Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Newbie corner » Building applications (Where are the .a and .so files?)
Building applications [message #54542] Wed, 12 August 2020 02:03 Go to next message
normvcr is currently offline  normvcr
Promising Member
After untarring upp-posix-14429.tar and building with ./install, I get the theide and umk binaries, but there are no .a or .so libraries for building applications. There are lots of .o files in the .cache hierarchy, however. How does one build the libraries and move them to a common folder? How does one collect the header files into a common folder? (I see there is a umk build utility, but I would like to be able to fall back to compilers and linkers, directly. Also, I have found a description of the umk command line, but not a high level description of umk for beginners)
Re: Building applications [message #54543 is a reply to message #54542] Wed, 12 August 2020 03:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Xemuth is currently offline  Xemuth
Hello Normvcr,

To speak about UMK we must first speak about packages. The thing is, an U++ application is made of "packages"

From U++ documentation
Packages are centric to U++. An executable application is built from a package. A package can also build into a dynamic link library. A package can be used by other packages. A package corresponds to a single directory with the directory name being the name of the package. The package directory contains the package definition file (a plain text file with a .upp extension), which always has the same name as the package directory. The package definition file contains a list of the source files that make up the package, plus information on what type of package it is, how it should be built and what other packages it uses. The source files for the package are normally located in the package directory and its subdirectories, but they may be in any desired location.

By example, most famous packages of Upp are:
-Core (which also include the plugin/z package) the core package is one of pillars of Upp framework, it provide a lot of interesting think
-CtrlLib (which also include CtrlCore(which also include ...)) the CtrlLib package will provide most of features you need to do real interesting GUI

Package can be configured to allow some option on compilation/linking depending on flags(by example depending on the OS or the build type)

UMK is a tool which will link a compilation toolchain (GCC / CLANG / MSVS) with all the U++ logic (packages, assemblies etc...)
so, when you will need to build an U++ application, instead having to specify to your compiler wich source code he should look for or wich librairy need to be link, Umk will read package information and will use the compiler you chose to build your application / dll ...

The way you link UMK to a compilation toolchain is by creating Build method which can be seen in TheIDE :
https://i.imgur.com/fq8AFCU.png

As you can see, in the build method editor window of TheIDE you can specify most of thing a compilator need.

Later when you will compile your package (which can contain some others packages), TheIDE will invoque UMK and use your current build method to build your app.
The current build method is here in TheIDE :
https://i.imgur.com/FwDbdFc.png

When you want to compile your package by command line (imagine you develop your application under windows then compile it on linux without any Graphical interface)
then you must call UMK (as you have seen in the doc) by specifing your build method, package, assemblies etc... (https://www.ultimatepp.org/app$ide$umk$en-us.html)

I'm not sure I answered your question, but maybe with a more precise vision about UMK your problem will be resolve

Xemuth
Re: Building applications [message #54544 is a reply to message #54542] Wed, 12 August 2020 03:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Also, to just awnser your question about .a:
https://i.imgur.com/lp4daX5.png
.h work the same but located under the "include directories" tab
Re: Building applications [message #54545 is a reply to message #54544] Wed, 12 August 2020 04:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
normvcr is currently offline  normvcr
Promising Member
Thank you for the replies! Here is a screen shot of my Build Methods. As you can see, there are no folders listed under LIB directories. The folders that you are showing are under C:\Upp\Clang, these do not seem to be the implementation libraries for Ultimate++. For example, why are the SDL libraries stored under C:\Upp? Are these not generic SDL implementation libraries? It seems to me that Ultimate++ does not provide a way to create the Ultimate++ libraries....?? Or, do I need to run umk on each package, individually, to create these libraries?
index.php?t=getfile&id=6161&private=0
Re: Building applications [message #54546 is a reply to message #54542] Wed, 12 August 2020 04:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
All my lib are located under a C:/Upp/.... because I'm working on windows, and when you download the windows version of upp you also donwload some libs (which has not been done by Upp but is used by it).

Since you are working on linux, I can't help you anymore, I will let another U++ member who know the linux env better than me help you

Quote:
Or, do I need to run umk on each package, individually, to create these libraries?

no, thoses libs have been compiled and provided by the entity wich own it (by example SDL2 have been recovered from here :https://www.libsdl.org/download-2.0.php)
Since Upp dont have the source code of this lib I don't see how he could compile it ( don't forget umk is just an interface between Upp logic and compilation toolchain)

Re: Building applications [message #54547 is a reply to message #54546] Wed, 12 August 2020 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
Dear normvcr

Your Build methods dialog seems to be right, and apparently your install is correct.
I would advice you first to compile some demos. You can choose any going to File/Open main package/examples, choosing one of the packages and compiling it.
As Xemuth explained, U++ structure is through packages, any U++ library is a package, a package can include more packages, and the main application is also a package.
If you feel you need more support you can ask in our Tutoring plan, that is totally free.

Best regards
IƱaki
Re: Building applications [message #54548 is a reply to message #54545] Wed, 12 August 2020 15:39 Go to previous message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
normvcr wrote on Wed, 12 August 2020 04:17
Thank you for the replies! Here is a screen shot of my Build Methods. As you can see, there are no folders listed under LIB directories. The folders that you are showing are under C:\Upp\Clang, these do not seem to be the implementation libraries for Ultimate++. For example, why are the SDL libraries stored under C:\Upp? Are these not generic SDL implementation libraries?

U++ for Win32 ships with a couple of external libraries, that is what you see there.

Quote:

It seems to me that Ultimate++ does not provide a way to create the Ultimate++ libraries....??

That is about correct. Not that it would not be possible, but they are not needed. Nobody cares too much.

In this regard, please consider the situation similar to e.g. Python - would you expect library files for Python libraries?

Any intermediate files are considered the implementation detail (.a files are sometimes produced, sometimes not, whichever fits the required build better).

That frankly means that you are required to use at least umk to build U++ projects. OTOH, you will not have to deal with library paths, build setup, include paths etc.. anymore.

Mirek
Previous Topic: build UMK from SVN repository on windows
Next Topic: error: duplicate symbol: std::__throw_bad_alloc()
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 23:44:52 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02156 seconds