to message #51233] Sun, 24 February 2019 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
(Im using svn 12781)

word-wrapping code-lines: this happen consistently when I have a long line and type beyond column 96/7 then
the input-point suddenly jump to an indented new line below

navigator: I agree it must be available, but to the left of the editor as per the original
default, when it is to the right I find it not helpful/interferes with my visual feel for the code
and I always change it back to the middle/left of the editor, which is what I'm saying should remain
the default location

rescan file while editing: this is maybe just part of the start-up process of theide, and maybe I'm too quick
into editing for it to have finished scanning all sources used; after a project is open a while this
becomes less of an issue, I have not timed it, so maybe I should just be patient for the few minutes it
takes theide to set itself up - I'll monitor it and report if it persists

"Be happy ... "
"Don't worry ..."
I am, thx! Smile
Re: ide/editor usability issues [message #51238 is a reply to message #51234] Sun, 24 February 2019 17:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
slashupp wrote on Sun, 24 February 2019 11:18
(Im using svn 12781)

word-wrapping code-lines: this happen consistently when I have a long line and type beyond column 96/7 then
the input-point suddenly jump to an indented new line below

This must be something really specific, maybe some bug triggered by something special in the line. (I have just tested and it does not happen normally).

Would it be possible to show me screenshot after this happens?

Quote:

navigator: I agree it must be available, but to the left of the editor as per the original
default, when it is to the right I find it not helpful/interferes with my visual feel for the code
and I always change it back to the middle/left of the editor, which is what I'm saying should remain
the default location

Well, my reason for having it right is that I want to have text in proper center, not look right all the time.

All in all, this is debatable, so I will stick with my instict for now. I anybody else complains about this, I might change the default...

Quote:

rescan file while editing: this is maybe just part of the start-up process of theide, and maybe I'm too quick
into editing for it to have finished scanning all sources used; after a project is open a while this
becomes less of an issue, I have not timed it, so maybe I should just be patient for the few minutes it
takes theide to set itself up - I'll monitor it and report if it persists

Have you ever tried to start Visual Studio? Smile

Mirek

[Updated on: Sun, 24 February 2019 17:55]

Report message to a moderator

Re: ide/editor usability issues [message #51241 is a reply to message #51238] Mon, 25 February 2019 08:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
word-wrapping code-lines: I fixed this by setting "Paint line at column" to 0 (in Setup/Settings/Editor)
and it seems to have stopped the wrapping - I'll monitor.. & maybe is the reason you cannot replicate it

navigator:
Quote:
Well, my reason for having it right is that I want to have text in proper center, not look right all the time.

All in all, this is debatable, so I will stick with my instict for now. I anybody else complains about this, I might change the default...

Just my half-a-cent: it's bad form to change de-facto standard behaviour on a personal whim; I know I can and do
change it back to the original, but I should not have to...
As a member of the Upp-user-community who have invested many-many thousands of lines code in production I really do not
want the tool to change behaviour (or appearance) when I amend existing projects.
Such changes to standard behaviour/appearance should be based on community vote/agreement
(it's like driving a car with stick-lever-gears that suddenly changes into steering-wheel-button-gears while you are motoring along - not healthy) Razz

Re: ide/editor usability issues [message #51242 is a reply to message #51241] Mon, 25 February 2019 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
slashupp wrote on Mon, 25 February 2019 08:06
word-wrapping code-lines: I fixed this by setting "Paint line at column" to 0 (in Setup/Settings/Editor)
and it seems to have stopped the wrapping - I'll monitor.. & maybe is the reason you cannot replicate it

That is correct (you cannot wrap if you do not know where), however I have that line active.

Just to be sure: I am still speaking about wraping regular code. If that happens, it is a bug that needs to be fixed, but I need a screenshot after that happened - that is because it is likely caused by something special in the line.

Comments wrap is ok and active by default.

Mirek
Re: ide/editor usability issues [message #51245 is a reply to message #51242] Mon, 25 February 2019 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
screenshot as requested
  • Attachment: ssupp.jpg
    (Size: 103.53KB, Downloaded 274 times)
Re: ide/editor usability issues [message #51247 is a reply to message #51245] Mon, 25 February 2019 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Oops. I am really sorry, but I have completely forgot about it...

Right click the editor and go to "Advanced". There is "Wordwrap" option. This is off by default and this was added based on community request (I could live without this).

Maybe I should remove the default hotkey?

Mirek
Re: ide/editor usability issues [message #51250 is a reply to message #51247] Mon, 25 February 2019 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
The Advanced/Wordwrap has no effect - code still wraps

( Razz 'tis what happens when you change the de facto defaults Razz )
Re: ide/editor usability issues [message #51251 is a reply to message #51250] Mon, 25 February 2019 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
slashupp wrote on Mon, 25 February 2019 11:23
The Advanced/Wordwrap has no effect - code still wraps

And was it on or off? For me all works as expected.

Mirek

Re: ide/editor usability issues [message #51252 is a reply to message #51251] Mon, 25 February 2019 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member

How would I check if it's on or off, nothing changes
I type stuff, it wraps
press Alt+W, type stuff, it wraps
(same with R-click)
There are no ticks/crosses/check-marks in the popup-menu that show the state

Is it safe for me to set "Paint line at column" to 0 ? There isn't anything else that depends on a valid setting?
(because it's the only way I have to switch off this wrapping)
Re: ide/editor usability issues [message #51253 is a reply to message #51252] Mon, 25 February 2019 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
slashupp wrote on Mon, 25 February 2019 11:47

How would I check if it's on or off, nothing changes
I type stuff, it wraps
press Alt+W, type stuff, it wraps
(same with R-click)
There are no ticks/crosses/check-marks in the popup-menu that show the state

Are we speaking about the same thing?

index.php?t=getfile&id=5771&private=0

(Going to check in linux...)

Re: ide/editor usability issues [message #51254 is a reply to message #51253] Mon, 25 February 2019 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
If you invoke e.g. Setup menu, do you see check at "Be verbose"?

Mirek
Re: ide/editor usability issues [message #51257 is a reply to message #51254] Mon, 25 February 2019 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
yes, same thing

"Be verbose" was not checked, so I checked it, no change to menu, and no check-box next to "Word wrap"
Restarted theide with verbose checked, still no change, no check-box
Re: ide/editor usability issues [message #51259 is a reply to message #51257] Mon, 25 February 2019 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
slashupp wrote on Mon, 25 February 2019 12:34
yes, same thing

"Be verbose" was not checked, so I checked it, no change to menu, and no check-box next to "Word wrap"
Restarted theide with verbose checked, still no change, no check-box

I was asking about "Be verbose" only to check that checkboxes work in the menu on your setup.

IDK. It feels like something really weird is going on here. For starters, can you "rebuild all" current trunk and recheck?

You can also check this code (.Check should add that checkbox there)

void Ide::EditSpecial(Bar& menu)
{
	bool b = !editor.IsReadOnly();
	menu.Add(AK_WORDWRAP, THISBACK(ToggleWordwrap))
	    .Check(wordwrap);

menu.Separator();

Mirek
Re: ide/editor usability issues [message #51261 is a reply to message #51259] Mon, 25 February 2019 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
I do not have Upp setup in a development-environment as such, I download the tar-ball from
https://www.ultimatepp.org/www$uppweb$nightly$en-us.html
then unpack it, switch to the unpaked-directory and do the make, make install routine

I checked the source and found the code you show in idebar.cpp - exactly as you show it.

Could that libbabel-issue I had, which is related to the debugger have an influence?

I'll anyway do a make clean and recompile everything again - are there anything you suggest I change before I compile?
Re: ide/editor usability issues [message #51262 is a reply to message #51261] Mon, 25 February 2019 16:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
Recompiled and no change, and no check-box either

I tried to follow the code but poking a stick at those COMBINE macros returned sawdust Smile

Only thing I can think of is that somewhere 'wordwrap' get set to true and left that way

Also I noticed that most of the menu-items has .Help(..) specified, but none shows up when the menus are used

[Updated on: Mon, 25 February 2019 16:50]

Report message to a moderator

Re: ide/editor usability issues [message #51263 is a reply to message #51262] Mon, 25 February 2019 16:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
slashupp wrote on Mon, 25 February 2019 16:46
Recompiled and no change, and no check-box either

I tried to follow the code but poking a stick at those COMBINE macros returned sawdust Smile

Only thing I can think of is that somewhere 'wordwrap' get set to true and left that way

That is likely.

What distro are you using? By "recompiled" you mean that you have downloaded a tarball and did 'make'?

Quote:

Also I noticed that most of the menu-items has .Help(..) specified, but none shows up when the menus are used

It does if you activate status bar. Frankly, it is not that important and that is why default is to it hidden and gain one more vertical line of text...

Mirek
Re: ide/editor usability issues [message #51264 is a reply to message #51263] Tue, 26 February 2019 06:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member

I am using Devuan (with openbox as window-manager)

I did make clean, make, make install using the tar-ball for svn 12781 I downloaded a week or so ago.

theide does not show debug info in its logfile: ~/.upp/theide/theide.log
what do I need to do to make it write to the log?
Re: ide/editor usability issues [message #51265 is a reply to message #51264] Tue, 26 February 2019 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Ultimate Member
slashupp wrote on Tue, 26 February 2019 06:24

I am using Devuan (with openbox as window-manager)

I did make clean, make, make install using the tar-ball for svn 12781 I downloaded a week or so ago.

theide does not show debug info in its logfile: ~/.upp/theide/theide.log
what do I need to do to make it write to the log?

Can you rebuild with theide?

(select ide in uppsrc, build, run...)

Mirek
Previous Topic: cannot debug app -SOLVED
Next Topic: Adding Zig Language Support [FEATURE REQUEST]
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:21:28 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02093 seconds