Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » Good way to manage data without a database ? (Give me your knowledge !)
Good way to manage data without a database ? [message #51315] Tue, 05 March 2019 13:23 Go to next message
Xemuth is currently offline  Xemuth
Hello Community,

Today, I'm facing a problem.
I'm actually developping software dedicated to processing a lot of data extracted by itself.
Problème is, in my actual developpement environnement I can't have kind of standard way to store the data.
So the question is : How you guys would deal with this kind of contraint ?

And, if one of best way is storing data into Xml/Json, do you know if Upp have a Mechanism allow us to retrieve some
particulare data really quickly from this XML like an sql requete would do on a classic database ?

Thanks in advance !

Have a good Day !

Xemuth
Re: Good way to manage data without a database ? [message #51318 is a reply to message #51315] Tue, 05 March 2019 18:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novo is currently offline  Novo
Ultimate Contributor
Xemuth wrote on Tue, 05 March 2019 07:23

And, if one of best way is storing data into Xml/Json, do you know if Upp have a Mechanism allow us to retrieve some
particulare data really quickly from this XML like an sql requete would do on a classic database ?

IMHO, if your data has a fixed structure, then the best way to store data is a database. It can be an embedded database like Sqlite or FirebirdSQL.
If your data is read-only or has no structure, then XML or JSON should be your choice.
If you have a lot of data, you can store it in a multi-stream bz2 archive similar to Wikipedia dump.
In case you are not using a database you'll need to implement a simple one by yourself. This is not that difficult because you can create all needed indices in memory and serialize them in binary/XML/JSON format. It is very easy to serialize/deserialize data in Upp.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Novo
Re: Good way to manage data without a database ? [message #51325 is a reply to message #51318] Wed, 06 March 2019 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Xemuth is currently offline  Xemuth
Hello Novo !

I did not even think about SQL lite but this one can solve the problem.
I will try it.

Thanks for your help !
Re: Good way to manage data without a database ? [message #51326 is a reply to message #51318] Wed, 06 March 2019 13:30 Go to previous message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Novo wrote on Tue, 05 March 2019 18:05
Xemuth wrote on Tue, 05 March 2019 07:23

IMHO, if your data has a fixed structure, then the best way to store data is a database. It can be an embedded database like Sqlite or FirebirdSQL.
If your data is read-only or has no structure, then XML or JSON should be your choice.
If you have a lot of data, you can store it in a multi-stream bz2 archive similar to Wikipedia dump.
In case you are not using a database you'll need to implement a simple one by yourself. This is not that difficult because you can create all needed indices in memory and serialize them in binary/XML/JSON format. It is very easy to serialize/deserialize data in Upp.

Hope this helps.

Originally I was opposed to the idea, but I am on participating on development of very large application which stores a very large (10GB is not uncommon) and very complex projects simply by using U++ binary serialization as single file. Despite my reservations, it works pretty good. Surprisingly, no problems with format compatibility between versions. And superfast too... Smile

Mirek

[Updated on: Wed, 06 March 2019 13:31]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Macbook pro: what to buy?
Next Topic: Is it possible ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 08:15:47 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01033 seconds