Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » U++ Widgets - General questions or Mixed problems » [GlCtrl] Integration and use of Glad loader instead of Glew
[GlCtrl] Integration and use of Glad loader instead of Glew [message #54377] Wed, 08 July 2020 14:37 Go to next message
Xemuth is currently offline  Xemuth
Hello,

Glew have not been updated since 2017 and people on reddit and stackoverflow seems more rely on Glad (wich is another openGL loader/provider).
From here I propose to set up a Glad package in order to replace Glew.

(With glad we wont need to include glew anymore)

What you guys think about it ?

Best regard, Xemuth

[Updated on: Wed, 08 July 2020 16:06]

Report message to a moderator

Re: [GlCtrl] Integration and use of Glad loader instead of Glew [message #54378 is a reply to message #54377] Wed, 08 July 2020 16:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you want to have a look at how the package looks : https://github.com/Xemuth/UPP-glad

I have try it with OpenGL example (from reference) by replacing every include glew had by a single #include <glad/glad.h> and it worked well (on windows)
I also changed the MakeWGLContext function :
void MakeWGLContext(int depthBits, int stencilBits, int samples)
{
/*...*/
if(pass == 0) {
	HGLRC hRC = wglCreateContext(hDC);
	wglMakeCurrent(hDC, s_openGLContext);
        if(!gladLoadGL()){
		RLOG("Failed to load all OpenGL functions");
		exit(-1);
	}
	if(!gladLoadWGL(hDC)){
		RLOG("Failed to load Wiggle API");
		exit(-1);
	}
	if ("GLAD_GL_VERSION_2_1") enhanced_mode=true;
	wglMakeCurrent(NULL, NULL);
}
/*...*/
}

instead of :
void MakeWGLContext(int depthBits, int stencilBits, int samples)
{
/*...*/
     if(pass == 0) {
	HGLRC hRC = wglCreateContext(hDC);
	wglMakeCurrent(hDC, s_openGLContext);
	glewInit();    
	if (glewIsSupported("GL_VERSION_2_1")) enhanced_mode=true;        

wglMakeCurrent(NULL, NULL);
	}
/*...*/
}

I don't have made any change for X11 and GTK yet.

If you are interesse in change I can provide a patch file

[Updated on: Sat, 11 July 2020 19:29]

Report message to a moderator

Re: [GlCtrl] Integration and use of Glad loader instead of Glew [message #54661 is a reply to message #54378] Sat, 29 August 2020 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Klugier is currently offline  Klugier
Senior Contributor
Hello Xemuth,

It seems that GLEW will be soon updated to version 2.2.0 (Documentation updates for GLEW 2.2.0 release). So, the problem with outdated package will not be true. Bazaar should be as much compatible with uppsrc as possible. Introducing new library that do exactly the same is not very responsible decision. It is always add the need of maintenance, which is costly. You need to spend time to update the library and test if new version doesn't break compatibility. We should focus on one selected.

If we think that GLEW is bad then we should start discussion about moving towards GLAD for whole Upp. What things should be done in order to migrate to new library? Do I need to rewrite my app that loads OpenGL extensions?

I would like to also ask you about Vulcan. Do you plan any work in this area? It seems that this API is "OpenGL Next"? On the other hand do you consider to creating tutorial for learning 3D graphics with U++. I think something like "Learn 3D Graphics with C++ and Ultimate++". I think it would perfect opportunity to increase our ranges.

Sincerely,
Klugier

U++ - one framework to rule them all.
Re: [GlCtrl] Integration and use of Glad loader instead of Glew [message #54663 is a reply to message #54661] Sat, 29 August 2020 17:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello Klugier,

Klugier wrote on Sat, 29 August 2020 13:40

If we think that GLEW is bad then we should start discussion about moving towards GLAD for whole Upp.

GLEW is not bad, purpose of both lib is to provide wrapper arround all new OpenGL Function / Features. So in practice Glad/Glew do the same work, the problem originaly was the glew version in Upp was sync with OpenGL2 2.0(I'm not sure)(today we are at OpenGL 4.6) so many function and facilities introduced with new version are not visible. If GLew get an update then we could just keep it.

What things should be done in order to migrate to new library? Do I need to rewrite my app that loads OpenGL extensions?

From my point of view, switching from Glew to Glad mean modification in GLCtrl, the way OpenGL is loaded (via Glew or Glad). All the code arround OpenGL function is unchanged. A proof of this come from my SurfaceCtrl package(in Bazaar) which is just an inheritence of GLCtrl but instead of loading OpenGL with Glew it load it with Glad (That's why my GLCtrl is called "GLCtrl_glad"), today if Glew was up to date, I could easily swap my inheritence from GLCtrl_glad to GLCtrl (which use glew) and all the package would work the same.

I would like to also ask you about Vulcan. Do you plan any work in this area? It seems that this API is "OpenGL Next"?

Indeed Vulkan should replace OpenGL in future. It is provided by Khronos Groupe (the same company which own OpenGL). It can be way more efficient in terme of performance however it's harded to utilize. One of my objective is to master it. However before learning it I first must know OpenGL deeply (both api have a similare way of working in many area)

On the other hand do you consider to creating tutorial for learning 3D graphics with U++. I think something like "Learn 3D Graphics with C++ and Ultimate++". I think it would perfect opportunity to increase our ranges.

I would be really happy to provide some tutorial on How to do 3D graphics / basic games?(why not) with Ultimate++ (using U++ framework + package like SurfaceCtrl). And I think like you, this kind of initiative could bring some new members which want to learn C++ and OpenGL. However, before starting to do some article on the subject I first need a solide package in terme of OpenGL technique and possibility. (SurfaceCtrl package is on a good way and is introduction should come soon on the forum !)

Re: [GlCtrl] Integration and use of Glad loader instead of Glew [message #54678 is a reply to message #54663] Mon, 31 August 2020 07:48 Go to previous message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
I completely agree with Xemuth, and support him in his effort to create an useful control to show 3D geometries.

Best regards
Iñaki
Previous Topic: [SOLVED] MouseMove events in Windows and Linux
Next Topic: Changing mouse icon with MouseEvent
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 19:18:53 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03625 seconds