Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ TheIDE » U++ TheIDE: Other Features Wishlist and/or Bugs » New to Ultimate++. First impressions and sugestions to improve
icon12.gif  New to Ultimate++. First impressions and sugestions to improve [message #5487] Tue, 26 September 2006 21:59 Go to next message
lectus is currently offline  lectus
Hi!
I'm new to Ultimate++ and I'm really liking it. It looks like a promising project.
I first downloaded Ultimate++ 605 with Mingw, and was really impressed by how mature and easy to use the IDE and library are.
Although I think it lacks better documentation, the code completion and the samples were really good to have an overview.

I really noted that Mingw that comes with Ultimate++ compiles/links faster then the normal Mingw.
Then, I downloaded Ultimate++ latest dev version, and for my surprise compiling/linking with it seems slower (the real compilation time, after the lib is already built). Also it doesn't use the widgets look 'n feel of the other version (which I found cool), but draws native-looking widgets. How to use the other look? Is it possible to do skinning on the GUI?
What happened to the new version being slower? Will it change at final release?

Also, size of built executables could be improved. I don't know how, but if possible implement it please.

Also, I don't like the fact that the project is built to the \out folder. Can it be changed to built to the project path? (ex: C:\MyApps\MyPrj\MINGW.Blitz.Force_size.Gui\)

I think Ultimate++ is great development environment. It deserves better documentation and spreading around the internet. As I get used to it, I will try to contribute (with examples, tutorials and websites dedicated to it...).

Thanks

[Updated on: Tue, 26 September 2006 22:05]

Report message to a moderator

Re: New to Ultimate++. First impressions and sugestions to improve [message #5489 is a reply to message #5487] Wed, 27 September 2006 10:41 Go to previous message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Quote:

Hi!
Although I think it lacks better documentation

Docs should get much better in 611 version.

Quote:

I really noted that Mingw that comes with Ultimate++ compiles/links faster then the normal Mingw.
Then, I downloaded Ultimate++ latest dev version, and for my surprise compiling/linking with it seems slower (the real compilation time, after the lib is already built).

Well, this is something new Smile In theory, there is no reason, the mingw is same, the linker (which is our version reimplemented from the scratch) is the same.

The only explanation I can see is that "BLITZ" is not active. Also, is not it possible you are building release mode? (That is much slower; by default BLITZ is active in debug mode only because in the release mode it causes larger executables.)

Could you please verify these claims and also make some real benchmarks to help us to resolve this?

Quote:

Also it doesn't use the widgets look 'n feel of the other version (which I found cool), but draws native-looking widgets.

Well, most consider this as major advanatege Smile

Quote:

How to use the other look?

In your app, place

ChSetStyleStd();

at the beginning of GUI_APP_MAIN.

you can also use ChSetStyleClassic() to force Win98 look. This will likely grow in future.

In TheIDE, you can choose this theme in Setup/Environment/IDE.

Quote:

Is it possible to do skinning on the GUI?

Yes, see reference/Chameleon.

Quote:

What happened to the new version being slower? Will it change at final release?

If you help us to find the cause... Smile

Quote:

Also, size of built executables could be improved. I don't know how, but if possible implement it please.

That is mingw. There is little that can be done with it, other than to use Visual C++, which produces much better code (and is 2-4x faster at the same time).

Quote:

Also, I don't like the fact that the project is built to the \out folder. Can it be changed to built to the project path? (ex: C:\MyApps\MyPrj\MINGW.Blitz.Force_size.Gui\)

You can redirect where .exe is stored (in Output mode..), but storing intermediate files into project is something we consider a very bad idea - in fact, it was one of reasons to create TheIDE (before TheIDE we were using Visual Studio for development - and this behaviour was quite annoying).
Previous Topic: UPT - Ultimate++ Package Template Documentation available
Next Topic: Bugs 609-dev3
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 00:14:26 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.05256 seconds