Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Newbie corner » Confusion about where to start or what to use
Confusion about where to start or what to use [message #51279] Fri, 01 March 2019 00:31 Go to next message
maunix is currently offline  maunix
Hi all, I reach the U++ project and its forum looking for ways to have multi platform support for my projects, altough i haven't tested the framework, as far as now on what i've read here and there, this framework seems to fit quite well for my needs.

The thing is that although I've read a lot here and there I am a bit confused about where to start or to be more precise, where to continue after starting.

As what felt most 'intuitive' I clicked in the download button go browses to Download

Sources

a) There are the tarballs which seem to be the latests and most updated information of the site and other sites
b) The svn repository I haven't checked that one.
c) The Git repository, seems to be updated but does not have the same info as the tarballs. For example i couldn't find how to build anything but I found how to on the tarball
d) There a reference to have the nightly builds present on launchpad (link: https://launchpad.net/~dolik-rce/+archive/ubuntu/upp-nightly). May be I am doing something wrong but the latests update seems to be from Jan.17th 2018

* as I have debian and Ubuntu I searched for both methods: compiling the sources and linking my repository to the ppa

e) Then there is a reference to the stable releases on https://launchpad.net/~dolik-rce/+archive/ubuntu/upp which are 2 years old (Jan 31th 2017)

f) Searching the forum for info of where to really start and I reached this this post of dolik.rce: The end (?) of ubuntu packages

This info is very relevant to show that may be the packages are slowly mantained or not mantained at all, which is perfectly fair, this project is run by volunteers but I think it is important for newcomers to know about where to start.

What I am trying to do is to help myself and other newcomers in the near future because if other users feel frustrated on how to start may be they will continue using something else.

So, going back to my first question which will be the right starting point to being and continue using this project on a multiplatform context: may be the most common scenario is linux, windows and mac os in the third place... further the embedded world as many others posted.

PD: as a matter of complete info I managed to download the sources and compile them and have my TheIDE built to run it but may be this post gives newcomers some clarify; may be this post can help website mantainers to view how a newbie like me reaches the site and how confusing some things may be. Perhaps some sections have to ve edited and or moved for the website to be more clear.

Please take my comments as a suggestion or advice, not as a request.

Best Regards

Re: Confusion about where to start or what to use [message #51288 is a reply to message #51279] Sat, 02 March 2019 19:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Klugier is currently offline  Klugier
Senior Contributor
Hello,

The information about unsupported packages (like Ubuntu one) will be remove from Download site tomorrow. The main reason for that is not to offer outdated packages for new users.

Backing to installation process on Linux it is relatively easy for power users. It means you need to know what the make is and how to download packages. So building upp from sources looks as follow:
- You download the package and unzip it on your hard drive
- The you download the require packages for your distribution via script "buildrequires.debian" or "buildrequires.fedora"
- The you start compiling TheIDE by using "make -j $(threadNumbers)"
- Your are waiting for final results
- You are installing the package using "make install" command (It should install upp for local user as far as I understand it know - so you can find TheIDE on your application list)

That's all - seems not difficult to me, because I made it over a dozen times Wink Anyway, for as it is worth it to support less confusing installation method like providing FlatPacks (Currently I found it useful for my current distribution). For us it is definitely easier way to distribute our product and it is good place for free advertisement. For example, if you are available on FlatHub your application is display on their website. The same thing happens with snap packages.

I also plan in the near future to record the video with voice commentary - how to build and U++ from scratches in Linux environment.

I would like to thank you for all your suggestions - the constructive feedback is important to us. However, we have a lot ideas of improvement, but due to limited resources and time we can not deliver everything we wanted. Currently, I am working on full time as a programmer, so I do not have much time I can spend on U++. Of course, we accepting any volunteers that want to help. Maybe you are interested in helping us?

Sincerely and one more time thanks for feedback,
Klugier

U++ - one framework to rule them all.
Re: Confusion about where to start or what to use [message #51394 is a reply to message #51288] Tue, 19 March 2019 23:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maunix is currently offline  maunix
Hi Olivier, thanks for your answer.

May be i was not clear enough with my post. I was able to install it but i was confused with the information, and as a newbie to this project it took me sometime and I thought my confusion would be the shared with another newcomer.

I would like to help but to be honest i dont have any freetime at the momento.

I am an embedded software developer mostly for baremetal microcontrollers. I do programm with OOP but for providing a gui to the embedded software. What i mean Is that i dont think to be as an advanced programmer to help.

[Updated on: Wed, 20 March 2019 00:52]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Confusion about where to start or what to use [message #51396 is a reply to message #51394] Wed, 20 March 2019 09:18 Go to previous message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
Hi maunix

In short, my recent experience in Ubuntu:
- Just in case, run
sudo apt-get install g++ make libgtk2.0-dev libnotify-dev libbz2-dev sox
- Download sources in any place from here
- Open terminal. cd to that folder
- make
- make install

That's all Smile

Best regards