Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » U++ community news and announcements » plugin/zstd and plugin/zstd_legacy
plugin/zstd and plugin/zstd_legacy [message #51451] Tue, 26 March 2019 14:33 Go to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
This is not likely to affect many U++ users, but...

In the past, we were early adopters of Yan Collet's zstd compression library. We have adopted prerelease version into plugin/zstd. (Frankly, I needed something like that the app I develop...).

Unfortunatly, later the API and the internal format of zstd has changed, which made me stuck with that prerelease versio for about 2 years, undecided how to solve this (and original version worked just fine too...).

Today I have finally resolved the issue: plugin/zstd is now current version 1.3.8. in the "modern" format and to support older files, I have created "plugin/zstd_legacy". This has the same API for old zstd file format, the disctinction is done by namespace Legacy. So if you have both in application, you can use e.g. Upp::Legacy::ZstdDecompressStream to load old file format and Upp::ZstdDecompressStream to load 'modern' format.
Re: plugin/zstd and plugin/zstd_legacy [message #51458 is a reply to message #51451] Wed, 27 March 2019 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
Thank you Mirek. Nowadays, do you advice to use zstd better than 7z?

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: plugin/zstd and plugin/zstd_legacy [message #51459 is a reply to message #51458] Wed, 27 March 2019 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
koldo wrote on Wed, 27 March 2019 08:48
Thank you Mirek. Nowadays, do you advice to use zstd better than 7z?

Thats apples / oranges...

zstd is not about improving compression levels, but about doing high speed compression with zlib levels.

7z (LZMA) has better compression, but zstd is much faster.

On the opposite side of spectrum is LZ4 (by the same author), which is significantly faster than zstd (about twice), but the compression is not that great.

Mirek
Re: plugin/zstd and plugin/zstd_legacy [message #51460 is a reply to message #51459] Wed, 27 March 2019 16:29 Go to previous message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
Thank you for the clarification.

Best regards
Iñaki
Previous Topic: C++ 17 now supported
Next Topic: GLCtrl in GTK
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:21:15 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00981 seconds