Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » U++ Developers corner » How to determine if U++ is being utilized...
How to determine if U++ is being utilized... [message #53418] Thu, 02 April 2020 05:37 Go to next message
ptkacz is currently offline  ptkacz
Hi All,

I'm working on a library that will be made use of by a few different applications. For the applications that require a GUI, U++ will be utilized. In cases where no GUI is required, the standard C++ library will be made use of. While a non-GUI application will not require GUI visual elements, where needed, they may for example, still need need to process image data.

When developing code (I.e. classes or functions, etc) that makes use of U++'s framework, there are certain dependencies that will probably be inherited. The library becomes dependant on the U++ framework. If that same class or functions are to be reused outside of the U++ framework, they can't because of certain dependencies they are built around, dependencies no longer available.

Likewise, if code was first designed outside of the U++ framework, and later incorporated into a U++ program, the code would have to place nice in the U++ sandbox.

Is there a way for a library to determine or know if U++ is being made use of?

Peter
Re: How to determine if U++ is being utilized... [message #53419 is a reply to message #53418] Thu, 02 April 2020 06:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novo is currently offline  Novo
Ultimate Contributor
You could check for an Upp-specific define. flagMT, for example.
#define flagMT // MT is now always on

Regards,
Novo
Re: How to determine if U++ is being utilized... [message #53434 is a reply to message #53419] Fri, 03 April 2020 00:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Another candidate is UPP
#ifdef UPP
#else
#endif

Regards,
Novo
Re: How to determine if U++ is being utilized... [message #53456 is a reply to message #53418] Sat, 04 April 2020 02:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ptkacz is currently offline  ptkacz
Thanks Novo, to both your answers. I'm familiar with defining macros and making use of the logic directives (i.e. #if, etc). I was looking for something that could avoid having to manually make a macro definition, or prior inclusion, and then have to always make sure that things are defined or not when hopping from one application (project) to another.

After a little bit more digging on the web, it looks like C++17 has added to it for use with the marco pre-processor, a __has_include() function that checks if a header reference exists. Yesterday after updating my system, I tested out the following:

In TheIDE:
    #if __has_include("CtrlLib/CtrlLib.h")
        CtrlLayout(*this, "U++ Window title");
    #else
        CtrlLayout(*this, "U++ not here");
    #endif

and even,

In Code::Blocks:
    #if __has_include("iostream")
        cout << "iostream here." << endl;
    #else
        cout << "iostream not here" << endl;
    #endif

#if __has_include("CtrlLib/CtrlLib.h")
        cout << "U++ Window here." << endl;
    #else
        cout << "U++ not here" << endl;
    #endif

__has_include() worked in all circumstances, so it looks like I'll have to be making C++17 for just this one feature.

Some additional information on it can be found here, https://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/preprocessor/include

Again, thanks for your input!

Peter
Re: How to determine if U++ is being utilized... [message #53458 is a reply to message #53456] Sat, 04 April 2020 06:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
IMHO, you are over-complicating very simple things.
The whole idea of U++ is about turning very complicated things into very simple.
That is the point of U++. And you are trying to solve your problem in a completely opposite way.

Just my two cents.

Regards,
Novo
Re: How to determine if U++ is being utilized... [message #53459 is a reply to message #53418] Sat, 04 April 2020 06:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
BTW, __has_include() will detect U++ even if you are not using it ...
It is enough to just add path to uppsrc to include paths.

Regards,
Novo
Re: How to determine if U++ is being utilized... [message #53464 is a reply to message #53459] Sat, 04 April 2020 15:20 Go to previous message
Ultimate Contributor
On second thought, __has_include() helps to get rid of configuration tools like CMake/configure. This seems to be a nice addition to standard C++.
Thanks for pointing out.

Regards,
Novo
Previous Topic: umk static version
Next Topic: U++ does not appear to like playing nice with the Boost algorithm string library?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 16:31:41 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00965 seconds