Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Extra libraries, Code snippets, applications etc. » Applications created with U++ » Question about releasing and application
Question about releasing and application [message #51332] Sun, 10 March 2019 19:44 Go to next message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
Hi all

I have developed a software to handle hydrodynamic coefficients for floating devices simulations solvers, and I have thought to release it with GPL 3 in GitHub, including sources and binaries, versions GUI and command line. As it is GPL 3 and includes binaries I cannot put it in Bazaar. In the other side, GitHub seems to be very popular. The software is not big so I wanted to release just static binaries, making things as easy as possible for non programmer users and non U++ programmers.

There are some questions I wanted to ask you. Thank you:

- Running the exe in a new PC, Windows opens threatening windows. How to package the exe to avoid them as much as possible? Is it needed some kind of installer?
- How to create a .deb package for easy install for Linux users?
- Could I do it better?

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Question about releasing and application [message #51339 is a reply to message #51332] Mon, 11 March 2019 15:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
Quote:
- Could I do it better?

Probably not, sounds to me like you are actually caring a lot. Maybe even too much.

If you do release full sources, it's the only vital part.

Then making sure the way how to build is reasonably well described, and reasonably clean without extra hacks/hardcoded paths/etc...

Then focus on win exe and deb files, but eventually, if your SW is really interesting, it may gain some momentum and maybe somebody will help you to set up those further details.

I mean, it's lot more likely there will be no momentum at all, especially if you don't push the SW somewhere to make it visible, but good quality SW will eventually find its way. Smile

(and bad one may attract some more talented people to write alternative, so actually publishing piece of code which does resolve some of your real problems is usually win-win in the long term either way ... unless you are like Mirek, that your code is already at such level, that hardly anyone else can help Very Happy )

GL HF. Smile (github seems to be quite nice, I'm using it lately for some retro-computing projects)

[Updated on: Mon, 11 March 2019 15:12]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Question about releasing and application [message #51340 is a reply to message #51339] Mon, 11 March 2019 18:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Veteran
Thank you Mr_Ped

Fully agree.

About the binaries, I think they are important for gaining a little momentum. This is a software devoted to be used by non programmers... I do not want to force them to compile anything.

A great advantage of U++ over python, Matlab or libraries like Qt is that you can deploy portable binaries without any install. I wanted to use that advantage.

A problem is that Windows opens a threatening window, and I do not know to package it in a deb.

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Question about releasing and application [message #51515 is a reply to message #51340] Mon, 08 April 2019 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Veteran
I am fighting trying to deploy in Linux, but it is not easy Sad :

- Choosing Output Project/Export Mode, a set of files and folders is get. However, running "make" I get this error
*** No rule to make target 'plugin/FT_fontsys/config/ftheader.h', needed by '_out/BEMRosetta/BEMRosetta/GCC-Gcc-Gui-Linux-Main-Posix-Shared/main.o'

I cannot see from where "FT_fontsys" comes.
Doing the same with OpenGL package, I get the same error

- I have tried to deploy a .deb. However running it in other computer, it fails because the library version is not the expected:
error while loading shared libraries: libpng12.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Do you have any advice about what to do? Rolling Eyes

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Question about releasing and application [message #51516 is a reply to message #51515] Mon, 08 April 2019 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oblivion is currently offline  Oblivion
Senior Contributor
HEllo Koldo,

About the FT_Fontsys: Have you seen this thread?

https://www.ultimatepp.org/forums/index.php?t=msg&goto=4 6008&

Seems like a similar issue.

Best regards,
Oblivion

Re: Question about releasing and application [message #51518 is a reply to message #51516] Mon, 08 April 2019 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Veteran
Thank you Oblivion. It is not the same problem, but you gave me a clue: Output Project/Export Mode/All does not copy all used packages.

I have had to copy by hand these folders:

- plugin/FT_Fontsys
- plugin/lzma
- Web
- Turtle
- VirtualGui

Now it compiles Smile

make install does not work. How is it possible to add this feature?

Best regards
Iñaki

[Updated on: Mon, 08 April 2019 13:36]

Re: Question about releasing and application [message #51520 is a reply to message #51518] Mon, 08 April 2019 16:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Veteran
In addition, how is it used the Makefile in Windows?

Best regards
Iñaki

[Updated on: Mon, 08 April 2019 16:33]

Re: Question about releasing and application [message #51995 is a reply to message #51520] Mon, 01 July 2019 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Veteran
I have prepared this two bash in Linux. To consider that it compiles both the GUI and the CLI versions:
- The first packages all files including the not included by umk, calls the second to call "make", and cleans the compiling files.
This .sh is called to package oall to be deployed
- The second calls make.
This .sh is called by user to get the binaries

First call to umk, as it is the GUI version, includes all files. Second call to umk just gets the CLI makefile with proper flags.

I would like to prepare this for Windows, but I do not know how to make it all with MinGW

#!/bin/bash
echo -----------Preparing files
set -x
set -e
echo Remove old binaries
rm -f ./BEMRosetta_cl
rm -f ./BEMRosetta
echo Get GUI version files
umk Aplicaciones BEMRosetta/BEMRosetta    GCC -rx  +GUI,SHARED ./bemrosetta_files
mv ./bemrosetta_files/Makefile ./bemrosetta_files/Makefile_gui
echo Get CLI version files
umk Aplicaciones BEMRosetta/BEMRosetta_cl    GCC -rxM +SHARED ./bemrosetta_files
mv ./bemrosetta_files/Makefile ./bemrosetta_files/Makefile_cli
echo add additional files
cp -r ../BEMRosetta/BEMRosetta/.           ./bemrosetta_files/BEMRosetta/BEMRosetta
cp -r ../BEMRosetta/BEMRosetta_cl/.        ./bemrosetta_files/BEMRosetta/BEMRosetta_cl
cp -r ../../upp/uppsrc/plugin/FT_fontsys/. ./bemrosetta_files/plugin/FT_fontsys
cp -r ../../upp/uppsrc/plugin/lzma/.       ./bemrosetta_files/plugin/lzma
cp -r ../../upp/uppsrc/Turtle/.            ./bemrosetta_files/Turtle
cp -r ../../upp/uppsrc/VirtualGui/.        ./bemrosetta_files/VirtualGui
cp -r ../../upp/uppsrc/Web/.               ./bemrosetta_files/Web
cp -r ../../upp/uppsrc/*.h                 ./bemrosetta_files
cp -r ../../Upp_Libs/GLCanvas/.            ./bemrosetta_files/GLCanvas
cp -r ../../Upp_Libs/Controls4U/.          ./bemrosetta_files/Controls4U
cp -r ../../Upp_Libs/Functions4U/.         ./bemrosetta_files/Functions4U
cp -r ../../Upp_Libs/SysInfo/.             ./bemrosetta_files/SysInfo
cp -r ../../upp/uppsrc/CtrlCore/.          ./bemrosetta_files/CtrlCore
cp ./make_gui.sh ./bemrosetta_files/make_gui.sh
cp ./make_cli.sh ./bemrosetta_files/make_cli.sh
cd ./bemrosetta_files
/bin/bash ./make_gui.sh
/bin/bash ./make_cli.sh
echo -----------Removing temporary files
rm -r -f ./bemrosetta_files/_out
rm -r -f ./bemrosetta_files/BEMRosetta

make_gui.sh
#!/bin/bash
echo -----------Compiling GUI files
set -x 
set -e
rm -f Makefile		
cp ./Makefile_gui ./Makefile
make
cp ./BEMRosetta/BEMRosetta.out ../BEMRosetta

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Question about releasing and application [message #51998 is a reply to message #51995] Mon, 01 July 2019 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
coolman is currently offline  coolman
Experienced Member
Hi,

For application building I've been using UPP cmake. For automatic building and distribution of windows binaries I've been using GitHub and Appveyor. Take a look at Rajce application and Appveyor script

BR, Radek
Re: Question about releasing and application [message #52004 is a reply to message #51998] Wed, 03 July 2019 08:54 Go to previous message
Senior Veteran
Hi Coolman

It is very interesting. Thank you.

Best regards
Iñaki
Previous Topic: UppCAD
Next Topic: MobiView - viewer for environmental mathematical models
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 22:07:31 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01006 seconds