Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Newbie corner » SKYLARK or PHP/PYTHON? (Need recommendation for new development)
SKYLARK or PHP/PYTHON? [message #51352] Thu, 14 March 2019 06:59 Go to next message
Pradip is currently offline  Pradip
Experienced Member
Hello All,

Good day!

Having developed few Windows desktop applications for Engineering analysis using UPP, I'm facing a challenge: to embark on developing an ERP system for a medium sized organisation. It is going to be a big task involving lots of databases. While planning for the work, I'm trying to find answers to the following questions:

1. For databases, I'm planning to use MySQL or MS SQL; any recommendations?
2. Being completely new to web development, this question is haunting me: do I have to learn PHP/PYTHON, or SKYLARK can do better than them?

Last few days' research is indicating towards PHP+MySQL combination as most favorite among developers . However, to do it in PHP I have to learn it from scratch, while with SKYLARK I guess the gained knowledge of UPP may provide leverage.

Will be grateful to hear about it from folks.

Thanks and regards,
Pradip

Regards,
Pradip
Re: SKYLARK or PHP/PYTHON? [message #51353 is a reply to message #51352] Thu, 14 March 2019 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

Hi Pradip,

If you don't know any PHP and you're already comfortable with using DBs in Uppm it would seem a good idea to use what you know Smile Skylark can do anything you might need. I have written some webs in it and it works great.

However, there are few points to consider.

1. Are you the only developer? Finding PHP developers for your project in future will be much easier than looking for someone comfortable with Upp.
2. There are also other technologies, in most major languages (nodeJS, python, ...)
3. You could write simple frontend (any language, or even static html+js) in some language and let it access the data through upp/Skylark backend (which would return just JSON data, REST API, or something similar).

Other people might provide more insights... But in the end, you should decide what is most comfortable for you Wink

Best regards,
Honza
Re: SKYLARK or PHP/PYTHON? [message #51354 is a reply to message #51353] Thu, 14 March 2019 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
Dear Honza,

Thanks a lot for your views.

Me along with 2 juniors, as a team, are learning C++ and UPP; we have already delivered few desktop applications. The problem is, we all are novices in web development Crying or Very Sad, even for static HTML.

I have done some databases work before with MS Access, and have made some test apps with UPP+SQL, I think I can manage it.

Agree that PHP developers will be easier to find. However, being an Engineering organisation, this company prefers hiring Engineers and training them. I may appoint some more Engineers and train them in UPP technologies.

And finally there is demand for delivery Razz, too long learning curve may hurt us.

So I'll give SKYLARK a go.

Cheers,
Pradip.

Regards,
Pradip
Re: SKYLARK or PHP/PYTHON? [message #51355 is a reply to message #51352] Thu, 14 March 2019 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Xemuth is currently offline  Xemuth
Hello Pradip,

I'm curious to see how good skylark can be to dev that kind of project.
Could you give us some feedback about it after a few days ?

Thanks in advance !
Re: SKYLARK or PHP/PYTHON? [message #51356 is a reply to message #51355] Thu, 14 March 2019 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
Sure I will, Xemuth.

But do you have any apprehension about going ahead with SKYLARK for such project?

Regards,
Pradip

Regards,
Pradip
Re: SKYLARK or PHP/PYTHON? [message #51357 is a reply to message #51352] Thu, 14 March 2019 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Xemuth is currently offline  Xemuth
Absolutly not,

I'm actually learning Upp and gonna have to deal with the same project as you.
And, before your post I didnt even wonderer about using Upp in this kind of project.
So I think it could be really interesting to stay on Upp if this one with skylark is
enough good to answer my project

Have a good day!
Re: SKYLARK or PHP/PYTHON? [message #51360 is a reply to message #51357] Fri, 15 March 2019 05:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
Okay! I'll post my feedback about it next week.

TGIF Laughing

Regards,
Pradip
Re: SKYLARK or PHP/PYTHON? [message #51417 is a reply to message #51360] Sun, 24 March 2019 03:54 Go to previous message
deep is currently offline  deep
Experienced Member
Pradip

Instead of developing new ERP consider using open source ERP.

I suggest ERPNext. Check features before you start development.

It has active community. And truly open source like UPP.

You may require some customization based on your needs.

Warm Regards

Deepak
Previous Topic: SSLCertificate And Windows
Next Topic: SqlArray: Option widget linked to a referenced field
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 00:04:44 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01385 seconds